General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Dangers Do Driverless Cars Pose for Motorcycles

Old 05-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Will Driverless Car Legislation Make Motorcycles Obsolete

This technology is coming faster than anyone could foresee. Its something that needs to talked about sooner rather than later. Some experts say as soon as 20 years all cars will be self driving. As you can see from this excerpt from an article the author thinks that high performance cars and MOTORCYCLES will be verboten!! This is his opinion and probably not very likely but it is something we may have to deal with.

"We can anticipate three phases of government policy regarding self-driving cars. In the first and current phase, government regulators working with industry leaders anticipate and look to head off problems, so that self-driving cars can be introduced and sold to the public. The second phase will be one of transition, as new driverless or semi-driverless cars share the road with the legacy fleet of manually operated cars.
This column addresses an issue that will arise in the third and final phase, when driverless cars dominate the roads: Should people who prefer to drive for themselves be permitted to do so? The NHTSA guidelines do not address this question, but in twenty years or so, state and federal regulators will need to. With progress on self-driving cars coming much faster than many experts anticipated, it is not too early to begin thinking about whether we should work towards banning human driving on public roads."

It's worth noting that Motorcycles and high-performance cars will both be verboten in an autonomously-driven world. Additionally, the government'll control the speed and course of your transportation—taking you the long route when additional fuel subsidies're needed; the short route when global warming takes precedence; past Uncle Joe's Pancake Lodge (encountering a plethora of stop(ed) lights and reduced speeds) when Uncle Joe donated to the governor's last campaign.....yada, yada, yada

link to whole article. https://verdict.justia.com/2016/10/0...cars-mandatory

Last edited by Beak; 05-07-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:32 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Maybe motorcycles will become "riderless?"

Old 05-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,341 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Well if you were to get into a crash with one , who's going to call 911 .

Old 05-07-2017, 12:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,225 Likes on 11,133 Posts

Probably no worse than all the millennials texting.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 05-07-2017 at 12:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 12:44 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

May be safer, nobody actually aiming for you.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Trench
Cruiser
Received 151 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll bite..

To my mind, and I'm considered somewhat "radical" by those who know me, the loss of the ability to drive oneself wherever one wishes has the potential to spark a major and popular uprising against the all-powerful Nanny Government more than any other issue. There are lots of people who go through the daily grind every day who are sick of being told what to eat, what to think, what to say (and what you can't say) and how to live. These same people have been taxed to death, lied to endlessly by the government through its "propaganda arm" mainstream media, and had all manner of weird, PC doctrine shoved at them endlessly. For a lot of people, the drive to work, at lunch, and home during the week is the only time they're in control of where they go and how they get there and how fast or slow. Just look at motorcycling...to most of us it can be summed up in one word..FREEDOM. Not fuel economy, certainly not safety, and sometimes not even comfort.

Imagine your daily life if you were told starting next monday you're not allowed to drive anymore..period. No car, no bike, stay off the roads.

And before I forget, when Google Cars, Apple Cars and Tesla Cars are the only ones allowed to use the roads, don't think for one moment that you'll stop paying taxes for the upkeep of the roads and these mega-companies will start footing the bill..we'll subsidize the lot of them like we do now. Just look up how much Federal Funds Tesla gets if you don't believe me. And just because they promise driverless cars will not have accidents don't think you'll have no insurance requirement if you're even allowed to own one.

There's been some issues with driverless cars not seeing bikes...or pedestrians.

Maybe for a lot of city dwelling, hipster, embrace-the-future type, gender fluid world-citizens this is a fantasy of theirs...a world with even less responsibility, more autonomy, more government oversight, the promise of more "safety" (as always at the expense of Liberty) and more free time to text, chat, instagram, and shop. Not me.

I'm not a youngster, but if this **** was on my doorstep when I was 23 yrs old and there was a group sworn to smash it down, I'd sign up. Free men and women getting into their own privately owned vehicle and going wherever the hell they choose whenever the hell they choose, is a major part of what remains of American freedom...so, Im opposed to it.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

No more DUIs, you can have sex at will, elderly passengers, cars with home theater systems...
The intelligent highway system and unmanned conveyance of the future does not include motorcycles, so there you go- planned obsolescence.
https://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/es.../07-0301-O.pdf

Old 05-07-2017, 01:06 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

The driverless cars in tests have repeatedly swerved in to pedestrians to avoid other vehicles so I'm going to say very small risk to people on motorcycles.
But as you a clearly a over reacting paranoid I'm going to say that the self driving cars are specifically programmed to go after people on Harley Davidson motorcycles with and extra special hatred for touring bikes

Old 05-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Trench
Cruiser
Received 151 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneyFatBoy
The driverless cars in tests have repeatedly swerved in to pedestrians to avoid other vehicles so I'm going to say very small risk to people on motorcycles.
But as you a clearly a over reacting paranoid I'm going to say that the self driving cars are specifically programmed to go after people on Harley Davidson motorcycles with and extra special hatred for touring bikes
I assume this assault on sentence construction and spelling is aimed at me?

Cars swerving into people to avoid other people in cars is ok with you then? Perhaps it's arithmetic...avoid the car with 5 people inside and take out the two kids in the crosswalk instead. Where would you fit in to that math if you're solo on whatever you ride? And I'm not paranoid, or I wouldn't post publicly on a forum..so there's that. And aside from offering my opinion here, I haven't "reacted" to anything at all, much less over-react, so there's that too.

To show no hard feelings, let me help you communicate better though the magic of English:

Use an before a word that starts with a vowel sound. If it does not start with a vowel sound, use a. For example:
A man
An elephant
But, look at this:
A house
An hour
The key word here is sound. It is not a question of whether the word starts with a vowel. It is a question of whether it starts with a vowel sound.

Last edited by Trench; 05-07-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,103 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Probably no worse than all the millennials texting.
Likely better than a distracted human driver. A driver less car is never going to get drunk or distracted by talking on the phone or texting or all the above.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Dangers Do Driverless Cars Pose for Motorcycles