General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello to all. Question regarding a Twin Cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:51 PM
golfish5
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all, I hope someday that I'll be able to help a new member like you all.

I purchased a custom bike last weekend (please see link below) I think I got a good deal even thought little problems are popping up.

My main concern is oil flow and temp. If you scroll down and look at the pictures, you can see that the builder added a second oil filter. His thought was "more oil and more cooling space will keep tems lower", I couldn't agree more with him. When I got the bike, the oil filter and mount was gone and bypassed.

I'm no builder, I can assemble stuff pretty good but I leave the fabrication to my buddy.

I know, get to it I'm thinking about adding a Pro One oil cooler back where the second filter mount was. You can see that the return and vent fittings are on the top left of the oil tank, running the lines to the cooler wont kill the oil flow too much, I hole.

Do you think the oil cooler will work for this bike?

Thank you all

Bike pictures
http://www.streetchopperweb.com/2007...y-rigid#page-5

oil cooler
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/740-871

I'm okay with the evo engines, the twin cams are new to me, a few different things that throw we off.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-22-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:10 AM
TomCop
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

If you want added cooling you better look for a fanned oil cooler. This one is more for looks than for efficiency I am afraid. Adding an extra cooler and extra tubing will increase the resistance, you need to make sure that your fuel pump is up for this and can overcome the added resistance to keep require flow. You can't just change one thing without looking at the complete setup and impact of it. There are fanned oil coolers on the market that are mounted under the voltage regulator. These will help when you idle, and that's when it really gets hot.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:31 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts

When you said "When I got the bike, the oil filter and mount was gone and bypassed."

Did you know he was going to take the oil cooler and filter off before you picked it up or did he just do it and not say anything? If he did it without telling you then you should not have bought the bike. Also it looks like theres some rust on several parts of the bike. Makes me wonder how he cared for the bike.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Looks like a decent bike.
An observation and a couple questions....

The Observation...
The added on oil filter is ugly as sin and is a cheap unit tacked on to the bike in a cheesy way. I woulda taken it off myself if I woulda bought the bike. Just my opinion.

The Question...
Does the bike run hot? If not, don't worry about the missing filter or adding an oil cooler. Tens of thousands of bikes are running around with far less air flow to the motor than this, and don't need extra cooling. If it runs hot, find out why and fix that rather than trying to put on a band-aid. Again. Just my opinion

Old 07-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

In my admittedly limited experience, all Twin Cams run hot, especially compared to the Evo that preceded it.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Very cool bike. The remote filter mounted in the back reminds me of some Indian Larry builds. I wouldn't worry too much about an oil cooler unless you spend a bunch of time in traffic on hot days. Then it helps a little.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 AM
maverick31210
Road Captain
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

Is it running hot as it is or is this just something that you're concerned about?

Those remote mounts are pretty common for a lot of choppers because they just make sense on those bikes. Yours still has the front oil filter, I would leave that for now unless you start seeing heating issues.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:10 PM
golfish5
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boe1971200

Did you know he was going to take the oil cooler and filter off before you picked it up or did he just do it and not say anything?

I'm the 3rd owner, I came across the link above after I bought the bike. I don't know why or who removed the back oil filter. I know the guy I bought it from didn't.

The bike is a little different than shown in that write up\link. It has new handle bars, PM hand controls and new exhaust. The guy I bought it from did all that work a couple months ago

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
The Question...
Does the bike run hot? If not, don't worry about the missing filter or adding an oil cooler. Tens of thousands of bikes are running around with far less air flow to the motor than this, and don't need extra cooling. If it runs hot, find out why and fix that rather than trying to put on a band-aid. Again. Just my opinion

Thanks Mike, I think it runs a little hot but then that could just be me. I haven't rode a bike in 5 years. The problem I see with this doesn't is it doesn't have a lot of oil to start with. The builder cut away part of the tank for the seat shock

Old 07-20-2017, 02:13 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

Get a thermometer and dip it into the tank when the bike is fully warmed up and ridden and see what it reads.

Or if you don't mind swapping out the cap that's on there now, get a cap with a thermometer on top and keep an eye on it.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:40 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

FWIW, I have an 07 96 bored out to 103 with 10.5:1 compression with about 50,000+ miles that has been put on it in the Texas heat. I have never had an oil cooler on it yet and It still runs great, so if the bike isn't burning your leg don't worry about it, just roll with what you got. Oh yeah welcome to the HDForum from central Texas I hope you enjoy the read between the rides.

Quick Reply: Hello to all. Question regarding a Twin Cam