General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confederate Edition Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 07:36 AM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Took longer for Hitler to be brought up than I thought it would. And that's all I'm gonna say about the dumbass arguing on the internet about a topic that is supposed to be about a motorcycle.

I hadn't heard of these bikes before this thread. I now know that if I came across one I would buy it and maintain it, just for how different it is.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:38 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I've also just heard about the Confederate Edition and I've had my nose against the glass of many H-D dealerships for decades!

I bought my first H-D (a '75 Sporty XLH) in October, '74 from Motor City H-D in the heart of Detroit (we called it "Downtown Harley" back then).

I doubt that many (if any) of the CE's were displayed in northern stores so that's probably why so few of us even knew they even exist.

I do remember seeing one "Liberty Edition" FXE in that showroom.

Being that H-D made the CE's in '77, I can't help but wonder why they didn't also offer a "Yankee Edition", or did they consider the previous year's Liberty Edition recognition of the north?

Old 07-10-2017, 06:10 PM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 47 Posts

That of course is all true - except:

Most of these monuments were erected following reconstruction as a mechanism to assert dominance over the minority populations. The celebration of the civil war heritage starting in the 1890's and the resurgence again in the 1960's were all rooted in "white pride"

The civil war was was a war specifically about slavery and the support of the slave economy in the south. This glorification of the civil war was also done for very specific purposes.

History is important to understand and celebrate as long as you are honest and understand the story that is being told.

The Germans have outlawed **** symbols to be used in their country understanding that symbolism has power - I do not believe that is necessary to outlaw civil war symbolism, but I also don't think it is wise to continue to support state sponsored monuments to racism.

Originally Posted by DM426
For the record, "we" didn't lose anything. And "we" didn't win anything.

The Civil War is an important historical event worthy of study and examination. But it's also important to understand it's ancient history which happened 150 years ago and all the people who fought in it are long dead. It's something to be studied, not used to divide us.

The vast majority of modern Americans are a mix of descendants of both north and south as well as immigrants and other peoples who had no part in that war. In short, it's incredibly stupid to start identifying with the Civil War on a personal basis, or to conflate modern political or cultural controversies with those of the Civil War. No good comes of that for anyone.

The Germans had to "get over it," because they lost WWII. And rightly so. They had to change. But change doesn't mean forgetting. The Germans do an excellent job of maintaining WWII history and have a bunch of fine museums and war monuments. They remember the war and they deeply understand it's an important part of the history of their nation. But that doesn't mean they build statues of Hitler or Erwin Rommel in the town square!

WWII is part of the history of the country called Germany, but it has nothing to do with the people who are alive today other than as a historical event to be studied. In other words, it's not personal and it would be stupid for them to make it personal as the vast majority of Germans weren't even born until decades after the war was over. Just like it would be foolish for, say, some guy from modern day Tunis to get upset that Carthage was destroyed by Rome.

We're Americans, not northerners or southerners, or westerners, or whatever. The blood, sweat and tears of the struggles of our ancestors gave us that! Don't throw away what they worked so hard to give us and revert back to tribalism.

If you choose to ignore that and make the Civil War personal, openly display its symbols, and identify with it on a individual basis, then you pretty much forfeit the right to get upset when it gets personal. Because that's what you asked for.

I have tons of Civil War stuff, and I frequently visit the battlefields. But that's where the war belongs -- on my bookshelf and in a museum.

Last edited by bradleys; 07-10-2017 at 06:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bradleys:
DaveE (07-10-2017), DuciDay (11-29-2019), Eccool (08-28-2018)
Old 07-10-2017, 07:05 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleys

Most of these monuments were erected following reconstruction as a mechanism to assert dominance over the minority populations. The celebration of the civil war heritage starting in the 1890's and the resurgence again in the 1960's were all rooted in "white pride"

The civil war was was a war specifically about slavery and the support of the slave economy in the south. This glorification of the civil war was also done for very specific purposes.

History is important to understand and celebrate as long as you are honest and understand the story that is being told.

The Germans have outlawed **** symbols to be used in their country understanding that symbolism has power - I do not believe that is necessary to outlaw civil war symbolism, but I also don't think it is wise to continue to support state sponsored monuments to racism.

You may very well be the dumbest person on this planet; congratulations.
Noting more that a public school education, I'll bet.

Why not actually crack open an actual history book before you spew your bullshit; your post is nothing but leftist indoctrination tripe; and it won't stand under any real scrutiny

But, do continue to live in your leftist echo chamber of effete superiority...

And for God's sake, enough with the **** comparisons... f'n morons

The following 4 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
05UltraBob (06-24-2019), Foley Fats (07-10-2017), LoneRiderFLH (07-10-2017), tar_snake (12-31-2018)
Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

TCC that bradleys qualifies for the majority of public school victims in Dallas. White guilt is a requisite course for a diploma from DISD. He should be ashamed of his lack of education.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (12-31-2018)
Old 07-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Received 290 Likes on 174 Posts

Meanwhile, back to motorcycles, I think if there were a northern edition it would be called the "Union" Edition, which is a little more PC than the "Yankee" edition. And before anyone pipes up, I don't mind being called a Yankee since if that is what is meant by a northerner (born in Buffalo NY) living down south (in Florida) count me in and consider me proud...I hate the cold!

Leftee82 (04-16-2022)
Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 PM
bradleys
Tourer

Let's take the Confederate battle flag as an example. The battle flag was a minor symbol during and after the revelationary war.

The battle flag didn't become popular until 1948 when a group of southern states left the Democratic party and became the Dixiecrats. The Dixiecrats adopted the battle flag as a banner during the 1948 presidential election. I will let you guess the major platform of the Dixiecrats...

In the 1950s, as the Civil Rights Movement built up steam, you began to see more and more public displays of the Confederate battle flag, to the point where the state of Georgia in 1956 redesigned their state flag to include the Confederate battle flag. That's right - 1956!

History is a bitch!

The following 2 users liked this post by bradleys:
DuciDay (11-29-2019), Eccool (08-28-2018)
Old 07-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
You may very well be the dumbest person on this planet; congratulations.
Noting more that a public school education, I'll bet.
s
I would buy a confederate edition in a heart beat, swing about as far right as you can get but yet I only have a public school education. Probably not the reason he has different opinions than us.

Eccool (08-28-2018)
Old 07-10-2017, 09:02 PM
bradleys
Tourer

I have more than a public education, I was raised in the north but have lived in the south for the last 15 years. I have been a republican all my life.

Most of the people believe what they want to believe and don't take 10 minutes to ask questions that don't support their existing conclusions. That is the true dumbing down of America.

My understanding and knowledge of American history would spin you out of your seat....

I could give a **** less if the monuments stay or go - I am just telling you the history of their construction.

Last edited by bradleys; 07-10-2017 at 09:06 PM.
DuciDay (11-29-2019)
Old 07-10-2017, 10:15 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleys
The civil war was was a war specifically about slavery and the support of the slave economy in the south.
Sir, I respect every mans right to their own opinion. And mine certainly carries no more weight than yours. But this statement is SO FAR FROM THE TRUTH, that it's little more than absurd propaganda. Reconstructionist love to rewrite history. And as a Citizen of Richmond Virginia, I can promise you, I witness the absolute rewriting of history first hand. Because it's happening this very day...... right in front of us all.

tar_snake (12-31-2018)

Quick Reply: Confederate Edition Harley