General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer jacket

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Tjenson123
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Summer jacket

Looking for a summer/3 season/4 season jacket for extended road trip. Want a hi-viz model. Like HD quality but their color coordinator has a palette with one color - black. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-11-2017, 04:01 PM
MFJones
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-11-2017, 04:07 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,602 Posts

This comes down to personal preference, how much you want to spend, and how much storage that you may have on your bike for extra panels/lining when removed from the base jacket.

I'm a "black" leather guy and I wanted a jacket not too flashy with too may snaps, logos, etc. (You can always add stuff to a jacket but it's hard to take I away and still have the jacket looking good.

I looked at the H-D jackets (as I've owned my current one) for many years but I couldn't find one that I really wanted to buy.

The wife and I stopped in at a little leather shop not too far from our home and I found what I'd call maybe a "three" season jacket as it is not as heavy as some jackets but it has a zip in/out liner, with two zippered vents in the front and also in the rear.
It's a XLT and it has enough room that I can wear my heated jacket liner (for colder weather) if needed.
For summer riding (warm to hot), I have a H-D "mesh" jacket, and with a long sleeve shirt under it, this would work until it got cool enough for me to switch to my leather jacket.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjenson123
Looking for a summer/3 season/4 season jacket for extended road trip. Want a hi-viz model. Like HD quality but their color coordinator has a palette with one color - black. Any other suggestions?
What are you trying to accomplish? Style? Protection from the sun? Abrasion resistance?

Old 05-11-2017, 05:41 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

The HD FXRG switchback (textile) is by far the best real 4 season jacket I've ever tried. You're right the color is subdued and the built in reflectors aren't enough for me either - I solved that by adding a reflective hi-vis vest I throw on when I want the extra visibility.

I've tried other "4 season" jackets from Tourmaster and another brand I can't remember off the top of my head. They beat Harley for visibility but that was the only category they were better.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Fuzzyweis
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Tourmaster Draft Air that stays pretty cool, got a good balance of black but with red parts and reflective piping, also all the armor pockets and padding, and can take a zip out liner.

Amazon Amazon

Mine's the older style that more resembles Captain Picard's uniform from Star Trek Next Gen than the current style, making it that much cooler.

The following users liked this post:
Tjenson123 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

I've never understood why HD or other manufacturers of textile jackets don't make more with lighter colors. I wear leather most of the time, but when it's 90+ degrees here and I want a lighter textile jacket, I definitely do not want black - sort of defeats the purpose of mitigating the heat.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:04 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
The HD FXRG switchback (textile) is by far the best real 4 season jacket I've ever tried. You're right the color is subdued and the built in reflectors aren't enough for me either - I solved that by adding a reflective hi-vis vest I throw on when I want the extra visibility.

I've tried other "4 season" jackets from Tourmaster and another brand I can't remember off the top of my head. They beat Harley for visibility but that was the only category they were better.
I agree. I have the FXRG Switchback (leather). While it is expensive, in the 40 years that I've been riding m/c's, it is THE best all around jacket I've ever owned.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:35 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Just bought a Scorpion Yosemite textile jacket and love it. It's well vented, has a waterproof liner, a thermal liner, both removable and good armor in the shoulders, elbows and back. Revzilla among others sells them. Also try Olympia jackets

The following users liked this post:
Tjenson123 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 02:22 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

My Firstgear Kathmandu is my most versatile jacket. Waterproof to boot. Plus it's a light color. When moving it's good to about 90*.

Quick Reply: Summer jacket