General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone PLEASE help

Old 05-22-2017, 04:25 PM
raymint
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the crank sleeve start to work louse and ate my oil pump I found a way to press it back and machined a spacer to keep it in, just to give you a heads up to check those when your in there

Old 05-22-2017, 04:48 PM
Snickers#1948
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark the gear (white-out dot) before you pull so you will know its position. It will probably spon or turn as pulled, so you need a kmow its position to determine if it is out of position with the keyway!

Old 05-23-2017, 02:19 AM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snickers#1948
Had the same problem with a 1990 EVO also. After two days (8 hrs a day) messing with it I took a break for the weekend. Then started from step one. All gears aligned, front piston on TDC using timing mark, then could NOT get timing to align and spitting fuel from carb!

Did everything three times with same result.
Finally took off the crankshaft gear and the keyway was sheared and gear turned about 20 degrees. This made all the marks incorrect for everything. Went to HD and got new keyway which was correct p/n but was thinner than slot in gear and shaft. Went to large NAPA store and asked for the box of assorted keyways and found the correct width. Was taller than needed, so vicegrips and a flat file shaved it to correct height for gear install.

Realign gears, turn to TDC, set cup and timing light flickered in middle of timing plate adjustment holes! SUCCESS !

(You will need to hold crankshaft while removing nut! IT IS LEFT HAND THREAD, so turn RIGHT to remove. Put in gear and have someone hold rear brake to remove.)

as as it turns out that is the problem, you guys are all a great help. I have the pinion gear off, how do I go about removing the spacer behind it in between oil pump drive gear and the pinion gear to get to the key ??

Old 05-23-2017, 02:40 AM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rigidbuild

as as it turns out that is the problem, you guys are all a great help. I have the pinion gear off, how do I go about removing the spacer behind it in between oil pump drive gear and the pinion gear to get to the key ??

nevermind, I got it out!! Now to stop at a bike shop and hope they have a new one on hand. Sucks I sent the ignition back, now I have to wait for the new one to show in the mail also.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:15 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,713 Likes on 3,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Rigidbuild
Bought the engine used so you never know what someone could have done before the sold it. Told me it was a running engine. Picked it up for $500. Sounded like a good deal considering this is what I started out with.
So much for selling you a "running" engine. Congrats on figuring it out. $500 was a steal. Make sure you drive by the sellers house to thank him for letting it go so cheap.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:21 AM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roussfam
So much for selling you a "running" engine. Congrats on figuring it out. $500 was a steal. Make sure you drive by the sellers house to thank him for letting it go so cheap.
like I said in one of my earlier posts, Sean's as though someone switched out the heads on it at some point. It has the case vent in the side of the heads. And it has the adjustable push rods. Also wish I knew what cam was in it. I ran the numbers that are on the cam gear last night and all it comes back as is a Andrews cam gear.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roussfam
like I said in one of my earlier posts, Sean's as though someone switched out the heads on it at some point. It has the case vent in the side of the heads. And it has the adjustable push rods. Also wish I knew what cam was in it. I ran the numbers that are on the cam gear last night and all it comes back as is a Andrews cam gear.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm so glad you found it. I thought you defying the laws of physics for a while. Good job of sticking with it and good job with the forum to help find the problem. It seems so simple now. I pulled a really nice lawn mower out of a trash pile one day. All that was wrong was the key sheared on the fly wheel. Basically the same problem.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Be sure to post a video for the first start!!

Old 05-23-2017, 02:52 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Dang! Good thread!

Whereabouts in Illinois?

Good luck, man. Hell for $500, I'd have bought it too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Someone PLEASE help