General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The getting older and still riding thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:25 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,166 Likes on 11,106 Posts

It's the reduction in reaction time and muscle and nerve atrophy that decides when its time to quit riding.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by r-bar-j
Bought my 2016 Limited for my 70 birthday, having a great time. Lots of aches and pains, but wind in my face makes things better. Will keep going until knees and back give out.
Just entered my 70th year a week ago. I feel about the same as t-bar-j. Riding cross country to Sturgis, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maine, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland next summer. Thinking about a new ultra and leaving '10 down south for winter use. To poor to do much else but ride and take in this magnificent country before it becomes a third world again.

The following users liked this post:
Spy11 (05-14-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Spilot
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, I'm soon to be 58 and have been seriously considering buying a Road King after a 30 year hiatus from riding. Loved bikes in my youth and did a lot of dirt biking and motocross racing. This thread is making me reconsider...

Old 04-29-2017, 09:54 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 1,055 Posts

yup,gettin old sucks. still riding at 65 and dealing with carpal tunnel . while riding right hand tingling and going numb,I just deal with it.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:00 AM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

For me I'm in my mid 60's but I have had a few accident along the way and have been a Humpy Dumpy of sorts, been put back together a few times. Getting old with weaken bones and arthritis setting in. Now I love my softail I just didn't want to give it up, but being near unable to ride it I had to do something. I called Frankenstein and ordered a kit. This is a ball to ride I wish I had done it earlier. Different than on 2 wheels but just as much fun. No more pain when riding any more I'm back to those 200 miles a day trips, it's hard to pry myself off it.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:19 AM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking You betcha...

At the ride old age of 65 {and a half}, I'm riding more than ever. This month I will log almost 2,000 miles but it has been busy, great month. Did a 9 day trip to Utah towing the Dyna SG and rode 500 miles through the National Parks. A week later I did the 1,000 mile round trip from Tucson to northern San Diego county to attend the advanced Rider Training - Advanced Rider Skills course. Two full days learning to ride better/safer.

The ride home was a windy bitch, 35 - 40 that took 8.75 hours... lots of stops and you really have to slow down in the mountains not to mention all of the trucks throwing more bad air than ever but it was doable. Living in southern Arizona I can ride about 350 days a year and usually get out for 100+ miles several times a week.

For me the Super Glide, at just under 700# makes this possible. I have done 12 - 400+ mile days in the last year with my bride aboard for 4 of them. The Leather Like Bags and top case are a little smallish but we can still pack all we need for 4 day trips.

Just hope my health, which is good, continues... life is good!

Old 04-29-2017, 10:31 AM
09fitz
Road Captain
Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Spilot
Damn, I'm soon to be 58 and have been seriously considering buying a Road King after a 30 year hiatus from riding. Loved bikes in my youth and did a lot of dirt biking and motocross racing. This thread is making me reconsider...
58 is young. If you feel like it and want to I'd certainly keep going in that direction. Life is short, buy one and enjoy it. My brother is 62 and loves his Road King after years of being off one.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:33 AM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

Wow...You all make me feel like a youngster at 55 years young. I have noticed more aches and pains as I have gotten older, but still love riding 500+ mile days and hope to continue. I snapped a tendon in my right arm some 10 years back and my right hand feels it. My hand goes numb and cramps easily if I don't use the cruise. I love riding too much to want to give it. You all also give me hope that I will be riding well into my older age!

Old 04-29-2017, 10:36 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

Riding a trike in a stiff crosswind is quite a workout.
Also riding a sidecar takes a lot of upper body strength.
Both are fun, with less tip over danger.
Just not for everybody, and not for me.

When I can no longer handle the Electro Glide, or a Sportster, Street Bike
or whatever, you will probably see me riding a moped.

Accidents, bad weather, breakdowns, can not quit. This must be an addiction.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:43 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll turn 62 in June,retired little over a year ago after 42 yrs. in construction.Have an arthritic knee that'll need replaced someday too. Only concession I made was selling my RK and buying a Slim S last year,lighter,easier to swing a leg over and handle,but can't imagine quitting till I'm forced to for whatever reason.Still sucking air!!

Quick Reply: The getting older and still riding thread.