General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you wear ear plugs while riding with loud pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I've never used them....Been riding and playing rock and roll guitar since the late 60's and my hearing is fine.
No it's not. You may think it is, but I guarantee you've experienced permanent hearing loss.

But YOLO right...

The following users liked this post:
HDMIKETN64 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

I couple youngen's (20s) stopped by to see my wife and I last month. Friends of our (late) son. The one rode up on his GSXR, the other was on a borrowed cruiser bike. The cruiser has straight pipes, ridiculously loud. The kid has a tee shirt, a bandana, some gloves that stop at the knuckles. That's it. No gear, no helmet, no ear plugs.

My wife and I were cringing. She asked him about ear plugs. "I don't need them, it doesn't bother me." Ironically, he works in healthcare.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 AM
jimihd
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have Tinitus, (marksmanship instructor in USMC), I ALWAYS wear ear plugs. Like many others, mainly for wind rather than loud pipes. Also wear when using lawn mower and power tools.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Never ride without my ear plugs. At Bike Week, I rented a Street Glide. I'm not about the music when I ride. Regardless, even with my ear plugs in, I could hear the radio just fine.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:53 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

I wear ear plugs on long rides and trips.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:45 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Always! I don't have tinnitus and feel that the earplugs have been the reason. The wind will do more damage to your ears than the pipes.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:52 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Sometimes... on longer rides, typically I do.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:43 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I couple youngen's (20s) stopped by to see my wife and I last month. Friends of our (late) son. The one rode up on his GSXR, the other was on a borrowed cruiser bike. The cruiser has straight pipes, ridiculously loud. The kid has a tee shirt, a bandana, some gloves that stop at the knuckles. That's it. No gear, no helmet, no ear plugs.

My wife and I were cringing. She asked him about ear plugs. "I don't need them, it doesn't bother me." Ironically, he works in healthcare.
That seems to be the typical response. Youngins think they're invincible and can't see the future past the end of their noses. But one day they will end up like some of the older folks in this thread, wishing they had taken better care of their bodies and not worried so much about looking like a tough guy.

I was one of those kids who saw the toll taken on my father, grandfather, and their friends from not protecting their hearing. So ever since I can remember I've always worn some sort of hearing protection when I was around loud noises. And even avoided certain things in order to eliminate the hazard all together. I learned from their mistakes. I've been in the Marines now for almost 20 years and my hearing is just as good as the day I joined, according the my annual audiology exams. Every year they're blown away that I haven't suffered any notable hearing loss. My motivation is my dad and my Marine peers who walk around with little plastic roaches on the backs of their ears in order to hear what I can hear with no assistance.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:57 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
For the wind noise, not the pipes. I use the ear plugs from Walmart, not the disposable ones. One pair will last me almost a year if you wash them in warm soapy water once in a while.
What type do you mean if I may ask?

Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,225 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Probably Surefire. They are awesome and only cost $15

Quick Reply: Do you wear ear plugs while riding with loud pipes?