General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easiest to handle, most comfortable ride for 2 advice

Old 05-01-2017, 01:21 PM
HDJake7993
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest to handle, most comfortable ride for 2 advice

I currently own an Ultra Classic but I'd like to down-size since we never go touring and I'd like to get another Harley that is easier to handle but still comfortable for both of us (cruiser with backrest and such). What models should I consider?

Old 05-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I would take the wife with you to the dealer. She is the one who will need to decide that. It will be a bit different for her coming off an ultra.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gozzie
I would take the wife with you to the dealer. She is the one who will need to decide that. It will be a bit different for her coming off an ultra.
Yup...what Gozzie says. I have a RKC which I absolutely love. We also own a Limited because the wife absolutely loves the passenger back rest (I hate the fairing!).

There is a compromise somewhere there between her comfort and your sanity.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:39 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

The two bikes that comes into my mind for the needs you describe would be either a RK or a Heritage Softail Classic.

They both have detachable windshields, and both have saddlebags.
Many other detachable equipment such as backrests, luggage racks, that can quickly convert either of the "cruisers" into a respectable "touring" bike.
The RK is more of a touring machine as it is a bit heavier than the Heritage and the suspension is a bit softer with more travel, but the Heritage has the nostalgic look and it's ride is acceptable, even with two-up riding and due to it weighing less and sitting lower than the RK it's much easier to handle.

Between the wife and I, we've owned 2 RK's (still have 1), 4 Heritage Softail Classics (she still has 1) and I currently have a Heritage Softail Springer.

I have a '13 CVO Ultra "road bike" that I use for long trips, but my wife rides her Heritage exclusively.

The THIRD choice (IMHO) would be the Street Glide which is a lot like the RK (only a bit more expensive) but it has the stereo system that some people like but it's shortcoming to some is the non-removable batwing fairing and windshield.

I'd suggest that you go to a dealership and test ride these bikes before making the plunge.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 05-01-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:47 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Yup...what Gozzie says. I have a RKC which I absolutely love. We also own a Limited because the wife absolutely loves the passenger back rest (I hate the fairing!).

There is a compromise somewhere there between her comfort and your sanity.

I suppose it's due to the fact that most of my riding seems to be touring on longer trips but I love my batwing fairing!
I've seen times when that thing really came in handy protecting me from the wind, rain, sleet and on a couple of occasions, hail!
I can "tuck in" behind it keep on a truckin'!

My wife rides her own bike (Heritage) so that's not a factor for me, I just like my "geezer glide" as it fits me and the type of riding I do.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

I'd recommend a Road King, Heritage Classic or Switchback. The Switchback is no longer in production, but you'll find lots of clean, low mileage examples in the classifieds.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:42 PM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Road King all the way. It's a much more comfortable ride - even if you're just running around locally.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:00 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,655 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by HDMIKETN64
Road King all the way. It's a much more comfortable ride - even if you're just running around locally.
The only obvious solution.

The following users liked this post:
HDMIKETN64 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 781 Posts

I would check out a Switchback. You would probably want to get better rear shocks for two up riding but it has everything a Road King offers with less heft. Just add a passenger backrest. You must test ride it though.

The following users liked this post:
LoneWoolf (05-02-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 05:46 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Heritage Softail Classic is easier to handle at low speed.

The Road King will be lighter than the Ultra Classic but will have the same seat height, steering geometry and suspension as the ultra classic.

In other words, a Heritage will be more different than your current bike than a Road King will be. Since you are looking for different that will still do two up comfortably with the potential for longer trips if needed, the Heritage is a no brainer. It feels more like a motorcycle and less like a yacht.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Easiest to handle, most comfortable ride for 2 advice