General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Good Lesson For Harley Salespeople

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts
Default A Good Lesson For Harley Salespeople

We've heard about arrogant salepeople here. Once again, never judge a book by its cover.

http://nextshark.com/lung-decha-thai...davidson-cash/

Old 05-05-2017, 06:25 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Lung got himself a bad-*** putt, but 17 large? Daaaaamn! I guess it's only money. It's not factory. Either it was used, and he got a Royal screwing, or he poured a bunch of dough into tires, stage one, etc.
Good for him. I, truly, hope he gets his money's worth, in miles and smiles. Feel-good click-bait Harley story, of the day.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:33 PM
roughneck266
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Lung got himself a bad-*** putt, but 17 large? Daaaaamn! I guess it's only money. It's not factory. Either it was used, and he got a Royal screwing, or he poured a bunch of dough into tires, stage one, etc.
Good for him. I, truly, hope he gets his money's worth, in miles and smiles. Feel-good click-bait Harley story, of the day.
Pretty sure it is because of him buying it in Asia. I was in Singapore, most of the bikes they had at the HD dealer there were well over 30G's.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Browning, nb
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty poor reporting. Taking a guys word, that looked like that for why he wasnt served is one sided. Im sure the sales people would have a different reason why he wasnt served if they were asked.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:22 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Years ago I had my sales booth by the entry to the superyacht show in Seattle. The president of the company was with me in the booth. Seattle has a lot of homeless. A raggedy old man came in our booth. The president took me aside and said get rid of him. I walked over and asked him if I could answer any questions. He had a bunch so I answered all his questions. My president was getting antsy, kept giving me the eye to get him away from our booth. I enjoyed answering and talking to this old guy. After we spent 1/2 talking, he said thank you, turned around and nodded to a well dressed man, he came over and the old man told this young man to purchase 4 of my most expensive product. He turned, shook my hand and said thank you. Later, I met him again, just walking the dock, he invited me aboard his 165' yacht.
But my Harley experience after my divorce was an eye opener. I'd had Harley's before my divorce, but was broke after. I bought a house with every cent I had and had one leaking air mattress and freedom. I bought a 1980 Honda CM400T at a garage sale for $200. Saved, and saved, had enough for a new sporty. I drove my Honda to the local Harley dealer, salesmen were busy talking with friends. I waited, looked at sporty's. Salesmen talked to each other. After 30 minutes, I left, got on my Honda and rode down the street to the metric dealer. They asked what I was looking for, I told them a sportster. They had a couple used and new Suzuki C50 at the same cost as sporties. They tossed me the keys, said ride everything. I ended up riding home on a C50. Great motorcycle, toured from Montana to Arizona and met great riders. When I had saved enough to buy another Harley, I went to a different Harley dealer than the local on where I had been a customer before my divorce. They were not interested in me when I was looking to buy a sporty, they certainly were not going to get my touring business. The salespeople who ignored me did not recognize me on my Honda, so they ignored me. That in my book is no excuse. But the are a yuppie dealer, catering to the Microsoft crowd and did not need to deal with poorly dressed men on an older Honda.
So, thie OPs story rings true to me. It is they way I run my business. I had a disheveled young man come to my business years ago. Obviously autistic. He had been to our competitors and treated the same way I was at Harley. I did not know that them, but I treated him as a customer, provided him all the information and samples he needed. Years later, we gave him an award for buying 1 million of my product, and he kept that up for years after that. He has always favored us for the way we treated him at the beginning. Once he made it big, all our competitors went after his business, but he always gave us first shot.
Maybe it would have jus been easier to say, if you judge a book by it's cover, you might miss a great story.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

17 grand? For a Sportster??? He'd have been better off if they ignored him. At least he wouldn't have gotten robbed!

Old 05-05-2017, 08:42 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadghost
We've heard about arrogant salepeople here. Once again, never judge a book by its cover.

http://nextshark.com/lung-decha-thai...davidson-cash/
You got that right. Back in the late nineteen eighties, a friend of mine worked in Bloomingdale's where a platinum card I believe it that time meant unlimited credit.

My friend said it is amazing how some people will come in looking so poor wearing such ratty clothes that you want to hand them $10.

And then they pull a platinum credit card. He said it is so mind blowing.

Like me. Well, maybe not like me but you know what I mean. LOL

BuzzCap7

Old 05-05-2017, 09:02 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,066 Likes on 11,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
17 grand? For a Sportster??? He'd have been better off if they ignored him. At least he wouldn't have gotten robbed!
I reckon a sportster costs $17,000 in Thailand.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

A friend of mine is a multi millionaire. He dresses in sweatpants and a faded stained sweatshirt almost daily. Never judge a book by its cover.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

I find it odd that several news outlets didn't say where this happened (Thailand). My parents taught me from the age of 5 or less - you want to be taken seriously - dress the part.

We may be be up to our eyeballs in political correctness but Asian countries don't have all those hangups - and they are extremely prejudiced in many cases. I have personal and direct experience with it. Hired help beaten if service not appreciated, certain members of society treated worse than the folks in steerage in the Titanic, caste systems defined by displays of wealth and affluence.

This story - not surprising at all and no lesson that I can see other than the equivalence of hitting a winning lottery ticket.

Quick Reply: A Good Lesson For Harley Salespeople