General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooler twin Cam engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,727 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by LenBoyLo
Black paint on cooling fins and radiators is used for a reason. To wick heat from the metal it's painted on. .
Just as GM went to black paint on engines from Orange and blue - runs cooler. Chrome also makes any engine run hotter.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:43 PM
LenBoyLo
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Hey. I posted a couple of pictures for you. Simple enough. Beauty will be in the eye of the beholder.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 07:45 PM
aviaator
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If this is what you believe, why not just leave the decorative-only "timing cover" off completely?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:46 PM
LenBoyLo
Tourer

When I used to drag race we always used black on engine blocks. Got us cooler quicker between rounds. The quicker you get back out there when you're winning rounds the more competitive you remain. Thanks for the backing man.

Because then it does look ugly. The Jim's device looks kind of neat and mounts to the same holes as the timing cover but too pricey for my wallet. Like I said a simple modification that retains a stock/custom look. Thanks.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-30-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 PM
aviaator
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rattle can the whole engine black...

Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,999 Likes on 1,998 Posts
Default Oil

I'd be a little more willing to give it a shot if you at least had a temperature gauge to tell us what your oil temperature was before and after so we'd know if it actually worked at all...just saying you feel the oil is cooler coming back to the oil bag is really not to convincing. I realize it's just a couple bucks for some screws but my time is priceless

LenBoyLo (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 08:09 PM
LenBoyLo
Tourer

Now now. No need for that. It already is factory black.

OK. When I run at highway speeds 231 F was not uncommon with ambient air at 85 to 90 F. Although getting mother nature to repeat exact same conditions is sometimes a challenge, what I have noted since doing this is oil bag temperature on average at 227 F. Small difference but a positive change. I've used an "Oil Bud" cooler since 2011 which is thermostatically controlled to start opening at 200 F. No fan used. The cooler is mostly unnoticeable because it mounts under the engine between the frame rails. Air passes over and under it. Years ago when I was doing a Vegas run and sustaining 80 MPH speeds the oil bag stayed mostly in around 235 F. I use the digital read Harley branded oil dipstick. Has always been reliable when oil is cool and at ambient temperature. i.e. matches outside air temp. Hope that helps. Good luck if you find the time.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-30-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:42 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,586 Likes on 4,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I'd be a little more willing to give it a shot if you at least had a temperature gauge to tell us what your oil temperature was before and after so we'd know if it actually worked at all...just saying you feel the oil is cooler coming back to the oil bag is really not to convincing. I realize it's just a couple bucks for some screws but my time is priceless
Not disputing what you've said, But I know that you have wasted more time on your bike, doing stuff, that does nothing at all. How many wasted projects cleaning under the tank? Or hiding a wire that you think looks out of place? Try it, it sounds reasonable. I am going to. The logic seems to fit reality, and if he's wrong, we can all send him a big bill for our time, that for the first time owning a bike, we wasted!!

I like this, and I'll let you know how it worked on my bike. I may modify it some to make it look cooler, but every little bit of heat dissipation, is a good thing

The following 2 users liked this post by harleycharlie1992:
LenBoyLo (07-21-2017), tar_snake (07-24-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:28 AM
LenBoyLo
Tourer

So harleycharley1992. First off thanks for your support. It cost me nothing but a little time to create and post originally. Never thought there be such serious skeptics though. Seems so reasonable no one out there had envisioned this before. And maybe not even the Motor Company. Anyhow, kindly let me know what you modify to add the cool factor (looks) so I can see for myself. Thanks again eh. Hahaha. Nothing ventured/Nothing gained.

tar_snake (07-24-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:49 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,149 Likes on 5,594 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
Not disputing what you've said, But I know that you have wasted more time on your bike, doing stuff, that does nothing at all. How many wasted projects cleaning under the tank? Or hiding a wire that you think looks out of place? Try it, it sounds reasonable. I am going to. The logic seems to fit reality, and if he's wrong, we can all send him a big bill for our time, that for the first time owning a bike, we wasted!!

I like this, and I'll let you know how it worked on my bike. I may modify it some to make it look cooler, but every little bit of heat dissipation, is a good thing
The theory sounds reasonable. It would be interesting to get a true temp reading though. How about you being our guinea pig? Take your bike for a ride and get it good and hot then stick a thermometer in the oil. Then do the same after the mod, just make sure the ambient temps are the same or within a degree or so. That would be a scientific enough experiment to satisfy me and most others on here I reckon.

Quick Reply: Cooler twin Cam engine