General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident at ATM

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,139 Likes on 11,100 Posts

Originally Posted by CrBear
89, driving why???
Old people drive because its the last form of independence they have.
Take away the car keys and they die from depression soon after.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:02 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 1,656 Posts

I know that from my parents and in-laws that have passed, nobodyh wants to give it up. I know I won't. But there comes a point.. I know 85 year olds that drive fine... mostly. But agree more testing needs to occur later in life.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Sucky deal, but you're not hurt and the bike can be repaired. Next year this will be a funny story to tell the grandkids.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Huh? What are the other reasons?
Bike getting hit and knocked over in a parking lot, vandalism and parts theft, city traffic BS. Back in the 70s and early 80s, I rode my bikes everywhere, including commuting to work. After too many close calls, I quit doing that too.
Now I only use my motorcycles for recreational riding.
When I was a millwright apprentice, I was trained to avoid "crush points"; that has carried over into my motorcycling.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:26 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
Bike getting hit and knocked over in a parking lot, vandalism and parts theft, city traffic BS. Back in the 70s and early 80s, I rode my bikes everywhere, including commuting to work. After too many close calls, I quit doing that too.
Now I only use my motorcycles for recreational riding.
When I was a millwright apprentice, I was trained to avoid "crush points"; that has carried over into my motorcycling.

to each their own but I thank goodness that not everybody shares that attitude. when everyone treats their motorcycles as recreational vehicles someday we'll all be relegated to use only on recreational trails

Old 05-19-2017, 08:03 PM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Pedal misapplication is common with old drivers. The 89 yr old needs to have his driving skills reexamined.
Most families have to deal with the question: When should Mom and Dad stop driving? As long as there's no incidents or accidents it's tuff to take away their keys. But when an 89 year old driver finally hits someone, even if it's a "minor" accident, that to me is the reason his family is looking for.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,745 Likes on 6,893 Posts

WOW what a crazy story!

Bingo, who would have thought it was crack for old people! LOL

Glad you are okay and glad the bike is no worse. I hope they treat you well.

Just courious, did either of these old folks show concern for your well being?

Old 05-19-2017, 10:19 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
to each their own but I thank goodness that not everybody shares that attitude. when everyone treats their motorcycles as recreational vehicles someday we'll all be relegated to use only on recreational trails
We have an Off Road Vehicle trail system here in Michigan but it's mostly used by dirt bikes and ATVs. I've never seen any Harleys on them.
I've been riding motorcycles on the street since the 1960s, seen most of the USA on my bikes, and have survived some bad crashes - and you're getting on my case because I don't ride my bike(s) to the bank and the hardware store any more? I'd include riding to Work in that but I'm retired. I quit commuting to work because I got tired of hearing brakes lock-up behind me when freeway traffic slowed down. A riding acquaintance of mine is in a wheelchair for life because he got caught in that crap.
I live right on the edge of town - city one way, country the other. I don't ride into the city any more unless I have to. I don't go into bars looking for fights anymore either.

Last edited by RK4ME; 05-20-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Old people drive because its the last form of independence they have.
Take away the car keys and they die from depression soon after.
Yup. My Dad is going to be 87 and I've noticed his driving has slipped a little, so I started a conversation with him about when it will be time for him to give up the keys. Wow did that conversation take a turn for the worse in a hurry. He accused me of wanting to put him in a retirement home and that he would kill himself first. Had to drop the subject pronto. Fortunately he doesn't drive much now anyway.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:43 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Yes, driving for seniors is a huge deal. It impacts their lives in many ways.

Going to the grocery store/post office/doctor visit/errand/friend visit anytime isn't an option anymore. They must become reliant on others for their well being. This, is a source of anger & sadness.
Remember, these are the people that we relied upon during our growing up years, and now the tables are turned on them.

Just consider not having any form of transportation for a month. A week is easy, you load up the house with provisions and survive a week. Try it for 2 years and see how it works. This IS their life. Sad, but true.
In fact, try this~ Ask a elderly neighbor if you can take them to the store or somewhere. Watch their eyes when you do this. Go ahead, I dare any of you to.

Quick Reply: Accident at ATM