General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rental insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:03 AM
studiopeg
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Rental insurance?

Not sure what part of the forum to put this in, so I will try here.

I've rental a Tri Glide for a week in July. My own insurance does not cover motorcycle rentals, and the Harley dealership that is renting to me does not answer my inquiries about if they offer rental insurance, so I guess they don't.

What options would I have to obtain some insurance for the Tri Glide that week??

Thanks if anyone knows!

Old 05-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Are you sure about the dealership not offering insurance? I'd be really surprised if they didn't, that kind of insurance is usually very profitable for the seller.
I can't imagine they'd let you out of the parking lot with a rental bike unless you can prove you have insurance, buy it thru them, or leave a huge security deposit.

Double check with the dealer- put the question right in their face and see what they tell you. I'd also check with your insurance agent to see what options they have.

Some major credit cards will provide insurance if you charge a car rental to the card- not sure if that applies to motorcycles, but it's usually secondary coverage- they'd make you use your primary insurance first.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:39 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,422 Likes on 5,534 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Are you sure about the dealership not offering insurance? I'd be really surprised if they didn't, that kind of insurance is usually very profitable for the seller.
I can't imagine they'd let you out of the parking lot with a rental bike unless you can prove you have insurance, buy it thru them, or leave a huge security deposit.
I just rented a bike and checked with my insurance company that provides insurance for my bike.

Same coverage for rentals $500 deductible in my case, the same as my bike which is valued far less, didn't matter.
I believe that it covered rental of a second vehicle if there was a breakdown, etc..
Barring your own coverage I find it hard to believe that a dealership wouldn't have (Pricey) coverage available.

Enjoy and have fun.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:47 AM
studiopeg
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

I finally insisted on speaking with the rentals department and not leaving a voicemail. They apologized profusely for not getting back to me and they do provide insurance. Phew!

Now I can take my dad on his bucket list ride!

Old 05-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,658 Likes on 3,223 Posts

For only about $20/yr I added a rider to my motorcycle insurance that covers me for rentals. Maybe your ins. co. offers that as well?