General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Southern Machine Brake rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:39 PM
LenBoyLo
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Southern Machine Brake rotors.

Just recently bought and installed new rotors on my oftail FLSTFB. Randy at southern Machine was happy to sell a combination front/rear pair. Front fit up went splendid. Rear fit didn't because the bolt circle holes are for 5/16 bolts and the rear hub on my bike is 3/8 holes. So had to drill up on the intended rear fit rotor. So a combination set is not necessarily so. Randy didn't do anything for me other than to suggest I drill up the holes. I expected the pair to be an actual fit. First time with no modifications. Nowhere on Southern Machine site does it point out having to modify. Just be aware folks. The quality and appearance are good. Both rotors are same thickness. Usually the rear position rotor is the thicker of the two. So just sharing info.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:19 PM
buell95
Road Warrior
Received 497 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by LenBoyLo
Just recently bought and installed new rotors on my oftail FLSTFB. Randy at southern Machine was happy to sell a combination front/rear pair. Front fit up went splendid. Rear fit didn't because the bolt circle holes are for 5/16 bolts and the rear hub on my bike is 3/8 holes. So had to drill up on the intended rear fit rotor. So a combination set is not necessarily so. Randy didn't do anything for me other than to suggest I drill up the holes. I expected the pair to be an actual fit. First time with no modifications. Nowhere on Southern Machine site does it point out having to modify. Just be aware folks. The quality and appearance are good. Both rotors are same thickness. Usually the rear position rotor is the thicker of the two. So just sharing info.

Sounds like you got a front rotor for the back.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:05 AM
LenBoyLo
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Yeah. That's my point. Although packaged as a front and rear set in a blister packaging, Randy was not up front about having to modify for the rear. It doesn't matter so much to me that the rear is thinner than the original stock rotor. More so that Southern Machine or Southern Motorcycle works is not being up front or correcting a customer suggested fault. Buyer beware and anticipate questions that need to be asked. But when sold as a packaged front and rear who would expect. It wasn't insurmountable to modify at home with a drill press on high speed. Because I ordered from Canada and went two hours to US to pick them up. It wasn't worth turning them around to get my money back.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Anyone in the business of making replacement brake rotors should know whether the front and rear rotors are interchangeable or not (hint: they're not). I'd be wondering what else they don't know if they missed such an obvious detail. Thanks for the heads up.