General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider which motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Crider
Hey guys, I'm about to get my license and purchase a bike. ....Will the breakout be too much for a beginner?
...... so, you're just getting your license, eh ?
.... your motorcycle endorsement? .. or are you 16 & just getting your 1st license ?
... my 1st motorcycle was a 900 lb Road Glide w/a Tour Pak .. it's worked out real well ..... but i was 51 yrs old.
....... if you're 16 & just figuring out what driving is all about, do NOT get a full size Harley
........ find something cheap, that you can drop a few times w/o incurring hundreds of dollars in rash & dented chrome, because you will drop your 1st motorcycle (no need to ask me how i know)
.... be safe ..... and enjoy your new pastime

Old 06-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Russ103
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys, I'm about to get my license and purchase a bike. Ive been looking at a couple of bikes and I really like the breakout. Ive been told to go with something smaller but everyone also says after a few months you will want to go bigger so I figured just go big from the beginning. Will the breakout be too much for a beginner?
Do you have any experience riding? A whole lot of people ride without an M endorsement (not a good idea) so I don't automatically assume that getting your licence means you haven't ridden before.

Also, what's your budget like? If you don't mind learning on something that costs more then many other choices out there without being financially affected, I don't see why not.

How is your confidence level? If you're nervous, the Breakout is not for you. Any bike with a very wide (240mm) rear tire takes more (read different feel) effort to turn, especially at slow speeds. Yes, I know it's cool and sexy looking but don't let that be your deciding factor.

I learned on crotch rockets many years ago, the Breakout is my first Harley FYI.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:09 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

Hey guys, I'm about to get my license and purchase a bike. Ive been looking at a couple of bikes and I really like the breakout. Ive been told to go with something smaller but everyone also says after a few months you will want to go bigger so I figured just go big from the beginning. Will the breakout be too much for a beginner?
The issue I see with starting on a breakout is that there is a good chance you're going to develop poor cornering techniques. That fat rear tire does effect your handling and you will have to fight it in sharp, low speed turns. The low ground clearance doesn't help, either.

As a new rider, there is a darn good chance that you're going to drop this bike. How upset would you be if you dropped the breakout and guffed it up vs a bike that was 1/4 of the price?

Being objective, check out Victory if you want a big twin to start on. Due to them being recently discontinued, you can pick up a used Vic for a song. This will get you used to the weight and power while being significantly cheaper while you learn. Plus you can still say you're on an American made bike if that's your thing. In a year or two, sell it for whatever you can, then buy the breakout or whatever bike is currently blowing your skirt up.

Disclaimer: I've had two Victory's, still have a '13 Highball that I refuse to part with.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:43 AM
on3wego
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you should get what you want right out of the gate. The first motorcycle I ever rode was the little street 500 during the MSF course. The 2nd bike I ever rode was the wide glide I bought two weeks later.

No sense in spending money on something you don't ultimately want.

Just be careful. It's a slippery slope.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:07 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 538 Likes on 395 Posts

Something to consider in these "what bike should my first one be?" threads is that the people that 'bought what they wanted' or bought a big scooter because 'it is foolish to buy something small because you will want something bigger in a few weeks and will have wasted money' and found they made a mistake, because their experience didn't work out, aren't here to share their thoughts. This might be because some 'bit off more then they could chew' and had an accident or perhaps had a few 'close calls' and decided riding a motorcycle wasn't for them. Either way they have no reason to visit motorcycle forums and offer their views.

Over the last half century I have seen many new riders. Most didn't last long, some not long at all. And it is almost always decent, if not actually good, riding weather here in the desert. There is a HUGE difference between actually riding a motorcycle, especially in some areas, then viewing it from the sideline or while taking a 'class'.

Unlike learning to drive a cage, a relatively minor incident while learning to ride a motorcycle can easily have a life altering/ending result.

Last edited by rjg883c; 06-22-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Ceez
Cruiser
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Screw it just buy a Busa

The following users liked this post:
NCBANDIT (06-25-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:14 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,043 Likes on 11,063 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
...... so, you're just getting your license, eh ?
.... your motorcycle endorsement? .. or are you 16 & just getting your 1st license ?
... my 1st motorcycle was a 900 lb Road Glide w/a Tour Pak .. it's worked out real well ..... but i was 51 yrs old.
....... if you're 16 & just figuring out what driving is all about, do NOT get a full size Harley
........ find something cheap, that you can drop a few times w/o incurring hundreds of dollars in rash & dented chrome, because you will drop your 1st motorcycle (no need to ask me how i know)
.... be safe ..... and enjoy your new pastime
I wonder how much it costs to insure a 16 yr old riding a Breakout?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:24 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 538 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
I wonder how much it costs to insure a 16 yr old riding a Breakout?
According to his profile, if any of this is real, he is 23.

On a side note, in an earlier post you wrote that your 'starter' bike was a Yamaha 100. 3 years after my accident while desert racing, my bike used to begin street riding again was also
a Yamaha 100. A nice little ride.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:46 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

make sure you take and pass the msf courses.

then go to a hd dealer and buy what you want. some people will say not to buy a hd as a first bike.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:00 PM
TroutBum
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts

Many HD dealers rent bikes. I would suggest you look into that and test ride bikes on longer runs. The demo rides are fine, but doesn't give you that much of an opportunity to get to know the bike. With a rental you can choose the duration to test ride and get a better feel of how the bikes fits.

Quick Reply: New rider which motorcycle