General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big wheel stretched bagger question.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:03 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Big wheel stretched bagger question.

For those that have them and have ridden them have you ever taken one up Pikes Peak?

A friend is going on an upcoming trip with me and his bike is a 26" bigwheel with stretched bags sitting on air ride system. We are a little concerned he's going to drag bags if we ride up pikes peak.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,187 Likes on 655 Posts

One way to find out. Ugh. Form should follow function imo

Old 06-19-2017, 01:24 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts

I saw a guy in town this weekend on a big stretched out street glide.. Had the big bags and fenders that sweep down.. He took a turn at a red light and dragged the bag all the way thru the turn. I got behind him and could clearly see that it was wearing his bags down and quite frankly it looked like ****.. it looked like a nice bike when it was first done but it was pretty weathered.. He was a big boy with a bigger lady on the back, Not sure if that helped any..

Old 06-19-2017, 01:28 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'd think someone with that kind of bike ^^^ would have air shocks to raise it up riding through town. But, I guess not everyone thinks like me.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I'd think someone with that kind of bike ^^^ would have air shocks to raise it up riding through town. But, I guess not everyone thinks like me.
I wonder if those big wheel bagger guys think at all, much less like you!

Old 06-19-2017, 01:58 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython
For those that have them and have ridden them have you ever taken one up Pikes Peak?

A friend is going on an upcoming trip with me and his bike is a 26" bigwheel with stretched bags sitting on air ride system. We are a little concerned he's going to drag bags if we ride up pikes peak.
Rode with a couple guys in our group last year at Street Vibes with Road Glides. One with 30" front wheel the other with a 26" front and both had stretched bags. We rode through the mountains into Virginia City and around Lake Tahoe. There are some very windy floorboard scraping type roads and neither of them had any problems. Also both had air rides that would put the bike flat on the ground or up to at least stock height. Those bikes had no problem keeping up with our group and actually spent the majority of the time towards the front. Not my cup of tea but they do get a lot of attention and these guys rode those things hard as anyone would ride a stock bike.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython

Does your friend want a cycle to just look at or actually ride it?
Sounds like he built a cycle just for looks and now is worried about its drivability.

Uh, yeah it will drag the bags. He won't get nearly the clearance he used to have. And the handling will suffer too.
Can anyone explain to me why anyone would build a cycle just for looks and then complain that they practically can't ride it.
"Oh yeah but it's so cool to have a cycle too low to ride."
Show us a picture. It's probably not as low as these. I really do not understand this stupidity.

Cycles are meant to be ridden. Cars are meant to be driven. If you want to modify them great but don't make them undriveable. Some people think it's more important to be unique or follow fads.

Morons. These f-n morons think that modifying their vehicles beyond what is practical is cool.
Sorry if I have offended anyone but this sh*t bugs the hell out of me.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-21-2017 at 02:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Durango Dave:
02603SEC (06-19-2017), hd4evr2008 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:23 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,662 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
Does your friend want a cycle to just look at or actually ride it?
Sounds like he built a cycle just for looks and now is worried about its drivability.

Uh, yeah it will drag the bags. He won't get nearly the clearance he used to have. And the handling will suffer too.
Can anyone explain to me why anyone would build a cycle just for looks and then complain that they practically can't ride it.
"Oh yeah but it's so cool to have a cycle too low to ride."
Show us a picture. It's probably not as low as these. I really do not understand this stupidity.

Cycles are meant to be ridden. Cars are meant to be driven. If you want to modify them great but don't make them undriveable. Some people think it's more important to be unique or follow fads.

Morons. These f-n morons think that modifying their vehicles beyond what is practical is cool.
Good thing people who do these mods aren't spending your money...or forcing you to ride them.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-21-2017 at 02:57 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by BTLorys:
bettingpython (06-19-2017), Ceez (06-20-2017), CVO SG (06-19-2017), DanHappy (06-20-2017), KnarleyHarley (06-20-2017), RoaringRigid (01-31-2019), sledhead_2002 (06-20-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:35 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Have no doubt about it, he will ride that bike all over the place. He's a rider that just happens to like that style. He also did all the work on it, he turned the wrenches and built the bike himself. Paint is being done by someone else but that's been it.

The following users liked this post:
RoaringRigid (01-31-2019)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:49 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,042 Likes on 11,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave

The yellow C6 Corvette is photoshopped. Actual Donk photo is this Buick Regal.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-21-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big wheel stretched bagger question.