General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Harley in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:34 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

As for the Ducati deal. VW was selling Ducati because the faced huge fines for the scam on emissions. It turns out they got off easy so the main investors in VW were not supporting the sale.
While they pulld some cash for what they pulled they got a free pass.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:35 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,304 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
People are not going to listen to this over and over, they will jump ship and buy another brand, which seems to be what is happening. Looks like 2018 may not be a good year for the mother ship.
What brand, Indian? Who else makes a good looking cruiser? I am going go ride a Limited, having not been a fan of that valence on the front wheel. however I am not a fan of the dash on those bikes and just sitting on the seat in the dealership it felt uncomfortable

Last edited by ChrisHo; 07-20-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:45 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,470 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Whats funny is in my area, which is mid size cities of the piedmont NC, growing up there were two honda dealers in an 8 mile radius. There was a kawasaki dealer in that same area and a yamaha dealer about 3 miles from the kawasaki dealership. Every last one of these has closed down.

I bought my one and only other street bike from Honda of High Point back in 2000. They closed down about 2 years ago.

Now I think there is only two true brand specific metric cruiser dealerships within a 40 mile radius, not counting Indian/Polaris, which I think there is only one.

Personally I dont see a lot of non Harley bikes on the road, unless its the sports bike variety, and even then I dont see them like I did 20 years ago.

Out of about 20 ppl that ride where I work, there is one Indian, and two other yamahas or suzukis. The non sports bike types. There used to be a goldwing, which he sold and no longer even works here, and there was one bmw that was sold as well.

Last edited by teedoff65; 07-20-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:50 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
News out today that Harley Davidson stock has plummeted 20% because of low sales and layoffs are coming. I really wonder if Harley has not cut their own throat with all of their "EPA void you warranty" scare tactics. I know other brands are also bound by EPA stuff but Harley seems to be the only one scaring potential buyers away by talking so much about it. A lot of people do not want to hear "it will void you warranty" every time you ask a dealer a question about installing slip ons, air cleaners and such. I asked a dealer about installing my 21 inch front wheel on my 2017 SGS and they actually wanted me to sign a form that stated I agree that my full warranty will be voided by installing a 21 inch front wheel, said its because HD does not offer a street glide with a 21, and yes they said FULL warranty voided, engine and all. Are you F'n kidding me! This kind of stuff is what I mean when I say wonder if they have cut their own throat. People are not going to listen to this over and over, they will jump ship and buy another brand, which seems to be what is happening. Looks like 2018 may not be a good year for the mother ship.
I almost walked away from the deal on my 2017 Street Glide over this but I followed through with because I really liked the bike and I was ready for a change after riding my 2014 Chieftain for three years.

I see the market readjusting and leveling out a little bit. Indian is making a great bike and people are buying them but people are still going to buy HD's as well. My prediction is that HD will shrink a bit and Indian will continue to grow in small increments. Every bike manufacturer is feeling the crunch right now.

Is HD in trouble? Not by a long shot in my opinion.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:51 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
What brand, Indian? Who else makes a good looking cruiser?
IMHO, Indians are ugly - like the girl who fell out of the "ugly tree," hitting every branch on the way down. Indian/Polaris went WAY over the top in the retro styling department and the finished product is just nasty. At least when the MoCo went to develop a retro looking machine, it actually looked good: Heritage Softails and Deluxes. And as ugly as Indians are, the metric bikes are even worse.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
What brand, Indian? Who else makes a good looking cruiser?
Worth looking at the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture TransContinental just to understand where the competition is going.
- $27K list. 5yr warranty.
- 113 air-cooled twin. 126 ft-lbs performance from the factory.
- Heated seats and grips
- remote controlled electric locking TP, Side bags and glove box
- Nav that can updated and be loaded with routes directly through your home computer since the bike connects to the house wifi.
- Includes CB and BT communication technology. Rider/Passenger can listen to separate audio sources and make separate phone calls through the bike.
- Electric raising/lowering windshield.
- Adjustable rider and passenger floorboard positions.
- Electric Parking assist with an electric motor for backing up and slow parking lot maneuvers.
- It will be debuted at Sturgis in a couple weeks.
- Looks like a cross between a Roadglide Ultra and a CVO Limited for about $15K less than the CVO Limited.

HD should be looking closely at the technology and warranty on this new competitor.

Last edited by Heatwave; 07-20-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:59 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Pricing is an issue

Everything about Harley is priced to high for me. I used to enjoy by quality clothing from them but I no longer do. Quality is been downgraded and pricing has gone up. They also alienate the older rider in their zest to sell more bikes to the young guys. My local dealer now has two 20 year olds selling bikes as they got rid of the two older guys who were there. The new guys know nothing about the product and only rodde thier first Harley in the last six months. The new fancy dealership built a year ago has no seating outside of the building in an attempt to not have folks hang around. Get them in the door and out as fast as possible, that way they are not hanging around eating free popcorn and free coffee. Time will tell how well they do alienating the older rider who has more disposable income then the young crowd.

The following users liked this post:
betho61 (07-29-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 12:00 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by HDMIKETN64
IMHO, Indians are ugly - like the girl who fell out of the "ugly tree," hitting every branch on the way down. Indian/Polaris went WAY over the top in the retro styling department and the finished product is just nasty. At least when the MoCo went to develop a retro looking machine, it actually looked good: Heritage Softails and Deluxes. And as ugly as Indians are, the metric bikes are even worse.
I agree with Mike. Although, I did like the Indian Roadmaster. The biggest problem for me with Indian is limited dealer networks. There are Harley dealers everywhere. I live in Chicago are, my bike is in for 1000 mile service in Michigan. I really wish I had bought the CVO, the limited is what I could afford right now. My kid is in college and let me tell you, that takes big money......

Old 07-20-2017, 12:02 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,470 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Worth looking at the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture TransContinental just to understand where the competition is going.
- $27K list. 5yr warranty.
- 113 air-cooled twin. 126 ft-lbs performance from the factory.
- Heated seats and grips
- Nav that can updated and be loaded with routes directly through your home computer since the bike connects to the house wifi.
- Includes CB and BT communication technology. Rider/Passenger can listen to separate audio sources and make separate phone calls through the bike.
- Electric raising/lowering windshield.
- Adjustable rider and passenger floorboard positions.
- Electric Parking assist with an electric motor for backing up and slow parking lot maneuvers.
- It will be debuted at Sturgis in a couple weeks.
- Looks like a cross between a Roadglide Ultra and a CVO Limited for about $15K less than the CVO Limited.

HD should be looking closely at the technology and warranty on this new competitor.
Some of those goodies sound cool, and again the honda aero I had was a reliable good running bike. Even sounded pretty good with V&H long shots. The problem I had with it was the quality of the "chrome" parts. Every year I'd have to replace the mirror arms, cables and other various shiny bobbles because they rusted. No I didnt park it outside, it was under a carport.

I've seen rust on older harleys, but they were OLD....and probably not taken care of or stored properly.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

If Harley wants to sell bikes to millennials, they are going to have to make an automatic...yet to see a millennial who can drive a stick.

Quick Reply: Is Harley in trouble?