General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best price for 2017 Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:48 AM
Birdman2010
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best price for 2017 Road Glide

I love my FJR1300 for solo rides. I took my wife to a couple of the Harley demo events and we absolutely love the 2017 Road Glide for two-up riding. I live in Arizona and I take trips for California on a regular basis. Where can I get the best price on a 2017 Road Glide? Thank you for your insider knowledge and advice!

Cheers!

Old 05-07-2017, 12:57 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Rent one first for the trip.

A few hundred to make sure you want to drop $25K on one is the best way to make sure of your choice.

Are you financing? Id head to your credit union and shop a loan before going to the dealer.
Then let the dealer know you will be paying cash. No, it probably won't make much difference, but you can speed up the BS back and forth.

Have a friend that sent his wife to do battle with the dealer wearing low cut and shorts. He think's it worked.

Also, Id wait till the 18's come out in case they improve anything. Frame is a rumor right now.

So take the trip but rent. Maybe take two trips and rent a Road Glide on one and an Ultra on the other. Some dealers might reimburse some or all the rental cost at purchase.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Birdman2010
1st Gear

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Rent one first for the trip.

A few hundred to make sure you want to drop $25K on one is the best way to make sure of your choice.

Thank you for all of the great advice! I'm here as a new member on this forum because $25k is a big chunk for me! I thought about buying a used HD off of Craigslist, but HD did a really great job on marketing their Milwaukee-Eight. I am sold on it and I want one! I looked at the Costco powersport purchasing program. It seems like all brands are covered except, you guessed it, Harley Davidson!

That is great advice on renting. I found this company that will rent the bike for $89/day. They are only offering the Street Glide, though. I like the Road Glide. I will call them and see if they will do this rental deal on a Road Glide: http://*******.com/kwqretb

In the FJR1300 world, the forum members told me about a dealer in California that was blowing out the 2015 FJR1300 for $10,500. I went out there and picked one up! I will take a drive for a $5,000 savings!

Is it possible to get a good deal on a Harley by finding the right dealer or does HD control the price?

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2017, 10:55 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,133 Likes on 11,098 Posts

Dealers control pricing and dealers in the same area tend to be owned by the same person or corporation.
Dealers tend not to deal on new bikes but you might be able to negotiate set up and doc fees.
I also think some dealers engage in price fixing to prevent shopping around.
Spring is the wrong time to buy, demand is up. I bought my Superglide on January 3 when dealers are starving and showrooms deserted. The OTD price (tax and lic) was the same as msrp...about a 12% discount.
There is a website called seedealercost.com where you can check what the bike cost the dealer. The numbers are approximate as other profits are built into the sale.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:54 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Because of the new M8 engine you will likely be paying MSRP. You are also in the heart of the riding season. Maybe when the 2018 models are released you will find better deals?

Old 05-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Birdman2010
1st Gear

Originally Posted by upflying
Dealers control pricing and dealers in the same area tend to be owned by the same person or corporation.
Dealers tend not to deal on new bikes but you might be able to negotiate set up and doc fees.
I also think some dealers engage in price fixing to prevent shopping around.
Spring is the wrong time to buy, demand is up. I bought my Superglide on January 3 when dealers are starving and showrooms deserted. The OTD price (tax and lic) was the same as msrp...about a 12% discount.
There is a website called seedealercost.com where you can check what the bike cost the dealer. The numbers are approximate as other profits are built into the sale.
@upflying: thank you very much for this advice! I need to save up for January! I'm getting excited now! I'm going to be cruising on a 2017 hold-over Road Glide in January 2018!

Old 05-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Birdman2010
1st Gear

Originally Posted by baka1969
Because of the new M8 engine you will likely be paying MSRP. You are also in the heart of the riding season. Maybe when the 2018 models are released you will find better deals?
I can definitely wait until January to save a few thousand dollars! A 2017 Road Glide sounds like the perfect Christmas present, just a month late! I'll put a picture of a 2017 Road Glide in a box and wrap it. I'll put box under the tree. My boys will get their gifts on Christmas and mom and dad will wait a few weeks to get the most expensive gift of them all!

Old 05-07-2017, 01:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,902 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman2010
I love my FJR1300 for solo rides. I took my wife to a couple of the Harley demo events and we absolutely love the 2017 Road Glide for two-up riding. I live in Arizona and I take trips for California on a regular basis. Where can I get the best price on a 2017 Road Glide? Thank you for your insider knowledge and advice!

Cheers!

Do not look in Ca. whatever you do.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,902 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman2010
I can definitely wait until January to save a few thousand dollars! A 2017 Road Glide sounds like the perfect Christmas present, just a month late! I'll put a picture of a 2017 Road Glide in a box and wrap it. I'll put box under the tree. My boys will get their gifts on Christmas and mom and dad will wait a few weeks to get the most expensive gift of them all!
Didn't make a dimes difference when I was shopping, started looking last Aug when the M8's came out I was quoted MSRP and 6 to 8 weeks to get the bike I wanted, November was the same deal when a local dealer got the model & color I wanted. I bought New Years eve and still it was MSRP.

We did cut the dealers setup fee's ( those are BS you can cut half or better ) and what I did get was a couple services a new air cleaner and tuner, 2 factory service manuals and the rear docking hardware for the sissybar & luggage rack tossed in.

Don't be shy about asking for extras if they aren't moving off MSRP.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Birdman2010
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Don't be shy about asking for extras if they aren't moving off MSRP.
Hahahahaahaa!!! Your avatar is so funny!

Thanks for the advice on the extras. I will definitely keep that in mind!

Quick Reply: Best price for 2017 Road Glide