General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitting animals on your bike...what have you experienced?

Old 07-18-2017, 07:44 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,371 Likes on 2,947 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Birds a couple of times when living in Oregon. Last weekend a rattle snake in a tight turn, ( Gopher Canyon Road) on my Road King. That sucker was slippery.
Ran over a rattler on Lilac Rd with my RK! Left a nice "divot" in the snake.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:17 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Lotta interesting stories here! Here's another:

Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'll bet the dog ran off, pretty much unharmed.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:18 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 933 Posts

That dog/semi vid has been around since last year. Here's a vid from another rider in the group. That dog yelp was the end for rover.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by TejasJeff
The question - So you see an animal in your path, do you try and go around them (if there is time - yes) or do you slow as much as you can and continue on your path ahead? In my motocross days, I tried to avoid a dog in my path one day and it jolted at the last minute and I crashed, hard. From then on, I continue down the path I was on knowing there is a chance I may hit the animal, or not. What say you pros?
Not claiming pro status, but I hit the brakes holding straight to bleed all the speed off I can. If it looks like I can do a miss at the last moment, that's when I try; I've done that.

High speed maneuvering to miss an animal or even a car often goes wrong; you tend to over do it and can't recover on the road in time. It also gives the organic object in the way a chance to get out of the way, and if you're maneuvering at that point, they're liable to avoid right into your new direction. Last moment turn gives them less time to move where you don't expect it - that's a way to avoid dogs that aren't trying to miss you, too, some of them are awfully good at tracking you.

That "laying it down" business will almost always mean you just hit a lot harder - way over half your deceleration comes from that front tire, steel and organic matter have little grip. On one occasion, there was no miss possible, and I jumped as hard as I could and somehow cleared the handlebars, came down on my head and rolled, and... not a scratch (helmet). But I probably had it under 20mph before I did that, bleeding speed till the last instant was the right choice, though in these circumstances, you're going to act on instinct, no time to think. Gotta do the thinking before something happens so the situation is already set up in the brain. That even works on occasion...

Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 PM
Rurlndum
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I accidentally ran over a flattened roadkill rabbit this week and got a front tire puncture as a result of the bunny's bone fragments.

Guess I should pay more attention to what is directly in front of me on the road.

And yes I replaced the tire.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:11 PM
Grady10
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Rabbit with rear tire on the Dyna Wide Glide, bird on the mirror with a gooey mess to clean up off the bike and me on the Dyna Wide Glide, raccoon with the engine guard on the Heritage Softail Classic, to many bugs to count. Haven't hit anything with the Ultra...yet
Dogs and deer are what keep me on my toes and head on a swivel

Old 07-19-2017, 03:19 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

The only live animal I hit was a pigeon that went right through my front wheel (spoked) and nothing but feathers came out the other side. My spokes were a mess though. None bent, but several had a lot of pigeon goo on them. I did come over a hill once and as I crested the hill there was a already dead pig laying in the road. It was like riding over a foot high curb at about 55 MPH. I never lost it and there was no damage to the bike. I also plastered a Luna moth all over my face shield one night. Those suckers are big for a moth. I couldn't see a thing till I cleaned my shield off.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:49 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,968 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Not bike related, but years ago in an SUV about 5:30am, saw a flash and BAM on the side of the car. I thought it was Big Foot or a Bear ! Startled and turn around, but it was gone. Pulled in a parking light and my bumper was hanging and fog lights trashed. $1500 at the shop, insurance covered most. Never knew what the hell it was..

Old 08-10-2017, 02:25 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Nothing bigger than a bug with my bike or car, but once a seagull with an airplane propeller, fortunately on the ground, so at low speed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hitting animals on your bike...what have you experienced?