General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first out of town test ride... FEEDBACK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:58 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ronaldrwl
It all gets better with time. I bought a good Shoei helmet and no longer have a problem with fog. The helmet should have venting to help with heat. But I guess a black helmet doesn't help.

I got a silver shoei and I can actually feel the breeze through the helmet when all the vents are open - helps keep it cool(er) even in the serious FL heat, but nothing will solve the problem except air conditioning. And no fogging when it's chilly, either.

The following users liked this post:
Magnum50 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 03:03 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LiL CeeZ
Wearing a long sleeve shirt is actually cooler then a short sleeve imo. Long sleeve retains your sweat and the wind keeps you cooler. When I wear short sleeves (right now it's between 105-110 here) I feel much hotter then when I wear my long sleeves.
Here's an oldie but a goodie: a technical article on heat, body-temperature regulation, and what actually works.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

tl;dr - over 94*F, wear a leather jacket with a long sleeve t under it, and keep the T wet. Air above 94*F blowing across bare skin adds to core temperature, so it cannot cool you off. Also, hydration is key.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:45 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

I've been teaching a friend to ride and she's been having problems finding where everything is. I told her to sit on her bike in the garage, pretend she's riding and go through all the controls over and over until she's knows exactly where they are without looking.
I taught flying for yrs, that is how my first lesson went with the new student. There is going to be a time when you need to do something but cannot take your eyes off the windscreen. Good point for all riders.

JekyllnHyde (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 08:02 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by JHL-ShinySideUp
Here's an oldie but a goodie: a technical article on heat, body-temperature regulation, and what actually works.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

tl;dr - over 94*F, wear a leather jacket with a long sleeve t under it, and keep the T wet. Air above 94*F blowing across bare skin adds to core temperature, so it cannot cool you off. Also, hydration is key.

Thanks, this should be a sticky. I knew in that range was a magic dividing line. This confirms it.

I like the chammy concept too. I use a bandana but I could see how animal skin could retain moisture for longer.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnum50
Went on my first out of town ride... had some learning moments and issues, maybe you more experienced riders can give some feedback...

It's all on my riding blog:

http://ridemagnumride.blogspot.com/

but will copy/paste here to make it easier... w/o pics thou:

1) I hate full face helmets, I know their safe and better for you but my face sweat so much my sunglasses fogged up, and once I had to pull over to wipe sweat from my eyes, but then when I got home I noticed all the bugs on the shield that would of been in my face, so I'm undecided on a half or full in the future..

2) I should always wear a long sleeve shirt at minimum, should invest in a nice motorcycle jacket but that would of been hot as hell, I was already hot with just a T-shirt on with a leather vest over it. 5 of the 6 hours of riding was cloudy, but I had 1 hour of Florida sunshine and got my arms burnt.

3) If you do a lot of highway driving, even with a pretty good sound system, really couldn't hear the music or voice commands from my GPS. I had the settings with all sound coming out of the speakers, may have to change that to in helmet speakers in the future.

4) Even thou my Harley has a nice hands free system, and/or all the controls on grips, it was still a little confusing to use stuff while riding, but that may just be inexperience, definitely need to learn to use the voice command system.

5) and finally, thou it was a good ride, but not very scenic, a lot of my time was spent on concentrating on what I was doing, what lane I was in, what part of the lane, road hazards, other drivers, what is that guy going to do, does he see me etc etc it was actually very tiring to ride, but again that's probably due to lack of experience and should get better in time, and more scenic openings.

Thanks for any tips, comments, feedback... next test will be to Key West end of July.
1) I have never worn anything but a 1/2 helmet (DOT). I don't think I would ride much if a full face was mandatory. A good pair of goggles are critical though, especially since I don't use a windshield. Yes, I occasionally take the large bug to the forehead but it's worth it for me to be fully in the wind.

2) I also wear just a tee shirt but slap on the sunblock every couple hours.

3) I use earphone/plugs with my cellphone for GPS and music. I can have them on simultaneously and the voice command will interrupt the music when a turn comes up.

4) No experience with a bagger.

5) This is why I avoid highways at all cost. I will gladly turn a 6 hour drive into 8 by taking nothing but back roads.

You will find what works for you over time. Everyone is different. Some want total wind protection with all the gadgets, then others like me would gladly eat bugs instead of having the freedom aspect diminished by having all this crap in my way.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:07 PM
nvbirdman
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a full face helmet with the clear shield, and a flip down dark sun shield (whatever they're called). Riding in daylight the clear is up and the dark is down. I don't have to wear sunglasses, and my head never gets hot.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:57 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,747 Likes on 6,894 Posts

Motorcycling is multi-tasking. The beautiful thing is you mind is easily trained.

When I traded up from a 2010 to a 2016 Rushmore the controls on the handle bars were different and there were more of them. One long ride by myself with no destination or time schedule and I had it. I would have to re-teach myself to go back to a non-Rushmore.

There are riders/drivers and there are passengers. The passenger types don't usually make good motorcyclists.

Get out by yourself and ride. It becomes second nature. The more time in the saddle you have the better it gets and the easier it is to process things in a way that they don't distract from your enjoyment.

Lots of good advice already on staying cool.

As for screnery sometimes as the rider/driver you will miss some because it is more important to focus on the bike and road. That is why I really enjoy roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway were I can cruise all day at a slow 45mph pace and enjoy it.

Best of luck and ride safe.

Magnum50 (06-23-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Magnum50
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHL-ShinySideUp

I got a silver shoei and I can actually feel the breeze through the helmet when all the vents are open - helps keep it cool(er) even in the serious FL heat, but nothing will solve the problem except air conditioning. And no fogging when it's chilly, either.
Thanks, took your advise... got it a couple of days ago, wearing it locally it did what you said and performed well, but still today I just returned it... full face I don't think is for me unfortunately... a good helmet solved my issues but I've learned that I'm actually closterphopic (sp)... never knew that, I've always known that I prefer to take the stairs over an elevator, but would take a elevator without issue... but with that full face helmet on, I got stressed and when I thought I couldn't get it off, chin strap stuck, I went into a panic... ya, I know... I'm a *****, lol... oh well... 3/4 for me I guess... thanks for the help anyway.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:04 PM
ozzy49938
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Second the use of a good sunblock if you want to wear short sleeves. No need for the face if you are wearing a full helmet. I reapply whenever I stop for gas takes 2 minutes.

I also wear a lot of micro fiber long sleeve shirts when I'm riding they are also called performance shirts. Lots of fishing companies sell them. Light wind goes right through them and no sun.