General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the Butty Buddy folks ever answer their phone? Respond to emails? And other questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:10 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,152 Likes on 720 Posts
Default Do the Butty Buddy folks ever answer their phone? Respond to emails? And other questions...

So... Saw a reply here on hdforums where the Butty Buddy was mentioned. Almost couldn't get past the name (hard to take serious). But I investigated and came away thinking the thing might just be a good solution for the Mrs. So I ordered one. Not thinking... I have a solo seat and bare fender... So I ordered the one for a bare fender (with suction cups). When I got it, put it together, and placed it on the bike, I see this...

Doh!... Rats.

Should have thought about it a little before I pulled the trigger.

So I've tried to contact Butty Buddy for suggestions. Which brings me to the question in the thread title. Do these folks ever answer their phone or respond to emails? I've called several times and kept getting the answering machine. Left messages. No reply. Sent emails. No response. Has anybody ever talked to these folks?

Since I can't get suggestions from them, maybe someone can offer some here. I can think of a few options that might make the BB work on my setup.

1) Send this version back and get the regular version with the position stops and no slip bottom. Also, get the pillion from Lepera and go the regular installation route.

One problem I might see with that is that the pillion doesn't make a level surface from front to back. It also has the disadvantage that it raises the passenger up a bit in relation to the back rest on the sissy bar.

2) Send this version back and get the regular version with the positioning stops and no slip bottom. Order the suction cup conversion as well in this case. Use the suction cups at the rear of the BB and the positioning stops at the front (catching the back of the bare bones seat with the positioning stops). The no slip bottom would also catch the back/top of the bare bones seat, thereby still providing some resistance to movement. Advantages here... a) wouldn't have to buy the pillion from Lepera and b) pillion + BB wouldn't raise the passenger too high.

3) Give up and tell her to walk.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:49 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

Option one. Looks better and she may be able to see over the top of your helmet being raised up a bit.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:04 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,340 Likes on 3,276 Posts

Dude get a real 2 up seat and just swap it when you need to. You can pick one up used for probably what you'll pay fir a butt buddy

The following users liked this post:
jakenok (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 07:16 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,237 Likes on 8,377 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
So... Saw a reply here on hdforums where the Butty Buddy was mentioned. Almost couldn't get past the name (hard to take serious). But I investigated and came away thinking the thing might just be a good solution for the Mrs. So I ordered one. Not thinking... I have a solo seat and bare fender... So I ordered the one for a bare fender (with suction cups). When I got it, put it together, and placed it on the bike, I see this...

Doh!... Rats.

Should have thought about it a little before I pulled the trigger.

So I've tried to contact Butty Buddy for suggestions. Which brings me to the question in the thread title. Do these folks ever answer their phone or respond to emails? I've called several times and kept getting the answering machine. Left messages. No reply. Sent emails. No response. Has anybody ever talked to these folks?

Since I can't get suggestions from them, maybe someone can offer some here. I can think of a few options that might make the BB work on my setup.

1) Send this version back and get the regular version with the position stops and no slip bottom. Also, get the pillion from Lepera and go the regular installation route.

One problem I might see with that is that the pillion doesn't make a level surface from front to back. It also has the disadvantage that it raises the passenger up a bit in relation to the back rest on the sissy bar.

2) Send this version back and get the regular version with the positioning stops and no slip bottom. Order the suction cup conversion as well in this case. Use the suction cups at the rear of the BB and the positioning stops at the front (catching the back of the bare bones seat with the positioning stops). The no slip bottom would also catch the back/top of the bare bones seat, thereby still providing some resistance to movement. Advantages here... a) wouldn't have to buy the pillion from Lepera and b) pillion + BB wouldn't raise the passenger too high.

3) Give up and tell her to walk.
Option 3........

jakenok (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 07:29 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Dude get a real 2 up seat and just swap it when you need to. You can pick one up used for probably what you'll pay fir a butt buddy
I already have a 2 up seat. She doesn't like the seat (too narrow for comfort). I don't like it because it has left some marks on the fender. Want something that I can take off easy and that won't mar the fender.

Last edited by T^2; 06-07-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Phideux
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 73 Posts

Just looking at the picture, why don't you move it back more where the suction cup ain't on the seat?? Looks to me like there is plenty of room to go back with it.

junior07 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

never trust a company that makes a product call Butty Buddy.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
I already have a 2 up seat. She doesn't like the seat (too narrow for comfort). I don't like it because it has left some marks on the fender. Want something that I can take off easy and that won't mar the fender.
Just forewarning - those suction cups will leave marks on the fender. Perhaps sell your existing two-up seat and replace is with something a bit wider and more cushy. As mentioned earlier, something used won't be too expensive.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:04 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

I had the stock seat on my fatboy and the back pad was too narrow for comfort with my ole lady. I bought a different pillion seat to put on the back (my fatboy has a split front/rear seat) and she was so happy.

If your two up seat is uncomfortable, get a different one for her.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:55 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Phideux
Just looking at the picture, why don't you move it back more where the suction cup ain't on the seat?? Looks to me like there is plenty of room to go back with it.
It sits too far back that way (interferes with the sissy bar) and because of the curvature on the fender, it leans too far back.

Quick Reply: Do the Butty Buddy folks ever answer their phone? Respond to emails? And other questions...