General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on buying a Road King.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:50 AM
Ludadave
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on buying a Road King.

Hello all, new here from Raleigh, NC by way of Milwaukee, WI.

I'm in the market for a new bike and after some test rides I've settled on the Road King. I want a "touring" bike me and the old lady can get away on and the Road King just fits. I like the style and the feel of it vs anything with a batwing. The Ultra Limited for example is a beast of a bike and I just don't have the skill set to tool around town on that thing. The Road King however is something I can pop over to the local watering hole/event with ease or load it up for a long trip with the wife. I've been riding on/off all my life but quite a bit in the last 4 years. This will be my first Harley Davidson.

So, I test drove a 2014 Road King in Blue/Black (she sure is purty), it has ABS, security, pass floor boards, highway pegs, driver & pass backrests, 4-point dock and only 2300 miles. They are asking $16k

I also test rode a 2017 Road King (Silver...meh), it has ABS, security, pass floor boards, 4-point dock. Tagged at $20k

My impressions, first off.... that Milwaukee Eight engine is really different from the 103. The power right off the throttle startled me and it really is an overall "smooth" engine. You still get some Harley rumble but just the right touch IMO. The 103 wasn't bad, plenty of power but not close to as smooth. Other then the engines the two bikes are almost identical.

Here is my dilemma, The 2014 appears to be the better buy with all the extras on it already, the low miles, the color that I really love and a much lower price.

The 2017 has the Milwaukee Eight, a superior engine IMO but I'd have to pay a higher price for the same add ons the 2014 already has and I don't love the colors that are available. Even after haggling prices I'm guessing I am going to pay at least $4k more for the 2017.

I'm all about getting what I want but I'm also about saving money...that always feels good too. My biggest concern with these two bikes is heat. I plan to ride this bike loaded down, with passenger and on long weekend trips up to the mountains (Blueridge Parkway/Skyline Drive). 2-3 hrs between stops. I read that the 103 gets HOT for both the driver and passenger. I've had an exhaust leak before and my seat would just burn me up before I realized what it was and fixed it, "butt" my point is that it was no fun getting that hot.

I also read that the Milwaukee Eight's design considered heat and things that could be a nusance have been reconfigured for both the driver and rider to reduce the heat they would feel.

I'm asking anyone with experience on the 2014+ Road Kings with the 103 if heat is an issue for the driver and also the passenger?

thanks! Dave

Last edited by Ludadave; 05-08-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

It's a Harley. Heat is an issue....until you gut the cat. Push to get that '14 OTD for as close to $14k as possible. Honestly, plenty of dealers were giving discounts on the 16 models upwards to $4k. The fact that 4 months ago, you could find a 16 RK for almost 17k should be a point you can make to the dealer.
BTW: Add on's are worth NOTHING unless you let the dealer know they are worth something.

*Try to get the first service or 2 thrown in as well.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (07-05-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Ludadave
Intermediate

Thanks man, valuable feedback! I also just found this...seems it would reduce heat as well as prolong engine life. Anyone have experience with this feature?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:55 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Go to a dealership and see which one looks good, that fits you the best and buy it. Another way is if a dealership has a demo day and test ride every bike that you like and choose it that way. After all, it's your choice and I can't and won't tell you which one to get because everybody has their own preference on which one feels and looks the best to them and that they can afford. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:57 AM
Ludadave
Intermediate

"gut the cat" I assume you mean the catalytic converter......you can do that!?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludadave
"gut the cat" I assume you mean the catalytic converter......you can do that!?
Yes. Plenty of info on the forums on how to as well. Or you could find someone selling a catless header. Saw one last week for $75.

Any fuel management system that will richen the bike up will help it run cooler. Almost everything on the road is designed to run lean from the factory.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:08 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,205 Posts

Owning both a 15 RK and a 17 RGU - The 107 theres a big differnce.
* Riding in Texas heat - the 107 purrs, the 103, well..
* The 107 is a much quicker bike
* It does take a while to get used to the clutch on a 107

But as Im typing the RK has the air cooled 107....

My .02, forget the mod value.. Buy what you like and are comfortable paying for..

Old 05-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Ludadave
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Almostinvincible119
Yes. Plenty of info on the forums on how to as well. Or you could find someone selling a catless header. Saw one last week for $75.

Any fuel management system that will richen the bike up will help it run cooler. Almost everything on the road is designed to run lean from the factory.
Good stuff...seems I could apply some fairly inexpensive mods to get that 2014 more to my likeing.....performance wise.

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Owning both a 15 RK and a 17 RGU - The 107 theres a big differnce.
* Riding in Texas heat - the 107 purrs, the 103, well..
* The 107 is a much quicker bike
* It does take a while to get used to the clutch on a 107

But as Im typing the RK has the air cooled 107....

My .02, forget the mod value.. Buy what you like and are comfortable paying for..
thanks! I suppose the 17 RGU is a bit smoother and more powerful being liquid cooled. But as I said in the OP the '17 RK was noticably quicker and I liked it!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-11-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

This may be an "apples and oranges" comparison, but we're still talking about the 103. I installed an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner and Power Commander V on my '14 Ultra Limited. Thereafter, it was dyno'd and tuned (i.e., enriched). I've done no objective testing, but I can tell you, "seat of the pants", the bike is running cooler. That, and I gained 10% HP. If heat is a concern for you an the RK, you might also consider "crotch coolers" [from Cap't Itch it think]. Ride safe.

Ludadave (05-09-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 09:52 AM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Last year I bought my 2012 RKC at Ray Price in Raleigh. Best dealer I ever dealt with! The bike only had 11K miles when they got it but replaced both tires, front brake, complete service and really went over the bike. I brought it back to Wilmington and the aftermarket exhaust was popping. I called them. They sent a truck over, picked it up, drove it back to Raleigh, retuned it and trucked it back to me in 2 days. At their expense. Really a top operation. They were very fair on the price and my trade in (a Big Dog paper weight). I will always give them my business. In over 50 years of riding, with over 100 bikes, this Road King is the best of them all!

Ludadave (05-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a Road King.