General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,613 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCop
I must agree to the above. I've seen numerous riders where you obviously can tell according to the way they ride there bikes they are not in control. Too big of bike for them at this stage.
Which does not mean they can, just needs some serious attention.
The problem is that you don't require that much skill as long as everything goes well, the minute it goes wrong your skill level is what will keep you up straight if possible. And at that moment it does not matter how many badges you have , how big your attitude is and how "bad ***" you are. A smaller bike will increase your skill level much faster. So your "high risk period"= driving with little experience will be reduced much faster.

I don't know that I agree with this. I wonder if riding a small maneuverable bike is too different from riding a larger, heavier bike. Different skill sets involved. Certainly there would be some crossover in skills, but the mindset I think would be different.

For example, where a smaller bike could swerve to avoid an obstacle, a larger bike might better just braking hard and slowing/stopping instead of trying to swerve.

Hmmm... I need to think on this a bit more...

R,
Sanjuro

Old 07-20-2017, 09:53 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

I'll go against the majority and say a 750 lb bike is not the best first bike. I believe in getting a bike around 500cc and learn on it. Buy it used on Craigslist and after a year you can sell it for about what you paid for it.

It's safer and when you drop it (and you will drop it) you're not dumping a $17k bike.

That said, the Heritage is more than comfortable enough for multi-thousand mile trips.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:03 AM
SCovelli
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

A lot of input here about what YOU should buy. I'm 63 and have purchased many toys over the years, vehicle related and not. Believe when I tell you, BUY WHAT YOU WANT or you'll be sorry you didn't. Do your research, take it out for a test ride/drive. And for the love of peace, only you can determine whether you can handle that model. Just sit on the thing and if your feet can't touch the pavement, well that ought to be a clue that model just isn't going to work for you. You really don't need us telling you that.

There's nothing worse than someone repeating themselves, but,

The questions you have to ask yourself is,

1. What type of riding am I going to do.
2. What options do I want.
3. What can I afford.

At the end of the day, BUY WHAT YOU WANT!

You do not want to be that guy looking at your bike in your garage, wishing you had bought the one with this option or that option. It WILL be more costly in the end for you. Ask me how I know?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:15 PM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
Well, it seems you already know about everyone else's...
yeah sure. Cuz I'm the one who brought up trailering a bike. All I said was not everyone can take months off at a time to go ride.

I hope the people who can, enjoy it. It must be nice.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:29 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCop
A smaller bike will increase your skill level much faster. So your "high risk period"= driving with little experience will be reduced much faster.
Often, I am asked for the rational for "Why start with a small/light bike?"
Well, this is a perfect explaination.
Well done, Sir!

Old 07-20-2017, 02:33 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by jhblaze1
yeah sure. Cuz I'm the one who brought up trailering a bike. All I said was not everyone can take months off at a time to go ride.

I hope the people who can, enjoy it. It must be nice.
And all I said is most people don't take months off to ride. I'm heading to Sturgis this year - 1-1/2 weeks total, 3,300 miles.

I don't care if you trailer, but don't pretend it's because you don't have "months" to ride.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:05 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestraveler
Just a note to say thanks for all the great comments and advice. Got a pretty thick skin, so even the trailer comments were good for a chuckle. For what it's worth, the only reason I mentioned a trailer is because I have heard some bikes/models are simply more comfortable for a long ride lasting a couple days, or more, than others. Thanks, again.
The one thing I'll add that doesn't seem to get mentioned that often in these threads (and they come up frequently) is that a lot of this depends on your individual financial situation.

If you're in a position where you can buy a brand new bike (and I mean write a check for the full purchase price) without thinking twice about the money, that matters.

OTOH, if you're not...if this is a financial stretch for you in any way, such as you are taking out a loan...then that matters too.

If you've never owned/lived with a bike, then the reality is you have no idea if the reality of riding will match your expectations. You may think you will like it, but until you are living it, you just don't know.

Craigslist is choc-a-bloc with bikes that guys bought thinking that was what they wanted, only to find that it just wasn't as great as they expected. So the bike sits, and eventually they get around to unloading it, and they take a major beating in the process.

Which is just another reason why, for most people (ie, those who don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars just sitting in the bank), a cheaper, used bike is a better option. Not only does it have all the benefits previously mentioned, if you discover that riding just isn't your thing, you can turn around and sell it for most (or even all) of what you bought it for.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0maha:
BikerPepe` (07-20-2017), Bluestraveler (07-21-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:39 PM
GomerPyle
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestraveler
This is my first post and I realize I might get laughed off this site, but I am sincerely seeking some advice. I am in the process of buying my first motorcycle/Harley. I live in Minnesota and plan on doing some trips out west this fall and next year, in addition to riding in Minnesota/Wisconsin. I would likely trailer the bike when I go out west.

I am leaning towards purchasing a Softail Heritage Classic. I like the look, feel, and fit. I also think this will be plenty comfortable for the type of riding that I plan on doing -- based largely on what sales people at several dealerships have told me.

Any suggestions for a first time buyer? Is the Heritage Classic a bad way to go?

Thanks.
I have a 2011 Road King Classic. I was my first motorcycle!! I bought it with 7664 miles in April of 2014. It is now July of 2017 and I have over 46K miles. With that said...I am bias toward a touring bike...The Road King provides perfect medium between the "upscale" touring Harley Limited's and Softails.

The Softail is a great choice but for longer hauls, stick with a Road King, Road Glide, Street Glide, or Limiteds.

The following users liked this post:
Carlosjustme (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 PM
Carlosjustme
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Query to historical experts in Harleys...

Please, I need to know if this photo from the '30s is an old Davidson , a Norton, Triumph or other sidecar. Anyone knows this for certain?
I need this info correct for historical purposes. Thanks to you all, guys.

Last edited by Carlosjustme; 07-21-2017 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Forgot the title!
Old 07-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Bluestraveler
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks much. Your post and others (in addition to friends with HDs) have convinced me that used is definitely the way to go. I appreciate all of the comments.

Quick Reply: Seeking Advice