General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoulda Done This Long Ago

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts
Default Shoulda Done This Long Ago

I wear prescription glasses. Bifocals for everyday use. My sunglasses are about 10 years old now and definitely need at least new lenses because my vision is no longer clear, down the road OR close-up.

I also wear a full face helmet, an Arai Vector. Mostly for safety, and because I can't wear "sport shades" to protect my eyes while riding.

After pricing new shades, and the resulting "sticker shock" (Like most people, my insurance ain't what it used to be), I decided to try out a tinted visor.

The light smoke didn't do much, the dark smoke I felt would be too dark at night, so I spent the extra for the silver mirror. Still, at $75, it is way WAY less money than new prescription lenses

Big difference! It doesn't darken the view so much and it really seems to help with overall definition in bright light. The mirror tint is also supposed to keep the interior cooler. We'll see. It'll be 98° when I get off work today. I'll take the long way home to see how it feels.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:14 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Be curious if the temps are cooler

Old 06-16-2017, 07:21 PM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Keep us posted on wearing your prescriptions with the new visor,

Old 06-16-2017, 07:48 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Recently got a pair of Wiley X prescription riding glasses. Only cost about $60 with my insurance. Love 'em!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:34 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm sporting prescription sunglasses (long distance focused) from costco while wearing my FF Nolan. Best $100 I ever spent when it comes seeing clearly in daylight. I even wear them when it's cloudy.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:13 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by LiiT
Recently got a pair of Wiley X prescription riding glasses. Only cost about $60 with my insurance. Love 'em!
I'll have to look into Wiley. I looked one of the discount eyeglass companies, and with my prescription, well over $200 on $60 frames

I only had a five mile trip home in the het of the afternoon, so I can't really tell if the mirror effect keeps the interior cooler. But my body was hotter that head. It was near 100°. What I like the most is the glare reduction, and Im not all squinty eyed because of the harsh brightness.

It'll be interesting to see how stuff looks at night. It's a rare occasion,but I do ride at night from time to time.

So far, I like the mirror visor a lot.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:23 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I have muliple bubble shields I swap in and out. A smoked tint one, a chrome mirror one, a yellow one for night(makes riding at night WAY better, a clear for the passenger. Sometimes I'll go out during the day and end up meeting friends at a bar as it gets dark, get stuck wearing a tinted one at night( not as bad as I thought) or not wearing one and freezing.

I forget the name of it but there's a piece for the inside of most visors that in essence makes it a double pane. Gets rid of fogging.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:37 PM
rbert0005
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep an eye on Sears Optical.

I got Ray Ban wrap arounds with the bi lens for $160 on sale.

Bob

The following users liked this post:
Mike Lawless (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 11:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley

I forget the name of it but there's a piece for the inside of most visors that in essence makes it a double pane. Gets rid of fogging.

pinlock. works great.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:04 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Check out rx-safety.com. i got a pair of prescription Wiley-X glasses with anti scratch and anti fog coat, and transitions lenses for $240 with no insurance involved. Think the transitions were about $40 add on, so regular prescription suns should be right around 200.

Been using them almost every day at work, and all the time when I ride, and holding up well 1 year in.

Quick Reply: Shoulda Done This Long Ago