Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Riding at night- (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1175501-riding-at-night.html)

Imold 05-09-2017 07:19 PM

I really like night riding, but there are so many deer now I usually only ride at night to get home. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't live in a area where there is almost always a car coming the other way, and wouldn't see a deer in the glare till the second you hit it. I seldom go over 50 in the dark now. I did a late night ride on my sidecar rig in a snowstorm last winter just for the fun of it, and that was great, hardly any cars out, snow so cold you could hear the tires crunching it, but I seldom got over 35. Not for the deer, for the 2-3" of snow. :D Amazing how much better that one headlight works when everything is white, too.

NCBANDIT 05-09-2017 07:21 PM

I don't go out of my way to ride at night but don't avoid it either. In deer country it's high beams all the way, and on a constant look out for deer. I have hit 2 deer with cars and neither time was it avoidable. They came out of the woods like deranged linebackers and rammed the front corner panel.

son of the hounds 05-09-2017 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 16221011)
Night riding is cooler, winds calm, engine runs better, paint, chrome and women look better.
But don't ride between midnight and 5am.
Whatever happens during those times is always bad.

I concur with up flying, I love riding at night, only difference for me is that on long days, I'll often be on the road 3:30-4:00 AM. I prefer early starts, being off the road 3-4 PM. There are a lot of weekend trips where I don't get home much before 11:3o PM. I enjoy being extra alert for deer, bear, elk, and other critters like coons, possums, or Pumas. But as up flying has said, night riding is cool, calm, it does seem the engine sounds smoother, and everything looks better.

Ben221 05-09-2017 07:34 PM

We try to avoid at all cost due to the amount of deer in our area. The drunks too of course.

JohnMn 05-09-2017 07:39 PM

Ride it,,
Trust your gut.
Simple.

joe.1955 05-09-2017 07:48 PM

The only chance I got to ride The Dragon was at night on the way back from the east coast. I'd like to go back and ride it in daylight - on a weekday. :D

BluesCast 05-09-2017 07:55 PM

I wear my sunglasses at night so I can.. So I can...

...ride my motorcycle.

not a sock 05-09-2017 08:37 PM

........couldn't pay me to ride at night..........:icon_rain:

ChickinOnaChain 05-09-2017 09:06 PM

I wanted to see...only if I have to...like getting a late start from where you went to. With my eyes and way too many goofballs, I try not to. Besides, they can't see us during the day, they sure won't see us at night.

YammyDrummer 05-09-2017 09:11 PM

Yes...love riding at night