General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Raven510
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New rider

Hey just wanted to get some thoughts. So I have never owned a bike grew up riding mini bikes ect. I want to get a road glide as my first bike I have also never rode anything with gears. The other day my boy turned me loose on his glide got out of first gear with absolutely no problem very smooth he also had me doing u turns left hand turning around was also very smooth and easy but I stalled out on right hand turning around. The bike it self is a lot of bike but I felt comfortable Once I got it going. My question is being that I have no experience with gears do you think I'm jumping the gun with a glide.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Big L
Road Warrior

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts

I'd invest in the Motorcycle safety course, there they teach you enough to assist you in going forward.
BTW Welcome to the Forum from Auburn, Georgia!
Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2017, 12:11 PM
Raven510
Novice

Thanks and I do plan on getting into the course just have to wait a few months but I have an opportunity to get my glide this week I wasn't planning on going out and riding hard until I take the course just parking lot practice

Old 06-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Big L
Road Warrior

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts

Well then, I say go for it and practice, practice, practice.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Raven510
Novice

Thanks I appreciate the help

Old 06-29-2017, 03:46 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Welcome from central Texas. Do not be a stranger to the forum, shoot some pics of your bike, as soon as you get it, and we'll be waiting to see them.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:34 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven510
Hey just wanted to get some thoughts. So I have never owned a bike grew up riding mini bikes ect. I want to get a road glide as my first bike I have also never rode anything with gears. The other day my boy turned me loose on his glide got out of first gear with absolutely no problem very smooth he also had me doing u turns left hand turning around was also very smooth and easy but I stalled out on right hand turning around. The bike it self is a lot of bike but I felt comfortable Once I got it going. My question is being that I have no experience with gears do you think I'm jumping the gun with a glide.
Yes. Get a beginner bike since that is what you are. Or, get a Ridley.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,662 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven510
Similar background to you, except my Honda 50 was a 3 speed.
I started on an XL1200 Custom, 2 years now. Almost dropped it in a parking lot when practicing low speed/U-turns and it stalled in a lean. If it was 100-200 pounds heavier, it would've hit the tarmac.

I couldn't/wouldn't recommend a bike as heavy as a RG to start. Can it be done? Sure. But I think anyone who's honest will admit that in the first year or two, we make mistakes. Those mistakes can be magnified and harder to compensate for on a bigger bike.

If you're willing to take that chance, just remember it could be more than a damaged bike, it could be a damaged you. Or it will work out just fine.

All the best with whatever you decide! And welcome from NE PA.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:51 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,231 Likes on 5,992 Posts

Welcome from Spartan Country Michigan!!
my typical recommendations.... if you're new, get your first experiences on a smaller used bike. something that won't "hurt as much" if you should go down. if you do start on your dream bike, be cautious and ride in outlying areas. there is much to learn and much to grow accustomed with. get yourself service manual, parts manual, and notebook. record all your service, maintenance, accessories, repairs....everything you do to your bike. it will prove invaluable down the road. I also recommend an app like fuel buddy...record all your fuel usage. learn what your bike gets on fuel mileage. how many miles per tank. how far you can go. never trust your fuel guage. I always reset my trip odometer at every fill. learn your bike.
there is much...so much more....to learn about riding besides learning how to turn and shift. good luck!

Old 07-01-2017, 04:10 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Welcome and I hope all goes well with your decision. I do have a question for you. You state that you need to get it now. Why if I may ask? A buddy selling his maybe?

Quick Reply: New rider