General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Harley did I just buy?

Old 05-09-2017, 02:59 PM
jlivin28
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Harley did I just buy?

First time posting so be easy on me and my stupidity.

Long story short I bought a bike at what appeared to be a pretty solid deal. Always wanted to own a HD and thought it would be a fun project to get it running. I was told it was a 1989 Sportster 883 with a custom frame and inverted fork swap and matching rear swingarm. In conversations with insurance companies they are wanting to know the make and model of all the constituent pieces and of course I have no idea and neither did the guy who's barn I found it in.

Here is what I do know:

Frame is stamped with a VIN that starts with 1HDCUS then 11 digit alphanumeric. Everyone in the insurance world says this is not a legit VIN even though I have an Ontario ownership with it.

Engine has Serial number with a star then starting in "CAMM" then a 7 digit number and another star. I can't decipher this using any of the Engine Code guides I have seen so far online.

Front Inverted fork with dual discs, has a Harley badge on top of bar mounts but this may not actually match the forks. Rear Swing arm and wheel matches.

Anyone seen a frame/forks/rear end like this before? Any info would greatly increase my chances of actually getting to enjoy this bike on the road at some point. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jlivin28; 05-09-2017 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 05-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Dam. Rear wheel and front end look metric. Sport bike stuff. Someone will chin in with the vin info. Good luck that's certainly a project.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

almost looks like a kawasaki mean streak

Old 05-09-2017, 03:08 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,041 Likes on 11,061 Posts

More photos would help..especially of the VIN and engine #.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:23 PM
buell95
Road Warrior
Received 497 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by jlivin28
First time posting so be easy on me and my stupidity.

Long story short I bought a bike at what appeared to be a pretty solid deal. Always wanted to own a HD and thought it would be a fun project to get it running. I was told it was a 1989 Sportster 883 with a custom frame and inverted fork swap and matching rear swingarm. In conversations with insurance companies they are wanting to know the make and model of all the constituent pieces and of course I have no idea and neither did the guy who's barn I found it in.

Here is what I do know:

Frame is stamped with a VIN that starts with 1HDCUS then 11 digit alphanumeric. Everyone in the insurance world says this is not a legit VIN even though I have an Ontario ownership with it.

Engine has Serial number with a star then starting in "CAMM" then a 7 digit number and another star. I can't decipher this using any of the Engine Code guides I have seen so far online.

Front Inverted fork with dual discs, has a Harley badge on top of bar mounts but this may not actually match the forks. Rear Swing arm and wheel matches.

Anyone seen a frame/forks/rear end like this before? Any info would greatly increase my chances of actually getting to enjoy this bike on the road at some point. Thanks in advance!

The frontend and rear wheel appears to be off a buell.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:28 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by buell95
The frontend and rear wheel appears to be off a buell.
Buells had a single with their inverted front ends, dual was a option. Then the rim rotor in 03. I know what you mean but the buell wheels had less angle to the spokes. The fender looks Suzuki to me.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:45 PM
TBT3
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You could try putting in the VIN at Harley's website. If it's an 81 - present it should be in there.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2017, 05:49 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

I hope you got it for under $1250.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:57 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Welcome to the site! No clue but sounds like you got avenues to go down or help.
Hope you don't get screwed and able to get in insured.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:20 PM
BigRedUltra
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm no expert for sure but that sure don't look like any Harley engine I've ever seen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Harley did I just buy?