General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh Hail, no! ...or "Queens Saturday Ride"

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts
Default Oh Hail, no! ...or "Queens Saturday Ride"

Spent the whole day, yesterday, riding in VA with 2 old friends and one new friend. We rode through Hillsville, Pulaski, Dublin, Bland, Saltville, etc and visited Hungry Mother State Park and Big Walker Lookout in Wytheville. It was a beautiful day (85 degrees and sunny) and the scenery was equally beautiful.

I rode almost all day behind an ultra classic with one of those leather fringe mud flaps on the front fender. No comment on the styling of said fringe, but have you ever noticed that from behind, that fringe looks like there's an octopus caught under the bike scrambling to keep up? It was mesmerizing.

Riding in a group at speed significantly less than the speed limit, in the country where folks can't pass, is inconsiderate. So is passing a semi on the highway then slowing down. We did that. I'm a jerk by association.

The forecast was calling for a 20% chance of a shower, so I wasn't very concerned, although my friend suggested I bring along my rain gear "just in case". Just as we were gassing up to head home the sky turned very dark and we weren't on the highway for more than 10 minutes when it started raining. We suited up and 2 minutes later we were being pelted by pea sized hail. About 6 miles of highway riding before we got to a exit where we waited out the storm with about a dozen other riders who got caught out also.

I've got a mechanical question I'll post in another thread as soon as I figure out a halfway smart way to ask it.

So, here's just a few photos of the scenery.
Big Walker Lookout

My bike hidden by the big boy bikes.

Last edited by Queen-of-Clubs; 04-30-2017 at 08:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Queen-of-Clubs:
BikerPepe` (05-02-2017), LoneWoolf (05-02-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 07:36 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Nice pics. Sorry 'bout the rain and hail but still looks like a great ride was had by all. I was just on another thread talking 'bout sitting on my bike in my shop watching the rain and hail outside while I made engine sounds.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:45 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Beautiful scenery!

Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Tracy, nice pics. Hope.the rain didn't ruin the rest of the ride.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ILMFBL
sitting on my bike in my shop watching the rain and hail outside while I made engine sounds.
Awww...that's sad. I hope you get back out on the road soon!
Originally Posted by DanHappy
Hope.the rain didn't ruin the rest of the ride.
A little rain couldn't ruin such a nice ride It was just another chapter in the adventure.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:53 PM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Very cool pictures. Thanks for posting. I have climbed that tower. One of the nicest drives I have been on.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

Buddy of mine and I were up there this past Saturday...... We started in Laurel Springs, rode north to the "backbone" , then on to Tazewell, a loop of Burke's Garden, Grapefield, Bastian, Bland, Big Walker Lookout, Rural Hall, Sugar Grove, before returning to Station's Inn

I was surprised how little traffic there was compared to the madness that is "the Snake" or, even US-129 AKA "the dragon"
Beautiful countryside....

Old 05-01-2017, 05:52 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Glad ya had a nice day on 2 wheels. If I didn't ride with a chance of rain I would almost never ride. Last weekend was just a buzz kill though so I moped. Did ya ever try the ice cream at Big Walker? Pretty good and a nice little store. During summer months they will often times have a band playing or a solo thing going on. Always wanted to climb the tower but not for $5.00. Hell, that's a gallon and a half of gas!!!!

Old 05-01-2017, 06:09 AM
jc15025
Club Member

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Nice pictures except for the one in the rain. JC

Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs
Spent the whole day, yesterday, riding in VA with 2 old friends and one new friend. We rode through Hillsville, Pulaski, Dublin, Bland, Saltville, etc and visited Hungry Mother State Park and Big Walker Lookout in Wytheville. It was a beautiful day (85 degrees and sunny) and the scenery was equally beautiful.

I rode almost all day behind an ultra classic with one of those leather fringe mud flaps on the front fender. No comment on the styling of said fringe, but have you ever noticed that from behind, that fringe looks like there's an octopus caught under the bike scrambling to keep up? It was mesmerizing.

Riding in a group at speed significantly less than the speed limit, in the country where folks can't pass, is inconsiderate. So is passing a semi on the highway then slowing down. We did that. I'm a jerk by association.

The forecast was calling for a 20% chance of a shower, so I wasn't very concerned, although my friend suggested I bring along my rain gear "just in case". Just as we were gassing up to head home the sky turned very dark and we weren't on the highway for more than 10 minutes when it started raining. We suited up and 2 minutes later we were being pelted by pea sized hail. About 6 miles of highway riding before we got to a exit where we waited out the storm with about a dozen other riders who got caught out also.

I've got a mechanical question I'll post in another thread as soon as I figure out a halfway smart way to ask it.

So, here's just a few photos of the scenery.
Big Walker Lookout

My bike hidden by the big boy bikes.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:22 AM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skootchnc
I was surprised how little traffic there was compared to the madness that is "the Snake" or, even US-129 AKA "the dragon"
Beautiful countryside....
I was also surprised at the lack of traffic, it was great. I just think it's not as well known, because it had nothing to do with lack of scenery.

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Did ya ever try the ice cream at Big Walker? Pretty good and a nice little store. During summer months they will often times have a band playing or a solo thing going on. Always wanted to climb the tower but not for $5.00. Hell, that's a gallon and a half of gas!!!!
I did not try the ice cream, lol...but I bought a pint of local honey to take home. There was a band but we left before their performance. Places to go...lol

Originally Posted by Big Boz
Very cool pictures. I have climbed that tower. One of the nicest drives I have been on.
Nope...not gonna climb it.

Quick Reply: Oh Hail, no! ...or "Queens Saturday Ride"