General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox shocks for Harley Davidson? Anyone running them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:48 PM
prerender
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fox shocks for Harley Davidson? Anyone running them?

I have had Fox forks/shocks on my mountain bikes and they are impressive.

However on Harley forums they are never mentioned. I mostly see Hagons, Progressive, Works Performance, Ohlins but never Fox.

Is there a reason why Fox never makes it to best Harley shock treads?

Old 05-02-2017, 03:49 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

I thought Fox stopped making for MCs.Bought some in early 80s for one of my BMWs,nice shocks.
FXR2s3s4s Harley shocks were made by Fox.These shocks were rebuildable.
But they were so short the bikes rode like buckboards.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:54 PM
prerender
Advanced

Here are the FOX Harley shocks, they do them for all types of Harley's (Touring, Dyna, sportster etc..)

http://www.jpcycles.com/harley-shocks/fox

I just don't know why there are no treads with info for FOX shocks. Also not much comparison or feedback/reviews online when I Google.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,519 Likes on 6,637 Posts

Best shocks I've ever had on a Harley were a set of Koni shocks. Much better than Works, Fox, or Progressive.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Billman812
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Haven't ran a set lately but 20 yrs ago had a set on a '80' FL bike. They valved and sprung them to order and were said to be fully rebuildable. The were the best looking thing out back then

Old 05-02-2017, 05:47 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I had no idea they were available for Harleys. I wish they made a 14 inch.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:09 PM
prerender
Advanced

Originally Posted by nevada72
I had no idea they were available for Harleys. I wish they made a 14 inch.
They do have a 14" one, Rusty Butcher also sells them:

http://www.ridefox.com/2016/product....=shocks&p=3353

nevada72 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:26 PM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by prerender
They do have a 14" one, Rusty Butcher also sells them:

http://www.ridefox.com/2016/product....=shocks&p=3353
Sweet setup. Pretty spendy but I'm sure they're great. Wonder how much travel they have?

Old 05-13-2017, 01:10 AM
afmoto
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had Fox IFP-R installed on my '16 SGS and it's a world of difference compared to the stock shocks. Really, if you pull the bags and look at the stock ones, you basically have one beefy shock that does all the work and then some essentially useless ornament on the other side. I happen to live close enough to Fox headquarters and my good buddy is one of the engineers working on Harley products, so I literally rolled my bagger into their R&D area and went through all the adjustments.

I would say that one of the most critical things is to set up the right suspension sag for your weight, in fact I would make sure you have your passenger with you when the sag is set up if she is usually on the back of your bike. Once you set the right sag, there's really no reason to mess with that anymore, maybe just play around a bit with rebound settings if your shock has them. Really, if you don't take the time to set up sag on a good aftermarket shock, it's probably not much better than the stock stuff and you wasted a bunch of money on Fox or Ohlins or whatever you prefer.

My SGS is definitely feeling more planted through long, sweeping corners and I spent a good part of today chasing my friends on Ducati Multistradas and other much sportier bikes than a bagger. They were quite surprised to have a Harley keeping up with them, especially on some of the really goaty, gnarly roads in the Santa Cruz mountains (N. California). If you're mostly riding on highways then maybe Fox shocks wouldn't make that huge of a difference, but if you like to go on more twisty roads, I think most riders would be amazed by the difference good shocks can make.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:47 AM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by afmoto
I recently had Fox IFP-R installed on my '16 SGS and it's a world of difference compared to the stock shocks. Really, if you pull the bags and look at the stock ones, you basically have one beefy shock that does all the work and then some essentially useless ornament on the other side. I happen to live close enough to Fox headquarters and my good buddy is one of the engineers working on Harley products, so I literally rolled my bagger into their R&D area and went through all the adjustments.

I would say that one of the most critical things is to set up the right suspension sag for your weight, in fact I would make sure you have your passenger with you when the sag is set up if she is usually on the back of your bike. Once you set the right sag, there's really no reason to mess with that anymore, maybe just play around a bit with rebound settings if your shock has them. Really, if you don't take the time to set up sag on a good aftermarket shock, it's probably not much better than the stock stuff and you wasted a bunch of money on Fox or Ohlins or whatever you prefer.

My SGS is definitely feeling more planted through long, sweeping corners and I spent a good part of today chasing my friends on Ducati Multistradas and other much sportier bikes than a bagger. They were quite surprised to have a Harley keeping up with them, especially on some of the really goaty, gnarly roads in the Santa Cruz mountains (N. California). If you're mostly riding on highways then maybe Fox shocks wouldn't make that huge of a difference, but if you like to go on more twisty roads, I think most riders would be amazed by the difference good shocks can make.
Good info.

This is where I think some people get disappointed. You've just described why you bought the shocks - better handling. And it sounds like you got the right shock for you. However, most HD riders are looking for a better ride, plain and simple. A performance shock will likely be more comfortable than the stock shocks. But it won't be as comfortable as shock designed and built to give a smooth ride like my Progressive 444s. Conversely, the Progressives won't give the performance increase like an Ohlins or Fox, but they will still make your bike handle better than stock.

All comes down to choosing the right brand for your needs. When I do my Superglide build, I'll give Fox a hard look as I know they make a quality product.

monckywrench (12-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Fox shocks for Harley Davidson? Anyone running them?