General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too early to ride through the mountains with a lot of twisties?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 03:15 PM
maKINGwaffles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Too early to ride through the mountains with a lot of twisties?

So I've driven through mountains in Laos and Vietnam and didn't have much trouble on the Honda Win 110cc bike I owned in Asia, but on the Harley I bought a week ago I find slow sharp turns a bit tougher. I'm headed up to upstate SC tomorrow and have like 6 hrs to kill between the time I meet friends for lunch and the next for dinner, which gives me enough time to hit up some of the great rides in the Appalachian foothills which feature a ton of twisties and 180s. Think it's too early if I've only owned the bike for 200 miles? Got any tips except take it slow and watch out for animals, gravel, and oil on the road?

Old 05-07-2017, 03:17 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,916 Likes on 3,018 Posts

nothing else to offer. 200 miles isn't enough. The Harley ain't no 100cc Honda.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:20 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by maKINGwaffles
Got any tips except take it slow and watch out for animals, gravel, and oil on the road?
No, go for it.
That's the same advice given to folks with 1,000's of miles riding experience.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:24 PM
maKINGwaffles
Intermediate

Well the weight of the bike is the only thing that I am concerned about. I'm confident with gears and everything. Most of the roads in Laos were gravel, I was carrying 40 lbs worth of gear, and there were quite a few twisties. But again, were talking a 110cc 200 lb bike compared to a 1200cc 560 lb Sportster.

The following users liked this post:
Hippe44 (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 03:24 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Harley

It probably makes a difference which Harley you have...If it is a touring bike, you need to go slower than on say a Sportster. You didn't say which bike you are new to.
Yeah, a Harley is a bit more of a handfull than a 110cc Honda. Are these 2 bikes the only ones you have ever ridden ?
On a 110cc bike, you could feel like you were flying, while only doing 30mph. It makes a big difference.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:25 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

The most important thing about riding in the mountains is to stay focused and never ride beyond the capability of you or your machine.

I've been riding in mountains and canyons for almost 50 years and I still constantly tell myself those two things when riding the twisties.

Enjoy your new HD.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:27 PM
maKINGwaffles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dyna rider
It probably makes a difference which Harley you have...If it is a touring bike, you need to go slower than on say a Sportster. You didn't say which bike you are new to.
Yeah, a Harley is a bit more of a handfull than a 110cc Honda. Are these 2 bikes the only ones you have ever ridden ?
On a 110cc bike, you could feel like you were flying, while only doing 30mph. It makes a big difference.
Sportster 1200XL Custom

As far as bikes owned, yes in consideration of motorcycles. I live in Vietnam and have owned a couple automatic scooter types haha, but that traffic is too crazy to enjoy driving a manual.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:29 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

Some people are genuinely scared to take on twisties at first. If you lack that inhibition - you are ahead of the game.

I take motorcycling a bit like learning music. Don't try to play the whole piece at once - start with a small section and repeat.

If you have a section of road to try, take a 2-3 mile stretch and go back and forth. That way you're not what seems like parsecs from home if you have to turn around.

When that feels good - go for it.

I'd also get real familiar with the concept of countersteering and know how to use it and be very practiced with it before taking on any big challenges.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:07 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,123 Likes on 11,095 Posts

Regardless of weight or size of motorcycle, physics takes care of leaning in the curves. Weight only becomes an issue if you have to pick it up.
If you rode on gravel and in Third World traffic, you have more experience than most of us here.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Rosco61
Cruiser
Received 108 Likes on 30 Posts

Just remenber the motorcycle goes where you are looking every time. Look thru the corner not at the gravel on the side of the road. Works every time
Twisties are where the fun is.

Quick Reply: Too early to ride through the mountains with a lot of twisties?