General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback on these open face helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:39 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

FlyLow

What's your customer profile? Harley cruiser riders or European cafe racer riders?

Old 06-17-2017, 10:42 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,065 Likes on 11,074 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyLow
UPFlying, that is what I wear also UpFlying, it's a pain to put on, I sometimes unsnap the padding as I place it on my head, and have to take it back off to fix that. Sound wise it has no wind noises at all.And yes very cool
Could be the wrong size, I kinda spread it apart while pulling it on so it doesn't rip my ears off. Once on its every comfortable.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:49 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

I used to wear one all the time. Anyone have issues with foreign objects or insects getting into the ear area? Had a bad experience once.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:01 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,384 Likes on 515 Posts

I have been using the Daytona Cruiser for a couple years and like it a lot. Its a little smaller than the Bell and fits my head better.
https://www.daytonahelmets.com/d.o.t...-shell-helmets

Old 06-17-2017, 11:07 AM
FlyLow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lonewolf, both... running 2 harleys (the 750 for off-road and my Streetglide. at the moment, But own, and ride 20 year plus several triumphs, BSA's and one BMW... The helmets are a line I want to carry.
Yea I pull with the straps to get it over my big head upflying,
I took a honey bee in the mouth before too Deadman, a owl in the shoulder once also.

Heading back to the UK on a parts gathering mission in Sept. Just want to get all my business and directions I am going prior to the trip over
Don

Last edited by FlyLow; 06-17-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:15 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

I wear a Scorpion 3/4 most of the time. It fits my long oval head great. I currently ride a TriGlide

But, I'm contemplating adding a RoadKing to my garage. And I'm wondering if the extra safety of a full face helmet is worth the closed in feeling.

Does anyone have any experience with wearing a 3/4 and had an unfortunate situation, and thinks a full would have helped in damage control?

Old 06-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I have a Bell 500, older style with 3 snaps for visor or faceshield. I like the helmet, but it's what I'd call pretty noisy, and some shields will blow off if I turn my head much. The newer models have 5 snaps, and 5 snap shields hang on pretty good. It's as comfortable as any 3/4 helmet I've tried on.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:10 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 771 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Does anyone have any experience with wearing a 3/4 and had an unfortunate situation, and thinks a full would have helped in damage control?
I used to wear a Bell half helmet, then switched to a Bell 500 3/4 helmet.

They're both basically worthless as far as protection goes, since it's your face and chin that often take the brunt in an accident. The Bell 500 is extremely basic, very thin, loud, and doesn't fit all that great compared to more expensive options.

I've been hit in the face by a rock, an insect the size of a frog, and a piece of rubber from a truck tire. I've also come close to being smashed against a concrete wall and run over by a dually.

I didn't want to do it, but I tried a full-face when I bought my BMW. It felt very weird during that first ride and I almost decided I would never do it again. But I decided to give it one more try, and about halfway through the ride I suddenly decided I loved it. No one was more surprised about that than me. That was a cheap Bell full-face, and I soon upgraded to a top quality Shoei and have never looked back.

I doubt I'll ever ride a motorcycle again without a full-face. With a top quality helmet, you actually hear better than without it, are vastly better protected, and once you get used to it you feel more in control as you're not being distracted by unwanted noise, insects, rocks, etc. My bike is loud as hell, so wearing a full-face helmet in no way detracts from the visceral experience of riding the bike.

If you have to look cool, then get one of the Simpson helmets. A lot of Harley riders wear those and they look decent enough. Besides, no one looks cool when they're missing their lower jaw.

Last edited by DM426; 06-17-2017 at 05:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Medamullet (07-09-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:59 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

I have been wearing this helmet for a couple years now
very comfortable, smaller and lighter than most 3/4

https://www.daytonahelmets.com/d.o.t...nge-pin-stripe

Old 06-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

I suggest a FF helmet, but to each their own. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
sparkalot (06-17-2017)

Quick Reply: Feedback on these open face helmets