General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a different windshield help the passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 03:10 PM
cleber
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Upgraded the stock shield from my SGS to Klockwerks 8.5 and my wife told me it has improved drastically from my stock.

-Cheers

Old 07-29-2017, 05:44 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 490 Posts

Installed the LRS flat top 11" today. Wind buffeting seems better, but I'm bummed because it is about an inch too high. The top lip is right in my line of sight. I'm going to have to cut it down, I guess.
It must stand up a lot higher than stock, because the stock shield was the perfect height, top lip right at mustache level, and I measured it at 10 3/4", so I ordered an 11" LRS. I guess a trip to the band saw is in order.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:35 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

For all you guys running LRS flat tops, would you be willing to share your shield height and passenger height?

I've been thinking of getting one for 2 up trips, but trying to determine how short a shield I can get away with and still give my wife some comfort. She's an inch shorter than me, but her height is in her torso, mine is my legs - so she probably is an inch taller than me when sitting.

I'm currently running a 7" LRS Ultra which works great for airflow for me, and I can see over comfortably. 8" shouldn't be an issue for seeing over for me, but 9 might be.

I know LRS has a great return policy, but I'd like to try to get it right the first time.

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:12 AM
matthew6279
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Same boat here. Looking at getting the Clearview Shield. For me stock height with the recurve should be correct and I'm going to get the 5" + wider option as well. May add the DK cooling fins as well.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:24 AM
dustinn3
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the 12" LRS Flat top and it made a huge difference for my wife. I have a 17 ultra with stock seat. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'4". I could've went another inch higher and still be fine.

The only issue I have is my mpg seems to be really bad on my bike, not sure if it has anything to the flat top or not. Has anyone else noticed mpg going down significantly after installing it? Just curious since it changes the aerodynamics.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by dandrumheller
For all you guys running LRS flat tops, would you be willing to share your shield height and passenger height?
My Wife gets minimal buffering.
However would it really help you if I told you I had an 8" LRS and my Wife is 5' 2" tall?

What about what bike I have?
What about what fairing I have?
What about what seat I have?
What about how long is my Wife's inseam?
What about what kind of helmet my Wife wears?
What about does her helmet have a visor?

All these things need to be considered.
I went through 3 different heights before I found a size that worked for both my Wife and I.

I doubt you are going to find what works for some doesn't work for others and trial and error is you best option.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:36 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 490 Posts

Following up on this. I ran the LRS flat top last summer & fall and this spring, and while it did seem to help the passenger buffeting some, it did introduce some squirreliness into the forks. Windy days and passing 18-wheelers are eye openers, to be sure. Seemed like the gas mileage tanked, too, as some others have mentioned on here. And I never grew into the look, either.
So I took it back off and went back to the stocker, for now. I'm going to compare this configuration (including some custom lower deflectors I made up) and see how it goes. Maybe try a more traditional narrow recurve next. The quest continues.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:30 AM
matthew6279
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd like to provide my feedback now that I've had time to experiment.

2014 Ultra limited. Im 5'11, wife is 5'4. When sitting on the bike her head and my head are about the same. I'm longer in the torso. I installed modified fangs and those made a drastic difference in the buffeting.

First started with a clearview winshield. Extra wide and recurve. It was okay. Better than stock but not great. Rode with this for many miles.

Decided to give LRS a try since they are so highly rated. Started with a 9" flat top wide. Too short for me. LRS suggested a 9" recurve with the new zephyr vent. While better than the regular it was still too short. However, the vent makes a huge difference for me with buffeting. I leave it open on notch 2 and I get a nice cooling breeze on my face and almost no buffeting.

Last LRS sent me an 11" wide recurve with the vent. I've got about 1000 miles on it but so far I love it. Wife loves it as well. To me the vent really makes the biggest difference. But the wide and recurve definitely helps

Old 05-30-2018, 11:11 AM
Moose2011FLHX
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

I run the LRS 11" Flat top. Bike was a 2011 Street Glide with a hammock seat. I'm 6'2" tall and gf is 5'2" tall, she gets no wind at all and I've had taller girls behind me who also say they get miniminal wind or buffeting.I have ordered a new LRS 11" flat top for my new 2018 Street Glide because i can't stand the 10" Harley shield i bought with the bike.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I ordered the Clearview 21" for the Road King extra wide and stretched bottom with recurve and the 5 way vent. It's been about 2 weeks and am still anxiously waiting for delivery. I guess each one is custom made and there is a waiting period. If that don't help I guess fangs will be next. I'll post a review once I get it and test for a few miles. It will be replacing a stock 22" Road King Police windshield.

Quick Reply: Will a different windshield help the passenger?