General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N filter issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:06 PM
azgrumbles
Road Captain

Received 281 Likes on 140 Posts
Default K&N filter issue

I have a 2015 RGS with a stage 1 SE air cleaner kit. I added a K&N filter and after a couple weeks I noticed motor oil dripping from the filter and spraying all over my bike while riding. I keep the oil 1/2 a quart low so that's not the issue. I removed the filter and noticed the bottom of the filter rubber that seals to the air cleaner plate had turned as hard as plastic, therefore not sealing and letting blow-by slip through. I called K&N and they were very helpful. They sent me a new filter and I checked the rubber. Nice and soft all the way around. After a couple weeks I started getting the oil dripping out again. I removed the filter and guess what? The bottom rubber turned hard again. I put the SE filter back on and everything is fine, except I can feel the difference in throttle response between the two. The K&N obviously breathes better, but it's not worth the issues.

Anyone else notice this problem?

Old 06-22-2017, 02:15 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

K&N took care of a problem with one of their filters I had. But the dealer had blown chunks out of it with an air hose. The new one, pretty much like the SE filter if you hold it up to the light actually looks like there is little there.
Mine has been on there a few years but I truly never have pushed my nail into it to see how hard the rubber is...
Hard to believe you can tell the difference in the two going down the road. Mine varies with just the way the wind blows from day to day. Do a back to back timed run and see if you can truly tell the difference. If it's that open, it sure can't be filtering very well.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:27 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by azgrumbles
Anyone else notice this problem?
No.
Your the one in a million that's having a problem,, Your doing something wrong.
When you use the K&N filter oil "spray can",, it's just a mist,, not saturation.
Or there's something else your doing,(?),
K&N doesn't function for everyone else and just you and your bike has/having a "special" problem.(especially with two filters in a row)
If you wanna work it out, we'll help, but ya gotta come clean about all the things you are doing.

And/or, if you don't like K&N,, Don't use them.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:31 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

It sounds like your bike is puking oil out of the breather tube. Motor oil on your air filter is a symptom of the problem.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:58 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Half a quart low may still be too much oil. Where is the oil on the dip stick, anymore than half way up the stick when its warm will cause some excess engine oil blow by. Mine is slightly above halfway up the stick when the engine is warm at 3 and 1/4 quarts with change. My oil filter is a PLO, like K and N so it is a little smaller than the throw away oil filter.

If your oil is above half way up the stick i would remove some oil.

The K and N air filter just needs a light misting of oil.

I pull my air cleaner every month and notice just a very small mist of oil on the air intake, i wipe it down and replace the K and N, no issues to date.