General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooler twin Cam engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:44 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastiff107
In ****ing British Columbia the hottest weather on record was 56 degrees F. What is this guy doing?
Have you ever been to BC? FYI, the record is Lillooet and Lytton, British Columbia 44.4 °C (112 °F). It is OFTEN in the 80's and 90's in the summer.

The following users liked this post:
LenBoyLo (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:47 PM
LenBoyLo
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Cooler twin Cam engine

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
OK!! Well, I did this on the bike and it works!! I lost 5.5*! (I have a very accurate digital Pyrometer, that I use) I did paint the inside black. Used 8-32x1" screws. The gap is about 7/16". first run, I measured oil at 196*. (I have a carbed 88" motor, runs a bit cooler than the FI models) Did the modification, which took all of about 25 minutes, including paint, you don't need to be perfect, in the paint area! Ran the exact same route, in what I would say was the exact same temps outside, came back in, measured immediately, and got 190.5*. I can't argue, it worked!

It does look kinda cool, a 3D sort of look, but I already have plans to make it look much better! (Not really "much" better, theres not much here!) I will take some brass tubing, (It polishes up nice) cut the tubes to where the gap is exactly a 1/2 ". That way, there are no jam nuts needed, and no threads show, and it will look more "finished" there. I thought about the scoop thing, but it sits out in the open pretty well and gets massive airflow, not sure some scoop, will make that much more of a difference. Its a "tinker" thing, and if you lose 5* of heat, well, what the heck!
Maybe the OP can make up a little kit and sell them, and buy us all a drink! wouldn't take much! The tubes are a better way, as you don't have to fart around making sure the distance is even on all five screws.

You could get real crazy and chrome the tubes, so they match the cam cover, or black to match the black covers
Thanks there harleycharlie. Pretty simple mod that does pay benefit, albeit small. Never was a doubt in my mind and I wasn't promoting that this would keep anyone from burning down an engine if that's the style they ride. Cheers.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (07-24-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:55 PM
dafrisco
Tourer

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

Lenboylo,

You only have 1 picture in your online album of your ride. You might have them on your pc but I dont think you uploaded them to your album

The following 2 users liked this post by dafrisco:
LenBoyLo (07-23-2017), tar_snake (07-24-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:07 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,588 Likes on 4,613 Posts

Originally Posted by LenBoyLo
Thanks there harleycharlie. Pretty simple mod that does pay benefit, albeit small. Never was a doubt in my mind and I wasn't promoting that this would keep anyone from burning down an engine if that's the style they ride. Cheers.
I forgot to tell you that the HP seemed to be up about 40% and my gas mileage is now around 70 MPG, and as a side note my insurance went down 25% and of course, the value of my bike quadrupled!!!

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 07-22-2017 at 09:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by harleycharlie1992:
05flhtbob (07-23-2017), Albe (08-02-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:22 PM
LenBoyLo
Tourer

I forgot to tell you that the HP seemed to be up about 40% and my gas mileage is now around 70 MPG, and as a side note my insurance went down 25% and of course, the value of my bike quadrupled!!!
Yeah. Mine too. But was not wanting to be braggadocios. Hahaha.

Originally Posted by dafrisco
Lenboylo,

You only have 1 picture in your online album of your ride. You might have them on your pc but I dont think you uploaded them to your album
Huh? well I did say jack of most trades. Computers isn't one of them. Hahaha. I'll try that in a bit. Thanks.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-30-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:42 PM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Brake line and fuel line steel tubing comes in a lot of different diameters and takes paint well. You can also cut and file it easy.

It does look kinda cool, a 3D sort of look, but I already have plans to make it look much better! (Not really "much" better, there's not much here!) I will take some brass tubing, (It polishes up nice) cut the tubes to where the gap is exactly a 1/2 ". That way, there are no jam nuts needed, and no threads show, and it will look more "finished" there. I thought about the scoop thing, but it sits out in the open pretty well and gets massive airflow, not sure some scoop, will make that much more of a difference. Its a "tinker" thing, and if you lose 5* of heat, well, what the heck!
Maybe the OP can make up a little kit and sell them, and buy us all a drink! wouldn't take much! The tubes are a better way, as you don't have to fart around making sure the distance is even on all five screws.

You could get real crazy and chrome the tubes, so they match the cam cover, or black to match the black covers

The following 2 users liked this post by Big Boz:
LenBoyLo (07-22-2017), tar_snake (07-24-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:27 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

I wonder if a person could suck a little more heat out of the engine if he placed a spring about the size of the cavity behind the timing cover medallion.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:38 PM
LenBoyLo
Tourer

Originally Posted by 6 gun
I wonder if a person could suck a little more heat out of the engine if he placed a spring about the size of the cavity behind the timing cover medallion.
Try looking up the Jim's timing cover heat sink. That's what they are shooting for with disc plates set in to the cavity. They claim up to 10 degrees cooler in the timing cover area. More surface area to draw more heat. North of $116 Canadian. Not going to spend my money on that though.

Folks. Pics available for view in profile album now.

Originally Posted by Qdog002
LenBoyLO, pictures didn`t come through.
Hey finally got the pictures in the right location. Look at my album now. Cheers

Originally Posted by dafrisco
Lenboylo,

Have a look at my album now. they are there. And thanks for the direction.

Originally Posted by 05flhtbob
I don't see pics either...
Pics are in my album for viewing.

Originally Posted by GTK
Lets have a picture of what you did.
GTK. Pictures now posted to my album

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-30-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:53 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't think this mod will change much. The oil pump draws 90% of the oil out of the cam chest so the oil level will not get high enough to cool sure some oil will run down but that little oil won't make a dent in the system. If your doing it for looks then I understand but cooling factor is really minor

Old 07-23-2017, 01:38 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,588 Likes on 4,613 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
I don't think this mod will change much. The oil pump draws 90% of the oil out of the cam chest so the oil level will not get high enough to cool sure some oil will run down but that little oil won't make a dent in the system. If your doing it for looks then I understand but cooling factor is really minor
5 degrees, by my measurement

The following 2 users liked this post by harleycharlie1992:
betho61 (07-23-2017), tar_snake (07-24-2017)

Quick Reply: Cooler twin Cam engine