General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first out of town test ride... FEEDBACK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Wowser
Taking a car would alleviate most of your problems. Sometimes riding isn't comfortable, get used to it.
really??? ******* much?

The following 2 users liked this post by Panchorelly:
Chilidog11 (06-22-2017), LoneWoolf (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Magnum50
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, I was thinking the same thing... but let it go.

Big bad biker don't like noobs, lol.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:31 PM
tgmotoman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

full face, even though it is hot, is cooler with it cracked open without getting that jet engine heat blast on your face. A free flowing ADV full face helmet will protect and keep you cooler than any half helmet of 3/4 face.

A nice free flowing jacket, mesh or textile will most definitely feel much better than a tshirt with no sleeve, that sun can be killer.

You might look into getting on of those neck cooling chamois towels, soak it and it will not drip, wrap around the neck and it will cool you down.

Otherwise it just takes seat time. Have fun out there and watch out for the clueless.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:48 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Yes, hold off the "infotainment" system until you have your controls down to second nature. You don't need your concentration split from the operation of your motorcycle, a this point.
Since you have 3 years experience, I would recommend a "BRC2" training class. If you have 5000 miles minimum, then go straight to an ARC.
Are you planning on taking a passenger? There are classes for them too!
Have fun with it, and ride safe!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:56 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,247 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Although not as safe as a full helmet, most 3/4 helmets have flip down full face shields. Keeps the bugs and stuff out of your face.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:18 PM
sacdaddio
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I was going to recommend the 3/4 helmet with face shield as well. Mine has clear shield along with another shaded mini visor that can be dropped down as well. Don't know brand, but got it from a store called Cycle Gear. Last year I rode Sacramento, CA to San Antonio, TX. Short sleeves and lots of sunscreen. I also have a couple of long sleeve, self-wicking shirts (Fruit of the Loom) from target that help with cooling.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:25 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseDyna
Nice bike. You need cockpit time, plain and simple. Keep doing it.

A Tesla is an ipad with wheels and now Harley and others are trying to emulate that with their "infotainment". I think you need to hit the off button for at least 2-3 thousand miles. Focus on safety, technique and getting the right gear.

How many miles experience do you have?
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Yes, hold off the "infotainment" system until you have your controls down to second nature. You don't need your concentration split from the operation of your motorcycle, a this point.
Since you have 3 years experience, I would recommend a "BRC2" training class. If you have 5000 miles minimum, then go straight to an ARC.
Are you planning on taking a passenger? There are classes for them too!
Have fun with it, and ride safe!
Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Although not as safe as a full helmet, most 3/4 helmets have flip down full face shields. Keeps the bugs and stuff out of your face.
Just wanted to save myself some typing. One thing that I'd ask myself is, what's more important, learning how to ride properly or listening to my tunes. Sometimes all that infotainment stuff can be a distraction for newer riders. I recommend that you work on your skills first, than the fun and games later. By the way, I hate full face helmets because they make me feel all closed in and I can't breathe. Try a 3/4 will a pull down shield on it, works for me. Now go ride the bike and get some more practice in.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:45 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

Ride, Ride, and Ride some more. Eventually you'll find out what works with gear and everything else. Crack your face shield some to get the fog out when needed and ride on. Make sure any vents are open on the helmet too.
Lightweight mesh jackets are not that hot and allow a lot of breeze through, they keep you cooler than wearing a t shirt with the sun beating down on your arms believe it or not. I've got one and wear it on longer trips, makes a difference.
I've got both full and half helmets. I wear the half more these days, but when I take the windshield off it's full all the way. Nothing more distracting than taking a june bug or piece of pea gravel directly to the forehead or in the mouth. Finding the right full face is the key.

And, as others have said, I'd lay off the infotainment until you really learn the bike and get some miles under the belt.
And even then, I'd lay off but that's just me.
Nice bike, have fun.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:48 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 423 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Panchorelly
really??? ******* much?
Yeah, it's not a secret.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:38 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

I wear a half helmet, long sleeves and do not listen to the radio.

the only time I use the gps is if I get lost

I stay on back roads and do not ride at night (deer)

Quick Reply: My first out of town test ride... FEEDBACK?