General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love Jugs or Wards fan owners, I have a ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Love Jugs or Wards fan owners, I have a ??

Today along with 1000+ Law Enforcement Officers and approx. 200 Patriot Guard/American Legion Riders I took a 6.5 mile procession route to honor murdered Iowa Deputy Sheriff Mark Burbridge from his memorial service to the funeral home.

It was an honor to support this fallen hero.

Now for this thread;

During today's procession for the first time I tested out my newly installed Love Jugs Mighty Mites. (similar design to the Wards fan)
The outside temperature was in the mid-upper 80s and I traveled for the most part in 1st gear for the entire 6.5 mile route.

I will say that the Love Jugs did seem to keep the engine temp somewhat cooler given the conditions, however the actual Love Jugs themselves was so hot you would get burned if you touched them and they emitted a great amount of heat.

I think the heat that was emitted by the metal on the Love Jugs and the hot air flow out the opposite side of the engine offset any personal cooling they may have provided me.
I turned them off but the heat generated by the metal heated up from the engine still created an uncomfortable condition on my left knee area.
So I turned them back on and left them on.

Is this a similar condition that others with like or similar "cooling fans" have experienced?
I'll be honest with you; even though the engine might have been a bit cooler, I think I paid a price for that in comfort.

Sorry Steve, but these Mighty Mites just get too damn hot.
I've got to figure out a way to cool them down to the touch or I'm going to have to take them off.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 AM
dave@love-jugs
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Bluraven,

Your comment "I will say that the Love Jugs did seem to keep the engine temp somewhat cooler given the conditions, however the actual Love Jugs themselves was so hot you would get burned if you touched them and they emitted a great amount of heat" Since this is the first such observation and by no means typical, I would like to help you solve your issue.

All Love Jugs fans are custom manufactured with proprietary improvements that makes them far more rugged than any off the shelf product, that includes their ability to withstand high the temperatures as you described. All Love Jugs models are designed to operate for thousands of hours in the very harsh environment that they are exposed to. I mention that because if I had to bet, you are not using them as recommended, we recommend that if your engine is running, so should your LJ's. (Unless on cold days where you welcome the engine heat) If your Mighty Mites are getting as hot as you describe, there could only be one reason. They are not activated, if they were, the housings would not get hot because of the huge amount of ambient air that is flowing through them. That large volume of fast moving ambient flowing through the housings, would not permit the housings to get very hot. The Mighty Mites themselves do not create any heat when operational. If on the other hand, you ride with the MM's turned off, the radiated heat from your engine would transfer quite quickly to the housings, creating the issue you describe. I would ask that you to use your Mighty Mites as recommended, I'm confident that you will be delighted with the results. I hope this helps solve your issue.

Thank you for your feedback. All feedback on any of our products is always analyzed and addressed internally. In our thinking, there is no better way to build the perfect product, which we strive for every single day.

Dave, Engineering Department.

P.S. I think they look really nice on your 2009 Heritage.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:15 AM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the Wards Parts Werks fans on my2016 Tri-Glide and am happy with them. No more engine "ping"after the install and I did do a 1 1/2" tank lift after which helped keepthe engine even more cool. This is not in any way about which productis the better answer, just as you asked what I am using. I did look at andcontacted Love-Jugs and spoke with someone regarding their product. At the timeLove-Jugs did not offer the Mighty Mites and I simply did not like the looks ofthe fans they offered at the time. The look was just too big and I didn't thinkthey would complement the look of the bike or at least not stick out inappearance. I was looking for something that would help the heat issue andwould look like good on my bike. Because of the many options for color orfinish options I chose the Wards fans. I was and am very impressed with thefit, finish and performance of the fans I have and do not regret havingpurchased them. If both products were available today and I was in themarket I do not know which ones I would go with, I would be asking the samequestions as you are. Before the install the bike would be very hot in just afew miles (under 5) and the issues we are trying to correct or avoid would showup. The fans don't get so hot that you can't touch them without getting burned,my left leg is not as hot as you are speaking of, and I do notice a bit moreheat on the right leg if I am sitting for a long period of time but notun-bearable. My bike does not have a oil cooler and came with the mid frame airdeflectors stock. I cannot give you specific information regarding beforeand after engine or oil temps but I did notice a even cooler running bike afterusing Amsoil in all three holes after changing over at 1000 mile service. I amnot trying to start another oil debate here, just my experience. I do believethat if I install (and plan on) a oil cooler the heat issues will be a thing ofthe past. I will probably install one with fans to provide extra cooling whensitting for long periods of time or riding in first gear for extended times asyou have done. I am no engineer or by any means an expert no the subject but Ido believe in my case there is not any one single product that will be the doall end all for the heat issues that my bike has. I am very happywith the Wards fans I have now and do like not having to turn them on or offbecause of the thermostat, not putting down the Love-Jugs product, justanswering your question.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Thanks Mike, that's the input I'm looking for.

Dave, I thought also what you suggested that perhaps I'd lost power to the Mighty Mites and that's why they were heating up.
However I placed my hand to the inside of them and could feel the air flow.

Also, when I turned them off I could feel the air flow diminish on the right side of the heads so I'm sure they were running.
Since I installed these I've always kept them running.

When I get a chance in the next few days I'll see if I can test these out again.
I do have an infared themometer, so perhaps I'll be able to take a couple of readings and send you my findings.

I want to make it clear, the fit and finish of these are outstanding and there's no doubt they do create a large air flow volume.

If my issue is an isolated one I don't want it to appear that all Love Jugs aren't what they should be so I'll work with you guys directly.
I've got your e-mail address so I'll contact you via e-mail and we'll try to figure out what I've got going on.

Once we figure it out, I'll post the resolution here.

Thanks,

Last edited by Bluraven; 05-10-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:59 PM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Your welcome Bluraven. don't know what happened with all the typos, did it in a word document and copied it into the post. Must be getting to be time for my eye exam.