General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Palm Beach Harley - Once Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 03:03 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Palm Beach Harley - Once Again

OK - So, here goes. I had been texting the salesman that I had spoken to a couple of weeks ago and had made an "appointment" to shop for a bike today. I got an early morning phone call this morning from the dealership (not my salesman) to confirm my appointment and I went to the dealership. When I got there I went thru the process of meeting up with my salesman as well as who I think was his boss? I gave them the keys to my bike to inspect it for trade in value and proceeded to browse.

Once they were done, they presented me with my trade in value as well as the cost of the new Heritage I wanted (2 tone - teal & cream). NOW - I understand that purchasing a new bike is a negotiation - BUT - no matter how much they offer as a trade HOW THE HELL DO THEY PRICE OUT A NEW 2 TONE HERITAGE AT OVER $22,000.00 DOLLARS?

Their answer was that they priced their bikes out at local market value. WTF did that mean? They said that while a basic black Heritage was selling for a little over $20,000 a two tone, especially the one I wanted, was selling for over $2,500.00 more! HUH?

ANYHOW - I sat there calmly, slapped down a pre made out check and asked them if they could make it happen. They asked me how I came up with that figure so I whipped out a piece of paper that I had written down the MSRP on, deducted about 15%, deducted what I thought would be a fair trade in value of my bike and added the tax to the difference. By the time we got done we were only about $2000.00 apart, but I opted not to buy the bike. I gave them the option of no color (black) as well as finding a left over NEW 2016 but they only pressed on to sell me a 2017.

I'm not angry or disappointed, heck, I got to ride away on a Road King (my bike). I guess if business is that good you can afford to hold off for higher than MSRP. I've seen that with special models and limited editions but never in such generalities. I never let them know about the additional cash I had on me at the time figuring that if they came close I could always add cash to the deal. I just never felt that we were within striking distance.

I haven't ripped up the check yet and will let a few days pass before I do. I figure that if they were serious that they will give a call back and counter. And to think this all started off a couple of weeks ago with me wanting a new pair of gloves.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:26 PM
JerryW
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

At $2000 you were close but $22,000! It's $18,299 on the HD site, take a ride up to Treasure Coast, they can get the color you want. Why not a new Road King? I love my King!

Old 05-04-2017, 04:23 PM
jayelrider
Advanced
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you called Alligator Alley Harley and offered them the same deal?
I would drive (and have driven) an hour and a half to save $2k.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

I know what happened, they assume you are a "mental defective/challenged" for wanting to trade in a Road King for a Heritage and are trying to take advantage of you.

The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 04:41 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

18, 299 for a heritage?! Really? !!! I thought they were in the mid teens.

For a couple more you can get a road king.

Find somewhere else that will deal. Then go to this place to show them they suck and to check out the bike they could have sold.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:39 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,133 Likes on 11,098 Posts

Hmm, I would not have mentioned your trade until you had a price for the Heritage agreed on. Keep transactions separate, once you get a price settled on the bike you want, then hit them with the trade.
Spring is the wrong time to buy anyway.

Last edited by upflying; 05-04-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Buy a clean, low miles used Heritage for .50 cents on the dollar (if that), keep both bikes and call it good. There isn't anything a 2016 Heritage will do that a 2008 won't. Harley dealers have the ***** to put "deals" like that on the table because stupid people walk in every day and do it, then get an extra gang bang in the F&I office.

I'm doing my part, I'm starving them.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:14 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

Not sure why you're going from the King to the Softy but that's your business. It sounds like the M8 will be in all softails next year so I would wait until the end of the year.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:08 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I'd check out Treasure Coast and Alligator Alley too.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:03 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,740 Likes on 6,891 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastiff107
I know what happened, they assume you are a "mental defective/challenged" for wanting to trade in a Road King for a Heritage and are trying to take advantage of you.
Oh man, that's not right!

Quick Reply: Palm Beach Harley - Once Again