General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:30 PM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
I got news for you, sport... most of us who ride long distance work full-time jobs too. It's how we PAY for those cross-country trips. We just make "the ride" about... THE RIDE. I get three weeks vacation a year - one week for the family vacation (plane or van ride), and two weeks for a decent road trip. You should try it sometime.

I'll readily admit, long riding isn't for everyone, and I don't care if someone trailers or not. But to suggest you CAN'T ride because you have a full-time job is nonsense.

I'd love to try it sometime. I'm glad you think you know what my job is like though.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:34 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by jhblaze1
I'd love to try it sometime. I'm glad you think you know what my job is like though.
Well, it seems you already know about everyone else's...

Old 07-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Bluestraveler
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note to say thanks for all the great comments and advice. Got a pretty thick skin, so even the trailer comments were good for a chuckle. For what it's worth, the only reason I mentioned a trailer is because I have heard some bikes/models are simply more comfortable for a long ride lasting a couple days, or more, than others. Thanks, again.

The following users liked this post:
BobbyJones (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 04:48 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

fellas please.... you're gonna scare the new guy away...

he didn't say that all people that work full time can't do it, he said 'some'. obviously, some can. then there's some that don't want to and choose to trailer somewhere, 'just because'. everyone has their own needs, wants, desires, and makes their own choices. for them, it's the right choice. for others, maybe not so much.

from the sound of it, it doesn't sound like you're gonna need a full on tourer, so go to the dealer and check out the fit of all the bikes. including tourers. just because you have one doesn't mean you have to ride 1000 mile days. pick the one that speaks to you. you will know which one it is. (after you get some experience under your belt)

Last edited by skratch; 07-19-2017 at 04:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bluestraveler (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 04:53 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

The typical buying chain goes something like this.

Sportster > Dyna or Softail > Touring bike

Old 07-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 784 Posts

The great thing about HD is many dealerships have rental bikes. You really should ride several before plunking down your hard earned money. Also, there are many, many used bikes on the market and as many of us who bought new know all too well the resale market is in the buyer's favor. Take your time.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 541 Likes on 377 Posts

Wife and I have 3 HDs. 17 Limited,12 Heritage and an 09 TriGlide. I enjoy riding all of them. Between the Limited and the Heritage Ive got to say the Heritage is much more easy to manuever around and I feel more connected to it. I attribute that to the feeling of sitting in it rather than on it and the less weight. Anyway....I have and wouldnt hesitate to take it anywhere that I would the other two. I added the fork fangs to it and it provides just as much reduction in turbulence as the batwing on the Limited and TriGlide. Two up on the Heritage sure not as compfy as the others Ill say. Just my opinion.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:17 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

To me, your question is either "which Harley to get" or "which bike to get"? I am on my second HD after 8 years ('09 RK and '17RK). When I decided to re-enter riding ten years ago, my wife pointed out one thing. She said start with a low cost bike. If you wind up not liking motorcycles, you did not invest too much. If it kills you (literally), you will not hurt the family estate. I bought a metric soft tail (V-Star 1100 for $6500). After riding it for two years and 13,000 miles, I up grade to the Road King.

For me, all soft tails, including HDs, were too low to the ground (long legs). The touring frame was perfect BUT it was a lot more bike (heavy) and I had to learn a few things all over again.

If you are starting out, the Heritage is great but it still is a large financial investment and if you are still learning to love bikes, there are cheaper ways to test the waters. A good used Metric bike will cost less and give you the feel of a "real" bike, until you are ready for the jump up to the touring bikes. Most/all 1000cc or larger bikes from any brand will take you on all day/multiple day rides. Jump up to the big dogs only when you are ready.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:35 PM
JWP07
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

So I got back on a bike 2 years ago after a prolonged layoff. I first had a heritage and really loved that bike however, I found myself wanting to take longer cruises. I know you can take a heritage cross country but at my age, I wanted better suspension plus I wanted hard bags that locked. Yup....I could have done the upgrades but once I took the 17 road king out, it was an easy call to make the trade. That's just my experience. My thoughts, test ride LOTS and pick a bike you know will fit your needs further down the road. Good luck!

Last edited by JWP07; 07-19-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-19-2017, 07:38 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
. . . I dont think they offer cruise for softails, but I could be wrong.
Yeah they sure do. And, it's standard on the Heritage now.

Quick Reply: Seeking Advice