General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PA Inspection now only 6 months ?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:26 PM
jerryinpa
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
I guess it wouldn't pay for me to live in Pa. as I would not allow a mechanic to "test" my bike just for an inspection. Here they actually inspect the bike with no need to be a rider. The only person I allow to ride my bike is the master mechanic at the HD dealership after any service has been performed.
How would said mechanic (inspection) know if bike operates safely,brakes properly and such.
I want my bike to work and perform properly,but there is plenty of people who would ride an ill performing bike in a heartbeat.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:47 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryinpa
How would said mechanic (inspection) know if bike operates safely,brakes properly and such.
I want my bike to work and perform properly,but there is plenty of people who would ride an ill performing bike in a heartbeat.
What I can tell you is that neither in N.Y. or here in Va. does any mechanic take my car or bike out for a ride as part of the inspection. What they do is inspect the working parts lights. brakes. etc. to determine the working condition of the vehicle. No rides are necessary. Laws are different in each state I suppose but in those 2 states it is the same.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:58 PM
Evoken
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I have never had an inspection station dude want to take my bike for a ride. Nor would i let him. Yes the law in pa is goofy, but it is what it is. I agree that it needs to happen, I'm close to the Ohio border with no inspections and some of the crap people drive amazes me! But, I think it's getting a little out of hand with prices/ tax collections.

Yes they pull the wheels off the truck, check brakes, exhaust, blah, blah. But 50 some bucks? 28$ for the bike, most if that goes to the state.The guy just walks around it, checks lights, horn, tires, brakes; all good you get a sticker. Takes about 10 minutes. I think I would probably slab an inspection monkey if he sat in my saddle, let alone tried to ride it!

The following 2 users liked this post by Evoken:
LXT (06-21-2017), Mr.Softy (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 01:01 PM
jerryinpa
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i am biased,i hold an Pa inspection license.I can look at your parts but does not mean they all work right. stuck caliper,bad u joint, road test can tell you alot.
i am referring to cars,but bike is similar.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:08 PM
DaveE
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 879 Posts

I have no problem with my mechanic roadtesting my bike or my cars. He owns a softail himself!

Old 06-21-2017, 01:10 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
I guess it wouldn't pay for me to live in Pa. as I would not allow a mechanic to "test" my bike just for an inspection. Here they actually inspect the bike with no need to be a rider. The only person I allow to ride my bike is the master mechanic at the HD dealership after any service has been performed.
I also live in Pennsylvania. I've never had my bike test ridden for an inspection. The way they choose is extremely odd. My sportster was taken in when I bought it last March. Bought in Maryland so needed an inspection. It was good until august this year. So a year and five months I got

Old 06-21-2017, 02:15 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I would rather go every two years at a time of my choosing than have roadside inspections at their time of choice.

I lived out there late 80s early 90s and dealt with that a time or two.
You are misinformed.

No smog inspections on motorcycles, roadside or otherwise. Roadside inspections for cars are data gathering tools only, to measure the effectiveness on the program. The roadside program is voluntary so if there is one you can just say no thanks. If you choose to participate, there are no citations or correction tickets given. You're told about it and sent on your way.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Road...n_Program.html

Old 06-21-2017, 02:21 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
California did away with inspections almost 40 years ago.
Are you sure? I didn't think California ever had them.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:25 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveE
I'm not understanding my sticker at all. Looks like he forgot to put the year portion on? I just got it done a few weeks ago.

They don't put the sticker on the plate there? Man that sucks.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:36 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm oh so ****ing glad I don't live in these nightmare states. Besides, inspection would mean I'd have to have all sorts of stuff on my chopper I chucked away years ago like horn, speedo, turn signals etc. No thanks....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PA Inspection now only 6 months ?