General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California freeway lane change crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 03:00 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

That why i installed these for the front of my bike....i touch the foot o hand brake and they come on......it sure gets their attention....

Click on the link.....a few seconds to download....

Attached Files
Old 05-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,682 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
That why i installed these for the front of my bike....i touch the foot o hand brake and they come on......it sure gets their attention....

Click on the link.....a few seconds to download....
Source? Where did you get the system?

Old 05-22-2017, 03:09 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

One thing is for sure if you watch the video from the start, notice how fast the bike is whizzing by all the traffic to the right. Where they going the speed limit? If so and he was exceeding the speed limit that much, not sure if some of the blame belongs to the bike. He did directly run into the rear and if you watch closely, does not even appear to try to slow down. If I had been driving in that traffic, I would have been watching for lane changers for sure. I personally would never have been going that much faster than other traffic even in my cage. That hurts no matter who is wrong.

The following users liked this post:
HenryT (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 03:09 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Can't say I've seen much better of an outcome from a MC accident that bad, on the freeway no less. Could have ended up over the top and run over or on the ground and run over by someone behind him. Hope he gets his underwear clean.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,739 Likes on 6,190 Posts

Yup. That's one of our IL idiots.
Told ya.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:26 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

WOW...That dude is crazy lucky...he could have been sent over into the opposing lane traffic...I NEVER go that fast by a lane full of cars, I dont care about double yellow lines or not....slow...caution...

Old 05-22-2017, 03:31 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
Doesn't make it right but if bike wasn't going so much faster than trafffic might not have happened. Need to be vigilant at all times.
Excellent point. PLUS, it was obvious the driver was on drugs. Took him way to long to turn his head back and forth. His eyes were in out of space.

Would sure like to know if he was arrested for DUI.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:39 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,060 Likes on 11,070 Posts

I noticed clueless backward ball cap dude has an iPhone sitting in his lap. No surprise there.
Speed limit is 65 on a freeway, I think there is a short glimpse of the speedometer, can anyone read it? I think its a Dyna Fat Bob.
Some of the comments about speed differential between the #1 carpool lane and the #2 everyone else lane is typical and customary for California freeways. That's why carpool lanes exist, so drivers with passengers (and motorcycles) get there faster than solo drivers. All solo occupant drivers with California driving experience have sat stopped in the #2 while traffic flies past a few feet away in the #1 lane. The double yellow is there for a reason, do not cross it.
But yes, expect the unexpected and have a plan when it happens.

Last edited by upflying; 05-22-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:39 PM
Norky
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Looked to me like the rider was going along with traffic and the non-carpool lanes started backing up, causing the dindu to lane jump illegally because he didn't want to slow down.

Car was definitely at fault. Even if it wasn't a solid line, the car would have been at fault for improper lane change.

Fault or not, the rider did seem to not be paying attention to potential hazards. You can't just drive down the highway and think, Oh, those cars that are slowing down can't come into my lane, I'm good.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:48 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Some of the comments about speed differential between the #1 carpool lane and the #2 everyone else lane is typical and customary for California freeways. That's why carpool lanes exist, so drivers with passengers (and motorcycles) get there faster than solo drivers. All drivers with California driving experience have sat stopped in the #2 while traffic flies past a few feet away in the #1 lane. The double yellow is there for a reason, do not cross it.
So. What if you are in the #2 everyone else lane, with 2 people in the car and want to get into the #1 carpool lane - which you are allowed in as you have 2 people in the car?

But - not wanting to be an ***, the guy pulled out incredibly dangerously without looking. Probably because he had his cellphone on his lap and was looking at that.

The guy on the bike was incredibly lucky though.

Quick Reply: California freeway lane change crash