General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider w/Questions

Old 04-29-2017, 01:40 PM
bill21778
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider w/Questions

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot. I've never ridden a motorcycle but I've ridden atvs and other stuff . I want to get a harley. I'm taking the riding course next week. What's the best starter bike? I'll probably use it to ride around town mostly. Maybe some longer trips after a few months. I'm 6'1 190 lbs if that matters . Thanks

Old 04-29-2017, 02:01 PM
el_diablo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever bike you like most as long as you can afford it and good insurance. Don't start on a little "starter bike" because joe schmoe said it's a good learner. It's a waste of time and money.

I'd ridden quite a bit before, but when I bought my first Harley (the '07 softail Nighttrain I still have) I familiarized myself with it in the parking lot of the dealership, rode a bigger parking lot for a few laps, then rolled rush hour out of Oklahoma City and 50 miles home. Best decision I ever made was not getting a damn "starter bike."

Old 04-29-2017, 08:07 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Start with a Dyna. You will be there in a year anyway. You can keep the Dyna forever too.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:11 PM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

Your a pretty big guy. Look at the Dynas and Softails. You're smart in taking the riders course. just be careful out there.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:16 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

As a former MSF instructor, I would say, any bike can be a "starter bike" as long as you pay attention in class and recognize that any bike can be too much if you don't respect the torque that is under your right, the throttle, wrist. As big as you are, a "small" bike will be too small real quickly.

The following users liked this post:
Vernal (04-30-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 08:22 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Love the area that you are in. I visit there as much as possible. Seeing you have never ridden a motorcycle, I would wait till after you complete the riders course. Then you will at least have had some experience on a bike. After that I would go to the dealer and ask to demo a few of the USED bikes that they have. I would stay away from the dressers for now. Hope this helps.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:50 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

I guess I don't understand I have owned a motorcycle for 42 years of various makes and models and never once have I asked anyone what should I ride. There was anouther post like this that had a pole between two bike that a guy had asked I think the results were 54 to 2 so he bought the one with only 2 votes. Buying a bike I like anything else you'll know it when you see it. Take your class learn to ride grow a pair buy a bike and relax be safe and enjoy

Old 04-30-2017, 12:31 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

in 1972 I bought my first bike. figured I wold start with a small rice burner to learn.

5 minutes in the parking lot to get the feel of the bike, shifting, brakes, etc. I left the the parking lot. took me about 20 minutes to get home. about half way home I knew I made a big mistake. I should have bought a bike I wanted instead of the cheap rice burner.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

You can outgrow a bike pretty quickly. Just be smart and you'll be okay. A high school or college parking lot on the weekends would be a great place to learn. Make your own riders course and practice.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:57 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Starter bike? You're going to get a lot of different answers and opinions. It depends on how much money you have too. My "starter bike" was a '51 panhead.

Go to a dealership that has a demo day and test ride every bike that you like and choose it that way. After all, it's your choice and I can't and won't tell you which one to get because everybody has their own preference on which one feels and looks the best to them and that they can afford. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New rider w/Questions