General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent non-harley dealer experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:34 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,550 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneyFatBoy
A 2001 Road King with a now very underpowered engine ( next to the 103 and M8 ) and 34k miles on it then add $0 for the accessories and I say that was a somewhat reasonable offer on a trade
Back when I was a Sales Manager at a Harley Dealership a zillion years ago, we always enjoyed the clean older trades because we always doubled our money. If you want $5,000 for it, you'll have to sell it yourself.

As for useable power, my 95" with mild cams runs right alongside a 103" in top gear roll-ons. (I like that 5 speed.)

Watch what they sell your bike for....

Old 05-18-2017, 06:43 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

3K is a rip off for you. It just tells you they aren't going to sell your bike retail. They're going to wholesale it. You'll do better on CL for sure. This is just business these days. I'd say, take your time and sell it on CL and get what you can. Be patient and get the best deal you can. The dealers will get more flexible in a few months or so. And you can make a better deal once you have sold your bike. My experience around here is there are a ton of bikes for sale.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:27 PM
rgjujitsu
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was shocked at what the dealer near me offered on my 09 bones. I do see less people riding and more bikes on Craigslist though and for whatever reason I look for bides on there every damn day

Old 05-18-2017, 11:34 PM
Beatz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rgjujitsu
I was shocked at what the dealer near me offered on my 09 bones. I do see less people riding and more bikes on Craigslist though and for whatever reason I look for bides on there every damn day
Glad I'm not the only one, I troll the local Craigslist nightly like clockwork. Never seen this many bikes available, nor the prices this low. Even now, with the season just getting started. Here in MN, come around November, or just before Christmas, it's astonishing what you can buy One of those garage queens for. But never in late Spring.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:43 AM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,921 Likes on 1,123 Posts

John,
if interested, I'll give you $3250 for your bike, sight unseen.

I'll hbe honest with you. I'll put it on craigslist up here with some good pictures and sell it for $5500 in a weekend or sit on it for a while and list it at $7000.. but it'll sell

find a used shop that will take it on consignment and list it for 5500, you'll walk with 5000 and the dealer 500.

the bike market may suck right now, but there is a strong market for clean big twins for under $6000. People aren't spending $20000 on used bikes as quickly as they were, but the weekend rider that only occasionally gets out is less worried about a bike sitting in his garage that's cheap

Old 05-19-2017, 07:41 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

The price quoted on the Ultra is pretty much at the top end of retail. Given the mileage and condition, it may be worth that. On the other hand, $3K is very low for the Road King. I've never seen a RK in any condition sold for $3K. Much less one represented as in good condition, and with low miles for the age. Their offer tells you that this shop is not eager to make a deal for your bike.

I'm with tehan2, around here that bike would sell very quickly for $5K+

Post a picture of your King. I'll up the bid to $3500 even before seeing it.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I am also from western Pa. I live in Ross and work in Bridgeville. You could go to steel City HD and get raped too? Lots of overpriced stock there....

lol

Some used are more expensive than a new one.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 658 Posts

Ya, at this point im probably just going to keep the king, ride it when i can ( the 103 needed some help to be comparable) and see about a discounted leftover next year and keep the king. Its a hoot to ride, id just like a fairin, tunes, and a tour pak. Its just not worth getting rid of i guess.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:18 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 658 Posts

Thats it by the way so you guys know what they offered 3k for

Old 05-19-2017, 02:10 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,096 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
Ya, at this point im probably just going to keep the king, ride it when i can ( the 103 needed some help to be comparable) and see about a discounted leftover next year and keep the king. Its a hoot to ride, id just like a fairin, tunes, and a tour pak. Its just not worth getting rid of i guess.
Smart man...it always fun to have a little variety when riding as long as you can afford it financially.

BTW, the bike looks great...

Quick Reply: Recent non-harley dealer experience