General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitting animals on your bike...what have you experienced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:04 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Animals hitting my bike? I caught one trying to key it but I stomped my foot, yelled and scared it away just in time. On the other hand, I haven't hit/ran over one yet. Yet.

The following users liked this post:
FunGramps (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:05 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
I hit a dead and very bloated ground hog, I think it happened so fast I didn't have anytime to react. I hit that sucker square on doing 70mph. The front end wobbled a little bit and then smoothed out. I pulled off at the next exit and I had guts all over the front of the bike and the gremlin bell my girlfriend gave me was ripped of my right foot board. I guess it did its job.
I also got hit by a sparrow on the front fairing one time. That was quite a smack but very little damage.
Bloated ground hog? Man, the STINK!

Old 07-14-2017, 09:07 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

Hit a buzzard once and that was no fun at all. Fork tube and crash bar took the hit. A couple of seriously close calls with deer, buzzards and wild hog. Close enough I thought to myself this is gonna hurt.

FunGramps (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:19 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

I was on a Yamaha FZ6 (you know the way your toes point down on that type of bike). I hit a suicidal ground hog with my shifting foot. Watched him spin down the center of the road in my mirror and come to rest dead on the yellow line. Not as exciting, but preferable to a deer.

FunGramps (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

In April, 2015 @ 0620 I had an unscheduled meeting with a deer. The deer's head took out my right passing lamp. It's leg hit my highway peg which my foot was on. The force of impact broke a bone in my foot. The deer swung around me and took out a strap on my right saddlebag. No paint or mechanical damage.

I was doing 60 mph at the time in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. I never went down. I stopped, took in what just happened and continued on my way. it was dark so I couldn't assess the damage at the time.

A split second difference in the deer's speed or my speed and I could have easily t-boned the deer. I was incredibly fortunate.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bone Doc:
FunGramps (07-14-2017), shorelasHD (07-15-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:35 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

The first dog I hit I caught him in the hind 1/4 about 50 mph. It whipped around and hit my left leg and kicked my left leg off the peg and almost me off the bike. Gained control and pulled over in a parking lot and got rid of the shakes in about 5 minutes and road on.
The second one I hit I hit square on (t-boned him) right in front of a family of 4 on the side of the road. They called their lost dog out of a corn field and across in front of me. I looked in my mirrors and saw them all standing looking at their dead dog laying on the highway. I kept riding. I did not want to look the 2 kids in the face. This one happened 30 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

FunGramps (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:38 PM
Old Rust
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
In April, 2015 @ 0620 I had an unscheduled meeting with a deer. The deer's head took out my right passing lamp. It's leg hit my highway peg which my foot was on. The force of impact broke a bone in my foot. The deer swung around me and took out a strap on my right saddlebag. No paint or mechanical damage.

I was doing 60 mph at the time in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. I never went down. I stopped, took in what just happened and continued on my way. it was dark so I couldn't assess the damage at the time.

A split second difference in the deer's speed or my speed and I could have easily t-boned the deer. I was incredibly fortunate.
Wow, close call!
Deer scare the crap out of me. Never hit one with the bike yet but they are like fleas on a dog around here in the mountains. You really can't relax on the back roads, always looking every second.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:54 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

had a bird hit my fairing and my mirror it bounced and then it hit my wife on her bike about 30 ft behind me rolling at about 90

The following 2 users liked this post by mainboom150:
FunGramps (07-14-2017), sleighcrane (07-15-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:29 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
The first dog I hit I caught him in the hind 1/4 about 50 mph. It whipped around and hit my left leg and kicked my left leg off the peg and almost me off the bike. Gained control and pulled over in a parking lot and got rid of the shakes in about 5 minutes and road on.
The second one I hit I hit square on (t-boned him) right in front of a family of 4 on the side of the road. They called their lost dog out of a corn field and across in front of me. I looked in my mirrors and saw them all standing looking at their dead dog laying on the highway. I kept riding. I did not want to look the 2 kids in the face. This one happened 30 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.
Must have been tough staying on your bike!

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Animals hitting my bike? I caught one trying to key it but I stomped my foot, yelled and scared it away just in time. On the other hand, I haven't hit/ran over one yet. Yet.
Stay out of Stockton, Phil.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-14-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:36 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Hit a ground squirrel and it about threw me off my bike. No damage to anyone but the squirrel. It was a little guy but it caused a pretty big rip where I chewed a piece off my seat.

FunGramps (07-14-2017)

Quick Reply: Hitting animals on your bike...what have you experienced?