General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Advice

Old 07-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Phideux
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 73 Posts

Go to the dealer, sit on a bunch of bikes, see what fits you. Nothing wrong with a Softtail, love mine. After you sit a bunch of bikes you might not even like the feel of a Softtail and like something else. Are you looking to buy new or used??? There are a ton of Used Softtails for sale pretty cheap.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:34 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Go to that dealership and rent a softie. This should help you decide if it's for you.
This is...presuming you've got a fair amount of motorcycle experience to begin with...

If not, get your training out of the way first.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:38 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,718 Likes on 6,183 Posts

Originally Posted by jhblaze1
Ignore the douche making trailer jokes. Some people work for a living and can't take a month off to ride across country. So I call people who have done it names, to compensate for it.
Fixed it for ya. Your sense of humor is sadder than your attitude toward what it's all about...riding.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,612 Likes on 748 Posts

Pick the bike you like best - like the look of, what fits you, and the ride.

Good advice about going to a dealer and doing a test ride.

My first motorcycle is a 2016 Softail Slim S. Many people said, "get a small bike first to learn on". I disagree. Get the motorcycle you want. I never felt the need to "trade up", and feel that I have a better skill level with my Softail since it is the bike I also learned on.

Enjoy!

R,
Sanjuro

The following users liked this post:
Bluestraveler (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

For the kind of riding you describe, I would find a bike with cruise control, I dont think they offer cruise for softails, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:01 PM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Fixed it for ya. Your sense of humor is sadder than your attitude toward what it's all about...riding.
cool story.

Originally Posted by Keithhu
For the kind of riding you describe, I would find a bike with cruise control, I dont think they offer cruise for softails, but I could be wrong.
S models have it, but not sure about the regular softies.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-19-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:14 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestraveler
This is my first post and I realize I might get laughed off this site, but I am sincerely seeking some advice. I am in the process of buying my first motorcycle/Harley. I live in Minnesota and plan on doing some trips out west this fall and next year, in addition to riding in Minnesota/Wisconsin. I would likely trailer the bike when I go out west.

I am leaning towards purchasing a Softail Heritage Classic. I like the look, feel, and fit. I also think this will be plenty comfortable for the type of riding that I plan on doing -- based largely on what sales people at several dealerships have told me.

Any suggestions for a first time buyer? Is the Heritage Classic a bad way to go?

Thanks.
Personally, I wouldn't base all my thinking on what a salesman says. If this is your first bike, I would suggest that you take a class to learn the basics. Then, if possible, find out when your dealer has any Demo rides and test ride different models to see which one is the easiest for you to handle. Because besides look, feel and fit, you also need to be able to handle the bike safely and also, though you like the Heritage, another model might be easier for you to handle.

The following 2 users liked this post by SPRINGER:
Bluestraveler (07-19-2017), rgk (07-21-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 01:25 PM
SCovelli
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a HSC and they are great bikes.

The questions you have to ask yourself is,

1. What type of riding am I going to do.
2. What options do I want.
3. What can I afford.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:42 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by jhblaze1
...Some people work for a living and can't take a month off to ride across country. I live in MA and work a 9-5. I'd LOVE to take 2 months off and ride to the left coast and back but that's impossible for me.
I got news for you, sport... most of us who ride long distance work full-time jobs too. It's how we PAY for those cross-country trips. We just make "the ride" about... THE RIDE. I get three weeks vacation a year - one week for the family vacation (plane or van ride), and two weeks for a decent road trip. You should try it sometime.

I'll readily admit, long riding isn't for everyone, and I don't care if someone trailers or not. But to suggest you CAN'T ride because you have a full-time job is nonsense.

Originally Posted by Keithhu
A riding buddy has the 2017 Heritage. It does, in fact, have Cruise.

To the OP - The Heritage is a fine motorcycle. My buddy who rides the 2017 Heritage traded his 2006 Heritage for a 2011 Street Glide - then traded the 2011 Street Glide for a 2017 Heritage. He missed the Heritage, and likes the way it ridxes and handles better than the Glide. To each his own.

It IS a heavy bike... Personally, I agree with the crowd that says get a starter bike to start. My first bike was a 750 Honda. It weighed in at about 500-lbs wet, and when I first started riding, it felt H-U-G-E!! After a summer of riding, it began to feel small. A year later, I sold it for $1,800 to a good friend of mine (I paid $2,000), and moved into a Kawasaki Vulcan - my first BIG motorcycle. I dropped the old Honda (twice), and never even thought to look to see if I scratched the paint. Too, it was pretty easy to lift off it's side by myself.

15 years later, my buddy still has that bike... he rides about 800 miles per year on it. I made him promise, if and when he sells it, I get first dibs at it.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Grady10
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

My wife who is 5'3" had a Heritage until she had to go to a freewheeler due to health concerns. I loved riding it, when she let me of course, LOL. It is and always has been a great HD product. Low center of gravity, not too heavy but not to light either. The 2015 and up has cruise on it. I agree with most what everyone else has said. Take the MSF course, practice, practice, and practice will make you a more experienced rider. One thing that I didn't see was KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL!!! Act like EVERYONE out there is trying to kill you!!
So good luck on your decision and welcome to the forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seeking Advice