General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PA Title Questions, issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:29 PM
SMCT1
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PA Title Questions, issue?

Apparently all PA titles have a section on the back whereas the buyer and seller have to sign their names and to the left of that is a spot for it to be notarized. In the past I do recall going to a notary with the seller. That notary required to see the buyer and the sellers license and asked us to sign in front of her.

My question is this, what if you are making a purchase of a vehicle such as a motorcycle in this case, and you are doing this transaction from a distance far away enough where you can't be present during the sale? Please explain in as much detail as possible. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

I can see the seller having to get notarized, but why the buyer? And, I would imagine you could go to 2 different notarys,no? A notary is a n otary, right?

But why ask us? Call the Penn DMV for the correct answer.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:29 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Google is your friend....

In a private vehicle sale, both the buyer and seller are responsible for completing a DMV title transfer through the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT).

The seller AND buyer must go to a PennDOT agent together to complete the auto title transfer.

NOTE: Out-of-state car title transfers have different requirements than PA auto title transfers. See “Out-of-State Car Title Transfers" below for details.

Selling a Vehicle

To transfer a Pennsylvania car title, you will need to go to a PennDOT office with the buyer. Take a form of ID, such as your PA driver's license, with you in case the agent needs proof.

On the back of the title, you must:
  • Record the vehicle's mileage.
  • Print and sign your name in front of the DMV agent.
After transferring ownership, you have to take your license plates off the vehicle. You can transfer or surrender your license plates.

DO NOT give your license plates to the buyer.

Finally, you may want to get a written acknowledgement from the buyer as proof that you completed the title transfer and delivered the vehicle. See the PennDOT factsheet for buyers and sellers for an example.

Buying a Vehicle

To have a Pennsylvania car title transferred into your name, you and the seller must go together to a PennDOT agent.

You will also register the vehicle when you transfer the title. See our Car Registration page for registration fees and other requirements.

NOTE: The vehicle must have valid safety and emissions inspection stickers OR you must have the car inspected within 10 days of the sale date.

To complete the vehicle title transfer, you will fill out the back of the title in front of the PennDOT agent with:
  • Your name, address, and signature.
    • ALL owners to be listed on the new title must be present to sign the current title at the PennDOT office.
  • Lienholder information if you're financing the vehicle.
In addition to the car title, you will also need:
  • The Vehicle Sales and Use Tax Return/Application for Registration (Form MV-4ST).
  • A tracing of the vehicle identification number (VIN) attached to your application IF:
    • You bought the vehicle from a non-resident.
      OR
    • The vehicle is a truck, motorhome, or truck-tractor.
  • Your PA driver's license or ID card.
  • Proof of car insurance, such as:
    • An insurance card.
    • Your insurance policy declaration page or a copy of it.
    • A copy of a valid insurance binder.
    • A copy of your application to the Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan.
  • Payment for title fees and taxes:
    • Title transfer fee: $51.
    • Lien recording fee and title issued: $75.
    • Sales tax: 6% of the sale price or market value.
    • Tax for Allegheny County residents is 7%.
    • Tax for City of Philadelphia residents is 8%.
    • Registration fees.

Source

Old 06-21-2017, 11:53 PM
SMCT1
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From my understanding, the buyer and seller needs to be present in front of the notary during the sale. Witnessing the transaction. In my case the husband and wife are named on the title. Now that would make 3 of us having to be present. Not really looking to drive 3 hours to get this handled.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:59 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Like Dickey said, call Penn BMV. Maybe you can get a power of attorney. I never realised PA was so strict about a title transfer. Ohio is a breeze compared to PA. Hell, WV doesn't even require a notary. I hope you can find a work around, but hey, there's some beautiful roads over there. Just make a day of it and see the sights. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2017, 03:24 AM
Evoken
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I bought a stock trailer a few years ago whereas the guy I bought it from did not get it transferred to him. He had the title signed and motorized by the previous owner. I took the notarized title to my notary, signed in front of him. Got plate and title. Easy, have seller sign and get notarized, send you title, you get your signature notarized, done.

This is and was in pa with pa title. Same scenario when I bought my backhoe, title was already signed and notarized, went to my guy and bam, done. Can't imagine it being different for car or bike, these two items still have regular pa motor vehicle titles.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:52 AM
DaveE
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 879 Posts

My bike came from Tennessee. He signed the title and mailed it to me. I took it to a notary and she processed the paperwork with no issues. I had a bill of sale of course.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:42 AM
jerryinpa
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SMCT1
Apparently all PA titles have a section on the back whereas the buyer and seller have to sign their names and to the left of that is a spot for it to be notarized. In the past I do recall going to a notary with the seller. That notary required to see the buyer and the sellers license and asked us to sign in front of her.

My question is this, what if you are making a purchase of a vehicle such as a motorcycle in this case, and you are doing this transaction from a distance far away enough where you can't be present during the sale? Please explain in as much detail as possible. Thanks.
are you buying or selling?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:18 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Simple:

You and the seller go to the notary together, no exceptions. When the title work is complete, you'll pay the sales tax and transfer fees to the notary. It's salty, but less so if you're transferring a plate from another bike. I believe the cost doubled in 2016.

If the bike isn't special enough to warrant a 3 hour drive and the logistics of getting it back home, then it's not the "one" and you should keep on looking.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:17 AM
jerryinpa
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^^^^^ this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not true
THe seller can go to a notery his/her choice,present title,and drivers license,sign title in presence of notery,they will noterize that,the seller signed.Then seller and buyer can meet exchange monies and seller can go to a tags service with noterized title and finish transfer.
Should also have an mv-3( i think that is the number)form filled out and noterized also with "selling"price just to not leave the sale price up to the state.

Quick Reply: PA Title Questions, issue?