General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My King & Coke photo

Old 05-18-2017, 07:35 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Thought there were going to be rails on the fender.

Nice picture!
My first thought too!!

Awesome pic! I envy your ability and patience.

The following users liked this post:
MikeBel (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Focker RN
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Badass!

MikeBel (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 07:42 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by Sw1
Great photo I love the effect. One question, and I am no photographer, but were you able to get the entire Coca Cola sign in the frame?
Thanks, and good question. The bike is my main subject and the sign is just my background. I really wanted the tail of the Coke's "C" to lead to and frame the back of the bike, as you see in the shot. I could have gotten the entire sign but then the bike becomes much smaller and less dominant. As part of the shoot, I took those shots but they just didn't look better than this one.

Now if I was a Coca-Cola fanatic the approach would have been the complete opposite. The sign would be the main subject and the bike would basically be a prop. In that case the entire sign would be appropriate.

I really want to shoot this again but next time adding my wife as a model and then shoot at a different angle to get the entire sign. But the big problem is access to this area as I mentioned before.

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Thought there were going to be rails on the fender. Nice picture!
LOL! Hmmm, that probably wouldn't have gone over too well with the officer who stopped by to check out what I was doing.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-29-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:54 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 636 Posts
Default My photo of my Road King will hang in an art gallery!

OK, please allow me to brag a little; it's not my style but I can't help it this time!

I belong to a photography guild sponsored by the Booth Western Museum in Cartersville, GA. "The Booth" is a Smithsonian Institution affiliate. The Booth also owns The Downtown Gallery, and 3 times a year our photography guild has juried photography exhibitions at the gallery. Well I found out the other day that my image was selected for the Fall Show! Last summer I worked on creating a photograph of my bike against a backdrop of an old Coke wall advertisement. The link below is to the thread where I posted how the photo came to be.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...oke-photo.html

I've had other images selected for past exhibitions, and while I'm very proud of those as well, I can't tell you how excited I am to have this one displayed. Being able to combine 2 things I love and turn it into a gallery piece is beyond words.

I've titled the image "Classics". I'm humbled and honored to have my photograph chosen. I hope you like it too.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:05 PM
gsreimers
Tourer
Received 159 Likes on 76 Posts

Very cool

MikeBel (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 06:12 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,652 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Congratulations and I guess it is some kind of photography trick getting that lean to the front?

MikeBel (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:14 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Grats, very nice to see your work being displayed for others to appreciate. Good Luck

MikeBel (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:17 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Nice pic, but should thrown a Stratocaster in there for a great representation of American Classics.

The following 2 users liked this post by dickey:
grumble (08-29-2017), MikeBel (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:27 PM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Nice pic, but should thrown a Stratocaster in there for a great representation of American Classics.
or a Martin D-35. Or a Les Paul. or... all good ideas

MikeBel (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
OK, please allow me to brag a little; it's not my style but I can't help it this time!

I belong to a photography guild sponsored by the Booth Western Museum in Cartersville, GA. "The Booth" is a Smithsonian Institution affiliate. The Booth also owns The Downtown Gallery, and 3 times a year our photography guild has juried photography exhibitions at the gallery. Well I found out the other day that my image was selected for the Fall Show! Last summer I worked on creating a photograph of my bike against a backdrop of an old Coke wall advertisement. The link below is to the thread where I posted how the photo came to be.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...oke-photo.html

I've had other images selected for past exhibitions, and while I'm very proud of those as well, I can't tell you how excited I am to have this one displayed. Being able to combine 2 things I love and turn it into a gallery piece is beyond words.

I've titled the image "Classics". I'm humbled and honored to have my photograph chosen. I hope you like it too.

Nice pic and understand your explanation on not seeing the whole sign. But my eyes see the sign as the dominant draw visually still and it not having all the wording takes away IMO. Somehow the magic of the bike and the sign working together has to happen there. Keep working at it that's what its all about.

MikeBel (08-29-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My King & Coke photo