General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any road rage incidents on your bike you regretted?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:53 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 539 Likes on 396 Posts

Many years ago, in the early '80s, I was heading home from work in the middle of 3 lanes. The speed limit was 35, which I was doing. A customized, very nicely customized, bright yellow pickup truck passed me on the left, When it was about a foot or two past me, the driver of the truck cut over in front of me. I just backed off and let this idiot go on his way.

About a mile later, as I approached a red light, there was the pickup stopped. As I reached the intersection, the light turned green. I went around the pickup and then moved over in front of it. The street, I knew from having driven that direction for many years, was a downhill sweeping curve to the right. I purposefully rode slow enough for the pickup to be tempted to pass me, but just fast enough to make passing me very difficult.

About midway through the curve I heard a scraping sound and then saw a yellow flash move across my mirror. This was followed by a loud crashing sound, then silence, then another crash followed by the sounds of a vehicle rolling and bouncing and skidding. I speeded up to a place where I could make a u turn and see what happened. When I got back to view what happened I saw the remains of the yellow pickup after it had tumbled down the hill.

I instantly realized that the truck driver had attempted to take the turn at too high a rate of speed, was grinding against the median separating the uphill and downhill traffic(the scraping sound), cut his wheel sharply to get off the median, and made a sharp right turn which him took him into the retaining wall on the right side of the curve(the crash sound that followed the yellow blur in my mirror). Then I saw something far worse then a demolished truck, the driver.

The driver was a late teen, or early 20s, girl. She was standing there in tears holding an infant in her arms. Since she seemed to be physically OK, and there were several people there with her I went to a 7/11 and called the police, then went on home. If it had been some young hotshot I wouldn't have cared, but this was a young girl that had possibly made an error in her driving. The momentary pleasure I felt in frustrating the fool in the pickup wouldn't have been worth an injury to her or her baby,

The following users liked this post:
FunGramps (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 12:09 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Everyone knows a pistol will stop a dump truck....

The following 2 users liked this post by Juan L:
FunGramps (04-30-2017), TwiZted Biker (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 12:25 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL
I do not get road rage.... never let it bother me....

plus, I always carry just in case...
Whatcha' got? I like my little S&W Mod 60 5-shot .357 magnum...compact, comfy and packs a punch (same as you-just in case).

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Many years ago, in the early '80s, I was heading home from work in the middle of 3 lanes. The speed limit was 35, which I was doing. A customized, very nicely customized, bright yellow pickup truck passed me on the left, When it was about a foot or two past me, the driver of the truck cut over in front of me. I just backed off and let this idiot go on his way.

About a mile later, as I approached a red light, there was the pickup stopped. As I reached the intersection, the light turned green. I went around the pickup and then moved over in front of it. The street, I knew from having driven that direction for many years, was a downhill sweeping curve to the right. I purposefully rode slow enough for the pickup to be tempted to pass me, but just fast enough to make passing me very difficult.

About midway through the curve I heard a scraping sound and then saw a yellow flash move across my mirror. This was followed by a loud crashing sound, then silence, then another crash followed by the sounds of a vehicle rolling and bouncing and skidding. I speeded up to a place where I could make a u turn and see what happened. When I got back to view what happened I saw the remains of the yellow pickup after it had tumbled down the hill.

I instantly realized that the truck driver had attempted to take the turn at too high a rate of speed, was grinding against the median separating the uphill and downhill traffic(the scraping sound), cut his wheel sharply to get off the median, and made a sharp right turn which him took him into the retaining wall on the right side of the curve(the crash sound that followed the yellow blur in my mirror). Then I saw something far worse then a demolished truck, the driver.

The driver was a late teen, or early 20s, girl. She was standing there in tears holding an infant in her arms. Since she seemed to be physically OK, and there were several people there with her I went to a 7/11 and called the police, then went on home. If it had been some young hotshot I wouldn't have cared, but this was a young girl that had possibly made an error in her driving. The momentary pleasure I felt in frustrating the fool in the pickup wouldn't have been worth an injury to her or her baby,
Good lesson there for guys/gals who haven't yet figured out why "getting even" is not the way to go. For years now, I just kick back and let it go. What I will do, is call the police if I get a plate# on someone who is a hazard on the road.

Originally Posted by rwhisen
Remember the old story about the .44 magnum round's ability to go through a engine block? Tried that at an old gravel pit way back when. No can do!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-30-2017 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RandyL (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,836 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGramps
Remember the old story about the .44 magnum round's ability to go through a engine block? Tried that at an old gravel pit way back when. No can do!
Didn't we all......

Old 04-30-2017, 05:56 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGramps
Whatcha' got? I like my little S&W Mod 60 5-shot .357 magnum...compact, comfy and packs a punch (same as you-just in case).
I carry a s&w 642 .38 revolver... fits in my pocket real nice and easy to pull out.

Originally Posted by rwhisen
it will stop the moron behind the wheel...so yes, it will stop a dump truck.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-30-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:52 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL
I carry a s&w 642 .38 revolver... fits in my pocket real nice and easy to pull out.

it will stop the moron behind the wheel...so yes, it will stop a dump truck.
Not if you don't see that dump truck coming. They can be sneaky that way!

Old 04-30-2017, 09:13 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

question....

What if you are right handed? Gotta take hand off throttle to access your firearm, and then at that point you've dropped way behind cause you have no means to safely control your gun and then throttle to catch up? Even if they were beside you, you'd still drop off behind, then you'd become the pursuer to catch up.

I carry on occasions because I know it'd only do me any good when off the bike. And then its only an ankle holster for comfort. So I'll just drop off and let the other party continue on. As I get older, I find I almost never get upset over other drivers regardless what they do. Just a quiet 'idiot' under my breathe and call it done and forget all about it.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:31 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,474 Likes on 2,476 Posts

I've kicked in doors, busted out windsheilds, and even cold-cocked a cabbie once that hit me on purpose. This was all back in the day when you could get away with duking someone out. Not nowadays. I got a friend who punched out a guy that was coming on to his wife. 1 punch in the snotlocker. Only ONE PUNCH! Busted the guy's nose. He lost his house, car,business, inventory, and still owes around 50K last time I talked to him.

The idiots here in Florida have a problem with tailgating. Mostly women in SUVs, and jerks in jacked-up PU trucks. I can take almost anything a road idiot does except tailgating. I give usually them the "slowdown". Used to brake check 'em but don't do it anymore. Dunno if this is true, but I have heard that here in Florida, if you scream at someone while driving or stopped at a light...no problem. BUT...if you get out of your car & scream at them, it is considered assault. Also heard it is considered road rage if you are in your car at a light & stare at someone for more than 8 seconds. Anyone know if this is true?

Last edited by dickey; 04-30-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:27 PM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

Just once when some idiot looked RIGHT at me beside her and starts turning into me almost pushing me up over the curb. I started unloading on her at the next light and unloaded on her banging on her window yelling "you hit me, YOU KILL ME!" She wouldn't look at me. Now I can't be bothered, I'll go ripping around you instead of engaging in rage

Old 04-30-2017, 10:53 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,599 Likes on 2,855 Posts

people in cars are are worst enemies......you should hear me scream in my semi at these morons in cars.......on my bike....not so much it's that self preservation thingy.

Quick Reply: Any road rage incidents on your bike you regretted?