General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Harley in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 04:10 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

I'm not sure exactly how many other motorcycle companies there are, but I'm sure most of them would like to be in the same kind of "trouble" that Harley is.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:16 PM
tekin112000
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

HD is not going to die but they will have to change with the times

Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 AM
PHX M8
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedmastermotor
Yes, I was quoted $16200.00 OTD for a new Street Bob (no ABS).
Geeeze
I paid a pinch more for a 2017 road king here in Phoenix. I suppose the no Tax
in Oregon is why they are screwing you guys

Old 08-13-2017, 11:42 AM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

What happened to Jessica, you guys scared her off.....[/QUOTE]

She ran out of carbon and died.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:26 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by rideflhr
What happened to Jessica, you guys scared her off.....
She ran out of carbon and died.[/QUOTE]

Lol, ohh I think she's just lurking in the background

Old 09-02-2017, 05:41 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
News out today that Harley Davidson stock has plummeted 20% because of low sales and layoffs are coming. I really wonder if Harley has not cut their own throat with all of their "EPA void you warranty" scare tactics. I know other brands are also bound by EPA stuff but Harley seems to be the only one scaring potential buyers away by talking so much about it. A lot of people do not want to hear "it will void you warranty" every time you ask a dealer a question about installing slip ons, air cleaners and such. I asked a dealer about installing my 21 inch front wheel on my 2017 SGS and they actually wanted me to sign a form that stated I agree that my full warranty will be voided by installing a 21 inch front wheel, said its because HD does not offer a street glide with a 21, and yes they said FULL warranty voided, engine and all. Are you F'n kidding me! This kind of stuff is what I mean when I say wonder if they have cut their own throat. People are not going to listen to this over and over, they will jump ship and buy another brand, which seems to be what is happening. Looks like 2018 may not be a good year for the mother ship.
DING DING DING!
we have a winner!
Being No1 has turned the MoCo into a dictatorship.
I have actually been yelled at and reprimanded for showing up with after market item attached.
Best was when I blew a head light. Service guy who I thought was a friend. Because he sold me a bike once, but then took over the service department... Said, what do you expect Jack! Look at it! You relocated your coil. Routing crank case breather into a catch can. 2-1. Of course I laughed and told him to GTFO and fix my chit

Old 09-02-2017, 07:41 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
They are already reducing production and have been since 2007. It has been a gradual downward sloap in sales for the MOCO for years. They acknowledged this aging thing at least a decade ago and have tried unsuccessfully to attract younger customers, with very limited success I think a big part of the problem that young riders are not attracted to Harleys is because of the culture. Harley riders tend to dress in black leather, dew rags and sport loud exhausts. That turns most young riders off, especially the metric crowd. Nothing pisses the general public off more than to have some sleezy looking dude pull up next to them at a stop light and be constantly cleaning out his pipes waiting for the light to change.
So, if Harley can somehow change the culture without alienating their current customers they might be able to reverse the sales trend downward.
Another thing is they are pricing themselves out of the millennial market by marketing themselves as a "premium" product. They aren't really better than all of their competition, they just charge more for their product. Young people don't have that much disposable income to plunk down $15-40k for a part time ride.
Totaly right,
If you look at the cruser market in the 10-15k range there's a hell of a lot of options out there.
i looked at 2 Indian's, 2 triumph's 3 Honda's and 1 yamaha all before I even considered a Harley.

I look at Harley's like apple computers, a good product that 's overpriced in a market of many with
a plethora of options at a cheaper price

Wiz out

Old 09-02-2017, 07:52 AM
FLSSBart
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think all motorcycle manufacturers are in "trouble" based on all the articles I'm reading. All the major manufacturers are experiencing some decline in sales.

I read where Harley market shares in the cruiser category have gone from 51% to 49%. Thats still an AMAZING number when you think about it; Just about every other cruiser sold is a Harley.

Sure its sales numbers has dropped and Harley needs to make sure it doesn't start to really slide, but there are alot of considerations that are out of Harley's hands which a lot of people have addressed in their posts...

Old 09-02-2017, 08:36 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSSBart
I think all motorcycle manufacturers are in "trouble" based on all the articles I'm reading. All the major manufacturers are experiencing some decline in sales.

I read where Harley market shares in the cruiser category have gone from 51% to 49%. Thats still an AMAZING number when you think about it; Just about every other cruiser sold is a Harley.

Sure its sales numbers has dropped and Harley needs to make sure it doesn't start to really slide, but there are alot of considerations that are out of Harley's hands which a lot of people have addressed in their posts...
Harley's market share in the over 601 cc category has dropped from 57% to whatever it is right now. And I believe, but I'm not 100% sure, that BMW just reported a sixth consecutive year of record sales. Those 1200GS and GSA models are selling like crazy.

Yes, all motorcycle manufacturers are struggling a bit, but some are struggling a lot less than others.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:48 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I bet if Apple were to design and sell motorcycles sales would go through the roof.

They can call it the iBike, start them at $40k and millennials would line up around the block for them.

Quick Reply: Is Harley in trouble?