General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before and after 1.5" lowering blocks '05 Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:49 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Before and after 1.5" lowering blocks '05 Ultra Classic

I just installed lowering blocks on my 2005 Ultra. They claim to lower 1.5". This is a temporary solution until I can afford different shocks. I will update and let the forum know if I rub.
It has achieved the look I wanted. It's perfect!

I pumped the shocks up to 25psi. I weigh about 200lbs.

Please comment if you have experience with this project, and not please, spare me the "unsafe if you lower" stuff. I've heard it, and I disagree. I've slammed the rear of every bike I've owned and I ride enough to know if it's gonna adversely effect the handling. Never had before.
My only concern now is that this bike has wires in the rear fender.

Before

After

Old 05-31-2017, 09:29 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,772 Likes on 6,206 Posts

I did the same on my Electra-Glide with a White Brothers kit over 20 years ago. I'm tall enough to not need it, but I like how it rides. Well over 100,000 miles, no issues.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:01 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser

So far so good. I feel like the bike handles BETTER with the rear lowered. Maybe the lower center of gravity?? I'm not sure, but I like it.

Had to take the blocks off and reinstall the tour PAK for a big weekend poker run and ride to benifit Riley's Children's Hospital. We all got to ride a lap around Indianapolis Motor Speedway at the end, which was AWESOME! I really opened it up. One of the coolest things I've done.
As soon as I got home, the PAK came back off and the lowering blocks went back on. Took a small test ride two up and no noticeable problems. I had her listening and feeling for it rubbing, but nothing was noticed.
Not sure if rubbing fender with tire from lowering blocks would be a subtle problem that would take awhile to notice, or if it would be one of those, "you'll know it when it happens" type things.
As of now, I'm giving it a hesitant thumbs up.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:31 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I run solid bilit Pingle one inch lowering blocks.pretty much since new. IMHO, 1.5 is too much. I think if your blocks are adjustable to a one inch setting, that's where I would stop. Not only do I think 1.5 is too steep an angle, both in terms of shock angle and saddlebag clearance. But in terms of tire to fender clearance. My '13 has relocated wiring under the fender. If my tire bumps the fender, no foul.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,667 Likes on 6,679 Posts

Its always a good idea to modify your bike to reduce the lean angle.....

The following 3 users liked this post by Tommy C:
LoneWoolf (06-06-2017), Pappy35 (05-17-2023), toomuchstuff (05-17-2023)
Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,224 Likes on 5,405 Posts

Originally Posted by CookUltraClassic
please, spare me the "unsafe if you lower" stuff. I've heard it, and I disagree. I've slammed the rear of every bike I've owned and I ride enough to know if it's gonna adversely effect the handling.

They don't adversely affect handling until the swingarm cracks...which is pretty common with lowering blocks.

Name:  rear20swingarm2.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  47.0 KB

Old 06-06-2017, 02:42 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser

I agree that 1.5" is too much. I don't intend to use these blocks as a long term solution. My goal is an adjustable height, air ride suspension. Preferably, the Legacy Air Shocks.
I'm not worried about dragging anything leaning the bike in a turn. It hasn't lowered it enough to even come close to dragging tailpipes. Highway pegs will scrape if I'm really pushing it, but that will happen without the blocks.

If anyone has any experience with air adjustable height shock kits, especially DIY kits, Inwould love to hear about it. It seems to me that the Legacy system is the best I've seen, but it has a hefty price tag. It doesn't seem that hard to put a system together yourself and save a lot of cash.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:47 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
They don't adversely affect handling until the swingarm cracks...which is pretty common with lowering blocks.

OUCH!

That sucks. Yeah. I would think so. What did you have installed on what kind of bike??

I really appreciate that feedback.

I've not considered the forces put into the back part of the swingarm, there....
wow.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:01 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by CookUltraClassic
OUCH!

That sucks. Yeah. I would think so. What did you have installed on what kind of bike??

I really appreciate that feedback.

I've not considered the forces put into the back part of the swingarm, there....
wow.
Lol, that was an issue on a Few 99-01 models, and Harley redesigned the swingarm after that.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:47 PM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Lol, that was an issue on a Few 99-01 models, and Harley redesigned the swingarm after that.
Good to know.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Quick Reply: Before and after 1.5" lowering blocks '05 Ultra Classic