General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about numbered paint jobs

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 12:27 PM
LornaD
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Question about numbered paint jobs

Hi Everyone, I am new here and have a question about numbered paint jobs. I have a 2012 Street Glide with a numbered paint job (#24 of 200). I stored my bike this winter in my shed (not heated) and did all the necessary prep, washed bike, filled gas tank, added gas treatment, kissed her good bye and when I went out to see her a few weeks ago, I discovered some of the paint on my gas tank has cracked and peeled off (in big pieces - not little chips). It is on both the top and bottom of the tank.

I didn't attach a picture of the damage as the pictures don't show it very clearly. I have added a picture of my bike and the paint scheme.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this on a numbered paint job.

Peeling in Alberta.

Attached Thumbnails Question about numbered paint jobs-20160403_152650.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 04:25 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Most likely not your fault

A good paint is all about the prep of parts being done. With cracking and peeling for no apparent reason goes back to the prep work was not done right. At all. Sorry to deal this to you but in all my years of custom paint work if not prepped sealed and painted right that what happens. Most time if part of paint does this only way to resolve is start over there are some shops that might be able to save it but most would not take the risk if there work doesn't fix it. Good luck. Ride safe. Wild Bill

Attached Thumbnails Question about numbered paint jobs-image.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
LornaD (05-08-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 06:29 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

What is the floor made of in your shed? Are the walls/ceiling insulated?

Old 04-30-2017, 07:15 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,353 Likes on 1,154 Posts

Maybe it's peeling because it's a fake #numbered paint job . Remove the tins and find some nicer colors .

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 05-01-2017 at 03:28 PM.
LornaD (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:59 PM
LornaD
6th Gear

Thanks Hurricane 68 for the reply. I think you are right and the tank was not prepped properly if at all. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this on a #'d or any type of paint job from Harley Davidson.

I am going to contact Harley to see if they will cover this, any advice on that?

Thanks again and ride safe.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:01 PM
LornaD
6th Gear

The floor is made of patio stones and the roof and walls are not insulated. It was cold in there but my car was parked outside the whole time and it didn't start cracking and peeling. Don't think the cold had anything to do with it.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
Maybe it's peeling because it's a fake #numbered paint job . Remove the tins and find some nicer colors .
H-D paint is fanatic in the process and QC areas of paint and finish. I really think this is a possibility.

LornaD (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 01:43 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

My bike has an HD numbered paint job and no problems at 50k miles and 10 years of hard travels.

LornaD (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:08 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

Originally Posted by LornaD
... I am going to contact Harley to see if they will cover this, any advice on that?
It's hard enough getting something covered in warranty. You think they'll cover a paint job that has been out of warranty for three years? Good luck but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

LornaD (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 07:13 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

These modern numbered jobs and CVO paints are not done at the Harley factory, they are subbed out.

I had a buddy who had a similar issue with one of about the same vintage. His was under warranty though. He fought and fought with the MOCO, and he didn't give up. Eventually they got so sick of him they gave him money for a whole new paint job. He picked his own colors and scheme and had it done by a local painter.

I have another friend who has a green and black CVO street glide, I think it's the same year as yours. He had some issues with the paint on the inner fairing, but ended up getting it fixed on his own. He and I talked with the guy who ran the shop that did the paint subcontracting about it at Sturgis a few years ago. I can't remember the name of the place, I think it was in Colorado or New Jersey, but you could probably google it and find out. Anyways, I didn't have a warm fuzzy about the custom paints after talking to the guy...

LornaD (05-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Question about numbered paint jobs