General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First mishap: After Action Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 01:48 PM
RomeoTango
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default First mishap: After Action Review

Had my first on-road incident today, with the wife riding 2up. Was on a two-lane road at 55-60 mph. Vehicle in front of my was a pickup, and well ahead (5-7 seconds). Road is tight with trees and houses/neighborhoods. Truck put his brakes on for a second then let off, I slowed some. He seemingly kept going, but suddenly swerved right revealing a small car in the road waiting to turn left. The truck started off road as I approached, but then nearly stopped as he negotiated around the stopped car. I applied more rear than front brake realizing I was either going around the car to the right (behind the truck) or off into the grassy ditch beside the road. Rear brake locked up. I tried to let off and re-apply with a little front, but it still locked.

I ended up slowing enough (getting a little squirrely along the way) that I was able to drive the bike into the ditch and stop. Bike fell slow as I caught it and wife was able to more or less just step off as I let the bike down. No damage to us, and none to the bike that I can tell. I'll do a thorough inspection this evening.

AAR:
1. I realize that I can handle an emergency situation a little better than I expected. I remained calm as I tried to first stop, then get around/away from the vehicles in front. Very proud of my wife that she also remained calm and in place.
2. I need to improve my vigilance and situation awareness. This is a road near my home so I may have been a little lax in my SA. I also may have given the driver in front of me too much credit/leeway to keep moving at some nominal rate of speed as things became less than normal.
3. I need to improve my braking skills. I do practice before or after most of my rides (in the local elementary school parking lot). Though, realizing I was going to have to turn the bars I instinctively managed the front brake lightly. Not sure if this was exactly right. I did not attempt to down shift either - not sure I had any time for that. The shoulder of the road was not smooth with a few inch drop-off so I had concern it would throw us sideways if I tried to rid the edge. I actually went off at 45 degrees or more.

Questions:
1. With the rear brake locking up like it did, is my ABS not working? I did not feel any pulsing of the brakes, nor did I hear/feel the ABS kick-in like I have in a car. My ABS light does not come on to indicate malfunction.
2. After I picked the bike up and started to get going again, I could not find neutral. So I started with clutch in and drove up to the shoulder. I easily found neutral then. Seems ok now. Any concerns with that?
3. With this sort of mostly upright slide off the road and dump-in-the-grass, what should I be looking for as far as damage?

Old 07-08-2017, 02:02 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Doesn't sound like you hurt anything. In a slow/zero speed lay down like that, the worst that's going to happen is you scuff the bottom of your crash bars. No biggie. Since you went over on a soft surface, I'm sure it's fine.

The clutch/neutral stuff: I'd just chalk that up to post-incident nerves and not worry about it unless it starts happening consistently.

I don't know anything about HD ABS, but I didn't think it would allow you to lock the rear wheel like that. Certainly worth a trip to the shop.

Always watch the car in front of the car in front of you. Increase following distance if you are behind a large vehicle you can't readily see around.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0maha:
M Oclaf (01-08-2023), RomeoTango (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 02:11 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree you should have the ABS looked at. Look the bike over and ride it to check for any steering or suspension problems. It's probably fine just take it easy for a little while. Good write up. Thinking about what you did right and wrong got me to thinking about my abilities.

The following users liked this post:
RomeoTango (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 02:16 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

I would want that ABS checked out. Does not sound to me that is operating correctly. ..... Other than that, good job in a bad situation!

RomeoTango (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,662 Likes on 935 Posts

The front brake is where the majority of the stopping power comes from. You can squeeze that lever pretty aggressively at speed and stay in control. Then when it's time to turn, ease off the front depending on the maneuver. Didn't see your scenario, but that's what I imagine doing. Glad everybody is OK, bike included, and you can walk away from it wiser.

RomeoTango (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 03:37 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Increase following distance if you are behind a large vehicle you can't readily see around.
Yeah. That. Always hang back far enough that you CAN see around what's in front of you.

It always amazes me to see people driving right up to the back of a large truck. (Not commenting on you OP). They can't see anything apart from the **** end of the truck.

And with a bike, at least you have the acceleration to get around a truck on a clear but of road - even if you are hanging back. Plus you'll get past faster as you can actually see when the road ahead is clear to overtake.

RomeoTango (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 03:42 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,065 Likes on 11,074 Posts

How do you know the rear locked up? Was there smell, smoke and a solid black skidmark?
Is the ABS working now? (test in the school parking lot)
Proper front brake application would have saved the visit into the ditch.
Live and learn.

Campy Roadie (07-09-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

From time to time we all need to be reminded to keep our head out of our asses and pay attention to what we're doing.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:01 PM
RomeoTango
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
How do you know the rear locked up? Was there smell, smoke and a solid black skidmark?
Is the ABS working now? (test in the school parking lot)
Proper front brake application would have saved the visit into the ditch.
Live and learn.
Yep, skid mark. Sound of squealing tire. Feel that the bike was on ice.

Agreed on the front brake. My lack of experience. I'll test the brakes tomorrow, then drop off at the shop next week if necessary.

Thanks all for the positive responses!

Old 07-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

This may sound a little harsh but you really need to get on that front brake. Even and especially through corners (fyi braking hard in corners will stand up the bike so you'll have to work a little to keep it over). You are obviously a very prudent rider or you would never have survived this long being afraid to use the front brake (I mean 'USE'). No vehicle brakes effectively relying on the rear.

RomeoTango (07-08-2017)

Quick Reply: First mishap: After Action Review